Slide out bed area in jayco

Submitted: Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 21:56
ThreadID: 95631 Views:6143 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
We are thinking about purchasing a jayco with a slide out, I have read that some people say they can leak and can be noisy while sliding out and others say that they haven't had any problems with them at all.

What else I would like to know, is can you use them while this area is not slid out, in case they did happen to leak?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: itsme - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:38

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:38
We've had a Swan for over 4 years and used it a lot in that time. Never had a problem with leaking, even in torrential rain. I wouldn't try to use the beds without sliding them out.
AnswerID: 486091

Follow Up By: meg_12 - Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:44

Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 22:44
The slide out I mean is in the Jayco Sterling caravan, I should have been more specific on which Jayco I meant.

We used to have a Jayco Campervan, with the slide out ends, many many happy memories of holidaying with our children.

Now it's all about us, so we are updating from a Jayco Westport poptop to a Jayco Sterling with ensuite :)
FollowupID: 761345

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 06:25

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 06:25
Hi. We have a 2010 Sterling with the slide out bed. Never had a leak problem and it has been really tested. You can use the bed with it slid in but there is not much room at the bottom if you want to get past, especially at the wheel arch area.
I think the leak problem was with the earlier first version. Pretty sure they are standard on this years model and have an even better drive mechanism than ours. I think it is one of the best things you can have in a van. Very practical and makes heaps of room. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 486094

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 12:33

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 12:33
Slide-out technology has gotten better and better. You should have a warranty with the new van anyway. If anything, an open roof hatch would cause more leakage then a modern slide-out. :) Enjoy your travels!
AnswerID: 486124

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:29

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 17:29
Hi Meg_12,

We have a Sterling and have heard of a couple of people having some problem or other with slide outs and have been told by one Jayco owner with a slide out that it was OK.

I was impressed with the slide out lounge on one Sterling I saw but after hearing a couple of negative stories, not only about Jayco Sterlings I decided to steer clear.
My thoughts are that the little bit of inconvenience experienced, by not having a slide out, is overshadowed by any potential problems which could arise in the future.

What we now do is leave the bed extended during the day and only close it in if we are travelling to the next destination. It is not that much of a squeeze around the end of the bed when it is extended anyway and the worry I would get if we developed problems with a slide out could not justify taking the chance.

No doubt others will come along and tell you there is no problem but there are plenty that have had problems.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486152

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Friday, May 18, 2012 at 21:46

Friday, May 18, 2012 at 21:46
I think they would let a significant amount of dust in, if you take it off the bitumen.
I have followed a number of vans with slide outs, and when they go around corners, watch the whole slide out flex within the frame.
But if you don't go on the dirt you should be fine.
Having the benefit of the extra room is fantastic.
You can always put the retractable awning on which will help with weather.
BW.
AnswerID: 486186

Follow Up By: achjimmy - Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 07:59

Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 07:59
The flexing is no different to the door I guess only bigger?

The 2012 sterling we saw last week already came with an awning on top.
FollowupID: 761438

Reply By: Member - wadams - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 20:41
yep, I am one of those that have had no problem. We currently live in a 25ft Sterling with 2 slide-outs. Summer and winter, no problem. Spent two wet seasons camped up at Kununurra in the Kimberleys and never had a drop of water get in. We don't use the 'bolster' when the bed slideout is in or out and there is plenty of room to get around the bottom of the bed.
Only problem we had was that we were camped up in an area where there were a lot of blowflies. Found they were getting in the van under the slideout where the screw is so i blocked it up with foam. That stopped the little blighters. Also had to put midgie mesh over the vents for the fridge and microwave as this was also an access point for them. Happy travels

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486498

Reply By: meg_12 - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 21:37
We had our eye on one locally, a 2007, well maintained with an annex and reasonably priced, I rang them today, and wouldn't you know it...... they sold it yesterday.

Once we had made up our mind, the one we liked ended up being sold....

Back to looking in the papers and surfing the internet for another :(
AnswerID: 486503

Sponsored Links