Tanami track in an EA Ford!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:20
ThreadID: 9564 Views:2320 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My parents are preparing to head off across the tanami track in their ea falcon towing a camper trailer.Does any one know road conditions at the moment. And will they make it in their trusty old falcon.

Cheers

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:47

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:47
Dave, I wouldn't trust an EA to drive down to the paper shop.

MarkGetaway Portable Refrigerator Hire
AnswerID: 42097

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:55

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:55
My Memory of the Tanami, circa 1995 is one of which I would never consider taking an EA or anything even like it!

4x4 or nothing! I saw a couple of 4x2 utes up there, but most of them had winches and a couple of spare tyres aboard.

EA? Forget it!
AnswerID: 42099

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:13
Our Road Conditions NT report currently states
"The Tanami Road is OPEN.
From the end of the seal to WA border - High clearance 4WD

you will find this by navigating to Road Conditions from beneath the On the Road menu tab at the top of the ExplorOz site.

Generally, the Tanami is a vitural highway in most places but can quickly become messy in places after rain. It is heavily used by mining traffic and road trains, and all manner of tourist vehicles and is not really an interesting drive but taken as short cut. At this time of year, I would advise caution your parents but it isn't impossible. The last part of the report recommending high clearance 4WD indicates that the first stretch of dirt in NT towards the border is currently a problem that should be avoided by your parents unless conditions change. I would ring to find out the next grading schedule as that will fix it up.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 42104

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:35

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:35
David, from Alice or Halls Creek? either way there has been some rain near the WA/NT border and also along the Territory side near the Eastern end of the track. It may be ok but grading will not commence until the end of the wet season. corrugations are pretty interesting to say the least. Then again you just never never know. I think a wise person would go via the hwy and Katherine. rgds
AnswerID: 42108

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:45

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:45
Good one David R, thought you were serious for a minute. You forgot to add that they have RAC Assist so when they do break down, a serviceman will be there within the hour after they call him on their mobile phone.

You are kidding right!!! Surely no-one is that irresponsible these days.
AnswerID: 42115

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:57
I'd get them a copy of the ABC series "The Bush Mechanics" and get them to watch every episode. Most of the locals seem to get around in old falcons, but then they do seem to spend a lot of time sitting around waiting for help. If their car does break down all they have to do is roll it onto its roof, set fire to it, and continue the trip some other way :-) Seriously though, how old are your parents? Do they have a medical condition that might find them out when a wheel has to be changed and its 45 degrees?Bob
AnswerID: 42118

Reply By: Cameron - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:41
Dave
We went up the Tanami last july, and was surprised at the number of "cars" we saw at Rabbit flat. It could be done, it would be slow, but I would not do it and not advise it in anything with only modest clearance.
If your parents are with telstra, I had coverage for about 20km around the mine, scared the daylights out of me when message bank beeped, I called back to work (to boast) and spoke for about ten minute before I lost reception.!!!!! so they might be able to call back for help !!!!
Cameron
AnswerID: 42126

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:03

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:03
David,
Have been watching satellite images over the past 24 hours, of cloud mass, and there appears to have been some heavy storms over much of that area. Get some local knowledge to be sure, then follow the bitumen!

Hooroo...
AnswerID: 42134

Reply By: warrenr - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:11

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:11
Dave

Are your parents nuts??

Why don't they just take a nice leisurely camping trip to Innaminka and enjoy the 48 degree heat??

Time for a houseboat holiday I think.

AnswerID: 42658

Follow Up By: david r - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:26

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:26
By the sounds of it they would be crazy to attempt this.
I will mention the houseboat holiday to them instead .It would be more their speed I think.
Thanks for the comments.
Dave
FollowupID: 305026

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:19
I believe this road will be blacktop in the very near future. I think they're upgrading all the bridges this yeaqr and bitumenising it soon after that. Tell your parents to wait a bit longer or be very careful and well informed
AnswerID: 42901

Sponsored Links