'00 Hilux 2.7 fuel economy

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:21
ThreadID: 9565 Views:4345 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I posted an email recently to this forum regarding purchasing a Hilux 2.7 vs a Rodeo 2.8. Thank you all for you responses :-)

This is just a follow up for anyone who may be interested in our first impressisons and experiences as a first time 4wd owner.

We finally decided to purchase the Dual Cab Hilux. As a newbie 4wd owner, I didn't really want to add lack of knowledge of diesel engines to the mix, plus the number of K's we are likely to do was not really warranting the Turbo Diesel purchase. So we went the 2.7 Lux

We did 760km over the New Year (I know plenty of people do that every day) and had a fuel return of just over 72 litres Certainly better than we were expecting. The Lux is fitted with an ARB b/bar and hitch, plus a canopy, and we had it pretty well loaded up to boot.

Observations -

- Car drivers have little regard for the overtaking opportunities afforded a 4wd - preaching to the converted probably.

- The Lux is much better with a bit of weight on board, doesn't pogo down the road - as much :-) May need to visit suspension mods 101 methinks.

- It has plenty of power for what we need.

- Its very quite inside, low fatigue on long trips - - not sure - but likely.

- Standard lights suck, fitted my Cibie Oscars from younger hooning/rally days and going from high to low is not so bad, but from high +driving lights to low is like - holy crap who flicked the switch? Any recommendations for replacement of std sealed rectangular units?

- Don't have to slow down in side streets with parked cars when there is an oncoming vehicle - yeeha - take that you annoying car drivers :-0 Not really, we still do the courteous thing, but its awful tempting sometimes.

- Best of all, we can now do the sort of stuff we have been itching to do/been held back from for years!

Cheers, and happy new year to all,

Stephen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KG - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:41
Hi Stephen,

I have a 2.7petrol 00 xcab hilux and i get around 14l/100klm around town... as good as 11l/100klm on the highway.... based on your stats you're getting just over 10l/100klms!!!!!!!

was this all highway running?

cheers,

KG

AnswerID: 42112

Follow Up By: Kasplat - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:11
Yep, that was 95% highway - pity about the 5% suburbia.
FollowupID: 304568

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:02

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:02
Try upgrading the standard lights with some of the + series of globes. Past posts on this forum seem to recommend them. Otherwise upgrade available from any 4WD store which includes wiring, relays etc. As for being courteous - why is there this psychological need for anyone driving a normal car to have to be in front of a 4WD? Even when sitting above the limit they must pass then get in front and slow down. Worse when I am towing my trailer (at the limit of course). As for braking distance - If only a few big semis would actually wipe out some of the morons who cut in front at lights etc the message may get across and make life easier for us all. Other than that - you will no doubt be sucked into the great movement of getting out and enjoying this country - enjoy all the experiences as even the bad ones become good campfire yarns. rgds
AnswerID: 42119

Follow Up By: Kasplat - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:18
The courteous bit was in reference to suburban back streets, as for the highway, well regardless of where I am, I tend to treat people the way I would like to be treated myself, no more no less. If that ain't good enough for them well then it may be a different story ;-)

Agree 100% with the must pass mentality.... but aren't speed cameras supposed to fix everything? Including teaching people basic road sense and skill - not bloody likely! Sorry I live in Vctoria, we have more speed cameras than cops I think??? It would be refreshing to see some cops out policing the roads and pulling up idiots for doing stupid stuff rather than relying on speed cameras to make money - ooops do I detect a bit of cynicism?

Will check out the lights, mine are sealed units with the olde three prong connector - no access to a globe, its a replacement unit jobbie.

Cheers,

Stephen
FollowupID: 304570

Sponsored Links