Feedback about Engel 39L

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 18:51
ThreadID: 9566 Views:3037 Replies:13 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I just received a Feedback form from someone using our system (without a valid email address I might add) that seems to think that we are kidding when we advise that you can survive with 2 adults and 1 young kid with a 39L engel. The person seemed to think that that was living in a caravan park with supplies just around the corner - little do they realise that we do in fact live like this for up to 6 weeks in the desert with the odd top up at remote stores along the way. I'm sure most of you experienced outback travellers will relate to knowing how to pack the right kinds of foods, and that many people can even manage to do desert trips such as the CSR without a fridge at all, as perishables soon deplete when they reach their usebydate. I fill mine with cryovac meats that will last the distance, and other condiments that will last the entire trip, blocks of cheese, drinks, UHT milk 1l at a time from dry stores. This person seemed to think that we didn't know what we were talking about but didn't give me a valid email address to clarify, hence this forum post. You get all types don't you!!Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:13

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:13
gday michelle.
you do get all types lol.
we just bought a 90ltr waeco and 50 litre ice box and was worried that wouldnt be enough lol.
ps theres 6 of us thoughyou reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 42103

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 00:53

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 00:53
90 ltr not enough?? AND a 50??!?!?!?!?!

your problem will be where to put the flammin giant thing!!! with the rear seats in, I dont knjow where you store shait now, specially when you turned up at the Pyrenees and kept pulling tents and bleep out!!!
FollowupID: 304620

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:18
Yes, but to be fair, we travel frugaly as our priorities are on keeping the vehicle running so spares and parts fill the vehicle and food, hey, who needs that? No, joking, those of you that know me, know that I'm always the biggest camp cook - we serve up huge gourmet meals, but we don't eat junk. We don't carry cans of coke, or pkts of chips etc, we eat fruit and nuts and I bake the bread etc. We don't eat desert, so that must keep some of the bulk down too. Each to their own - if you can take it, and its a priority, why not? Enjoy it however you do it.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 42105

Follow Up By: Viola - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:50

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:50
Darling we manage perfectly well with a 50 litre fridge.
Darling we eat like queens and kings in the bush all washed down with a fine beer or a drop of a fine red depending on the temperature of the day.
Darlng I would never insult our bodies to eat junk.
UHT lite milk from Coles or Bilo even though we normally shop at Safeway/Woolworths. Coles or Bilo home brand lite UHT milk cold tastes like fresh,
Dehydrated peas,
dehydrated beans,
dehydrated onions when we run out of fresh,
powdered potato when we run out of fresh and also use it for thickening at times as it gives the sauce a great consistency,
dehydrated carrots when we run out of fresh,,
dehydrated corn when we run out of fresh,
tinned fish,
sardines,
corned beef,
tinned ham and chicken,
Cryovac meat,
Darling we eat high fibre cereal for breakfast with glacé ginger cut up fine and dried fruit medley with milk
Take some pocket breads with us and then make an Indian and Turkish style bread when those are finished.
Darling I have everything well organised in the eating department with a check list so when I run out I know what to buy and replace it with. I have a range of spices and condiments and can make anything and everything in the bush and carry small jars of things like corn flour and coconut powdered milk.
Darling people cannot believe how well we eat in the bush and how quickly I make such gourmet meals.
Darling anybody especially with a family that does not own a dehydrator is wasting buckets of money on food. Darling duckie I would never ever be without a dehydrator suck as a Fowlers Dehydrator
Darling I do not dehydrate things like peas or beans that I can buy at a reasonable price, but we dehydrate a large number of other items and make great fruit and muesli bars at a fraction of the price. Darling I would estimate the dehydrator would save us a minimum of $1000 a year
FollowupID: 304661

Reply By: Mark from Getaway Portable Refrigerator Hire - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:18
Michelle, If you see someone driving down the CSR with a 250litre tuckerbox freezer on the back you will know who sent it :-)
But seriously, you would be surprised how many people do not know about UHT Milk, cryovac meat packs etc, they think that you have to take the family fridge to get by..
Regards

MarkGetaway Portable Refrigerator Hire
AnswerID: 42106

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:14

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:14
they're the ones who shouldn't be out in the desert too
FollowupID: 305216

Reply By: Leroy - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:38
A 40l hold 60 cans and the 60 holds more than 80! That person knows nothing. A 40l is more than adequate!! hehe Seriously though I was skeptical initially but I have 40l more than adequate.

Leroy
AnswerID: 42109

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:49
My 40l Engle has managed to keep a touring party of up to six going for 6 weeks without any dramas in northwest NSW. The other two were new to 4WD trips and had virtually nothing. I bought a 70 litre cooler along the way (for the drinks), and with a little thought and carefull management it was easy.
So esy that they thought they would never need to buy a car fridge at all ... until I told them I would not be with them on every trip. Now they both have larger Engels.
Incidentally, my one is virtually bulletproof - cannot believe it still goes after some of the treatment is has received.
Cyrovac and UHT milk ... way to go.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 42128

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:52
Michelle, wasn't it you who posted some time back that you could keep your cryovac meat out of the fridge and ?wrapped in newspaper for an extended time. Was wondering just how long it might keep.

I remember someone saying that they did this and just scraped off the slime or what ever it was that collects and the meat is fine. Doesn't sound attractive though!

AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 42129

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:21

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:21
Didn't need refrigeration in the old days eh, what did the Europeans all head East for the spices for. Cook it hard and cover the flavour is not necessarily my reccommendation. LOL

There is always the salt beef and ham for preservatives too which still serve up well if done right. Think I still prefer it cool though :)

Andrew, glad you didn't try to give us a recipe for the slime.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 304582

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:00

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:00
I just found Michelle's info and I have given you a Bum Steer (pun intended). Michelle said that you don't have to refridgerate cryovacced meat but that they did refridgerate their meat. But she did say "Slime"!!!
See posts 249 and 4273. We put ours in the fridge and it lasted and was fine at five weeks with not much slime!My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 304590

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:25

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:25
for 2 adults, 2 kids we'll pack our 39l with... (changes depending on nature of trip)

2 1l plastic bottles of milk (1 lite, 1 heavy)
2 1l juice cartons (or 1 2l)
1 2l water container
4 1l decor containers (for tomatoes, leftovers, meats, etc)
6 cans soft drink
5 cans beer
(cans are kept together using a 6-pack carry carton - 6 on bottom , then another 5 or 6 stacked on top)
1 jar pickles (takes up a beer spot)
1 plastic bottle mayonaisse
1 plastic bottle tomato sauce
1 2l wine bladder (yalumba strong plastic)
1 small butter tub
cheese slices
4 packets of sliced cold meats (KR or HANS are usually the flattest)
1 packet tim tams

all major food groups covered!
Cheers,
Stuart
- To err is human, to moo bovine -
AnswerID: 42141

Reply By: rossco - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 22:49
We purchased a 40L Engel in 2002. We were tossing up between the 40L and the 70L. My wife's only criteria to the size was that it must be able to stand up at least one champagne bottle.
AnswerID: 42148

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 00:17

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 00:17
I like your style Rossco.

I was given the same brief but selected a Waeco CF50. Without too much care and attention this is plenty of space for 2 adult and 3 kids for two weeks... without sacrificing the selection of cheese and pates.

Cheers,
Pete
FollowupID: 304616

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:56

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 09:56
Hedonist....you can't do it too tough!!

Leroy
FollowupID: 304646

Reply By: Thommo - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:35

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 01:35
The solution to storage of food is to bung in a heap of curry and stick it on the roof rack, it will cook itself. More time to drink beer thats been safely stored in the fridge.
Seriously, with four in our family, when I moved up from a 29lt to to a 40, it thought I was in heaven. It just takes some thought.
Thommo.
AnswerID: 42177

Reply By: Andi - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:59

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:59
I too have a forty litre nearly 12 months old would fit everything but.... Anybody know how to stop my wife from wanting to alway take away a lettuce and keep it cold?????????
AnswerID: 42200

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:30

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:30
I've had a 60ltr. Engel for around 3 years and have the same problem with the cook wanting to put food in it!
Doesn't she realise I could die of dehydration by doing this?

Excellent fridge though which I take out of the Landie between trips and put in my study (spare bedroom doesn't sound half so good) and use it for the excess bargains she keeps buying at the butchers!
FollowupID: 304656

Follow Up By: G.T. - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 16:17

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 16:17
Alan, Tupperware make one, the draw back is that it is very bulky. So if you get an invite to a Tupperware party, don`t make excuses not to attend! L.O.L. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 305037

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:03

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:03
Michelle,

Couldn't agree more with you. For many years Greg and I travelled very comfortably with just a 21L engel. Eventually we upgraded to a 39L engel and manage very comfortably for our family of three. Sounds like we do things very similar to yourselves...cryovac meat, UHT milk & juice 1L at a time, rotate water bottles so always a cold drink on hand, a few cans of beer & coke at a time (replaced as used), 2L wine bladder, condiments, cheese, marg, luncheon meats (cryovac packs or knobs). We like dessert so often have a UHT custard or small cream in as well. We never carry fruit or veg in our fridge...simply no need. Hubby maintains that we eat better when camping that at home!

Met a couple recently who were on the last leg of a 12mth around Oz trip. We got to talking and they revealed that their biggest problem had been lack of fridge space and keeping fresh meat. Looking in the back of their 4WD I noted they had a 60L engel so I was rather surprised by their comments and said so. They lifted the lid and low and behold, the fridge was chocka block full of F&V, a few trays of meat straight off the supermarket shelf. Not wanting to come across as a know-it-all I casually suggested that they should consider cryovac meat and other methods of keeping their F&V apart from in the fridge. Thus they began to grill me about what we do and I eventually left shaking their heads in amazement. It simply hadn't occurred to them that there was other ways apart from piling everything into the fridge.

I've been camping since I was knee high to a budgy and long before portable fridges were available (let alone the norm) so I suppose I have the benefit of experience but I think there are plenty of campers out there who would benefit from having a chat with the older members of our society about how they used to get by before every household had a fridge.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
AnswerID: 42229

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:29

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:29
Michelle,
No point repeating a lot of the other comments but I used to like drinking beer out of a stubbie, I got a couple of marks on the inside of my Engle, found it was the bottle tops touching the sides, the hardness of the bottle top is a lot harder than the hardness of the cooling plate. I only ever get cans now and put up with the difference in taste. Plus I find those 150 gram plastic packs of Tuna to be a really efficient use of space and also low rubbish generators. Found these plastic oblong containers last week that is a perfect fit into the bottom of a 39 litre Engle that has a marinating shelf inside, ideal for storing salad items and keeping them separated at the same time. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 42234

Reply By: Member- Rox - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:35

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:35
Yes its a good size but not big enough when the fish are bitting like the 28,29/12/2003 when we caught 120 fish & kept 80 (4 families 1 fridge)1991 80Series Std Diesel
2003 Down Under Camper
AnswerID: 42435

Sponsored Links