Innovan

Submitted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 at 13:49
ThreadID: 95660 Views:5958 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had experience with Innovan slide-ons or campers in the last couple of years. It looks like a great concept but hearing from people who have actuallly bought or used one seems hard to come by.
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wearyabin - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 20:34

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 20:34
Good evening Rob
I have been watching with interest to see if you've got any replies to your request for information from actual users of an Innovan. I too am very interested and am seriously considering buying one. I first saw the Innovan on the Labour Day long-weekend in Queensland a couple of weeks ago. We were camping in a group and one of the group had a tray-mounted Innovan on a Landcruiser and we were super impressed with what we saw.

Our friends had had their tray mounted Innovan for about three years. They had done numerous trips including the Cape. They were impressed with the ease of setup and with the comfort and the fact that there is no canvas.

Then I found another Camper Trailer (CT) Innovan in the same park. I spoke briefly to the owners of the other CT Innovan. Theirs was about three months old and they appeared to be a very experienced campers. I think they had all the options including extra water tanks and air-conditioning.

I have been in contact with the company and got their prices etc. Apparently there are not too many in Queensland and they have offered to put me in contact with a recent purchaser in Brisbane to allow me to inspect one of the latest versions.

There are only a few references to Innovan in this forum. In one of the blogs in 2007 the writer is excited about acquiring a new Innovan in the next week but there appears to be no further follow-up from him in respect to his new purchase. In fact his picture on his avatar shows a LandRover towing an Ultimate. So maybe he never went ahead with the Innovan or has replaced it with an Ultimate. I will try and see if I can contact him to get advice.

Like you, I would be very interested in other forum member’s opinions or experience.

Rhys
AnswerID: 486687

Follow Up By: robin h2 - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:12
Hi Rhys,
Your reply most interesting. Lack of further contacts in 2-weeks consistent with our experience so far. A few mentions back in 07 and then largely silence. Such a great design, entirely practical yet stylish and comfortable. Also appealing that the designer is a Queensland farmer and knows exactly what works and doesn't. Very tough getting these things off the ground even when it's a great idea. I'm amazed you encountered two Innovans in the one park. I've travelled all over the country and have never sighted one in the wild. I also gather they' no longer attend shows but rely on word of mouth. Are you interested in the slide-on or the trailer?
Rob
FollowupID: 762154

Follow Up By: Wearyabin - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:25

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 21:25
Hi Rob,
Missed your reply. Had not been watching the site properly and also did not notice the email alert.

We will be interested in the trailer version Innovan not the slide-on. I have a 100 series Landcruiser and do not intend to change. The Innovan owner is currently away fishing (probably with his tray top I expect) but is expected back after this weekend.
He will contact me to discuss some of my questions. I have asked him about a diesel heater (in another blog another person had installed a Webasto heater successfully).

The Brisbane caravan show starts on Wednesday. I will go and look at what’s there, but am very keen at this stage on the Innovan design. I note that Bushtracker is planning to launch a small version of their off road van with the release of a 14 ft poptop. We were probably going to eventually get a 19-20 ft Bushtracker until we saw the Innovan and have made a rather significant switch in direction. So we will be keen to look at the 14 ft Bushtracker, but an Innovan certainly provides that 'wow' design factor and appears to have the ability to go where we would like to with ease and comfort.

I will ask for an introduction to a recent buyer in Brisbane so I can get some info on how they are finding it. Will let you know of any further info as it come to hand.
Rhys

FollowupID: 762722

Sponsored Links