Keep you children away from Chooks

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:29
ThreadID: 9568 Views:2696 Replies:10 FollowUps:26
This Thread has been Archived
Was reading about Steve Irwin and I came across someone saying that next people wouldn't be allowed to take children into Chook pens. I was shocked that anyone would even consider doing this when you think about the lethal diseases that you can catch from chooks. In fact, I think that more children are likely to die from being taken into chook pens than Crocodile pens.

Here is a selection of the diseases. I bet everyone will feel sick if their children have ever been near a chook.

Diseases transmissible to man include:
• chlamydiosis (psittacosis) — birds can carry this organism and show few signs until stressed. It is rare in chickens, but there are a number of reports in association with slaughter of ducks and close association with pigeons and parrot species.
« insect-borne viruses, such as Murray Valley Encephalitis and Ross River Fever. There are many viruses whose natural host is the bird and which in man can cause mild to severe disease. Domestic poultry are rarely infected but they do have the potential to harbour such viruses.
• bacteria (Salmonella, Campylobacter). In common with most species, poultry can become infected with these enteric bacteria, usually from contaminated feed stuffs or environment. The organisms are shed in the faeces.

I have a video of my kids holding a little chicken at their kindergarten. Thank God it never made it on 'A Current Affair'

AnonymousMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 19:54
When I was little I had some chickens. Eventually they grew into chooks and went into the chook pen with the others. Now I understand why I am not able to find a chook pen anywhere in my suburb. With all these diseases around I can understand why the local council has banned chooks, ducks, geese, and pigeons. I am now it is for my own protection and that of my family and fellow urban dwellers. I'm not sure if crocs are actually banned in my suburb but everything else either is or is planned to be. Somewhere I have a video of the aftermath of an Emu suicide on my bull bar and the kids carrying out an autopsy. The diseases they have no doubt been in contact with would make me an antihero on tv. I guess the same goes for our dog, cat, rabbit, the bloody doves, maggies, parrots, willy wagtails etc that have taken up rsidence on our property. You know some moron here in WA is actually taking the Main Roads Dept to court for damages for hitting a roo with his vehicle on the hwy - insufficient signd - and yes it was in the country. Now if only I can get a chook to infect my kids (i'm not silly - no way is anything going to get me) and somehow get on tv with tracy and hit a roo on my way to the studio I can most probably sue everyone including the seat cover manufacturer. What is all this rambling about - stuffed if I know but at least if I get sick or do something that is my responsiblity it is just that - my responsibility, no one elses. rgds
AnswerID: 42117

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:17

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:17
I'm surprised I made it through my childhood as I used to live in the chook house as a kid. It was my job to dig out the lovely poo and distribute it over the vege garden. Then when the chooks wouldn't cough up the goods i'd wring their necks for christmas dinner. Talk about child abuse but it was fun and hey I didn't end up a mass murderer.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
AnswerID: 42121

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:24
You sound like you have lived dangerously, Ray. Playing in all the chook poo which is probably good for you - works for my fruit trees!

The other thing Ray........

Happy Birthday too You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday dear Mad Dog
Happy Birthday 2U.

I tried sending this yesterday but Australia Post had some pwoblem.
AndrewMy Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 304572

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:03

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:03
LOL!

I wasn't the same, but you've got to hand it to Steve Erwin to give a sense of Aussie perspective.

He's lived with crocks and other aussie wildlife for all his life and he's pretty much sane!

CRIKEY! Don't MUCK with it!

FollowupID: 304648

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:10

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:10
Yannow they feed chooks to crocodiles! Thats how the chook was established in Australia as croc food, and ya don't see a crook croc now do ya, so I reckon its just something that they dreamed up onthe Discovery channel , diseases from chooks, next things they'll be telling us you can get skin diseases from the SUN! pshaw!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304718

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:29
Andrew and Jen, no doubt it is all being raised again and best be forgotten but we do increase the risks as you say. The MVEncephalitis and/or Ross River Fever if indeed we go camping in parts of Australia we are increasing risk for they are mosquito borne.

If your dog goes to a sheep paddock beware of Hydatid worm which forms a cyst in humans, or sheep again. Kids or you. I am not going to go to all the zoonoses or diseases that can be transferred to humans, but there are many and some potentially fatal.

Don't forget that it is now wrong for farmers to get kids ( even their grand kids ) to do so many things without a parental permission and a police check now, even to the extent of feeding the chooks as you mention. Nanny State Victoria we are!Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 42125

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:38

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 20:38
Ahhhhh - I had my tongue firmly in my cheek which is where I like it to live most of the time. Ying and Yang stuff - after a bit of bluster we should have a bit of laughter. Part of childhood is really exploring and as I said to someone today; "No risk, no fun." Just going out and meeting people is a risk you've got to take, kissing is a filthy thing but - hey - when you are 19 - you don't give a stuff. Actually at 42 I don't give a stuff - but JohnR - don't u line up for one!
FollowupID: 304575

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:00

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:00
Hahah Andrew, won't be lining up for a kiss mate, reckoned you had a bit of fun with it too.

I had not included the piece about Targets being one of the reasons that people seem to get asthma in the family. Had mentioned that to The Navigator but she reckoned it was getting off on the tangent a bit too far. Targets to me are the small felines that people seem to attract to their homes. Can't see any reason why. Not the object of my kiss either, except with the "lead vet".Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 304581

Reply By: Flash - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:08

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:08
I thought comedy was illegal now,
Santa definitely is in some schools!

How come there hasn't been any agro yet on this topic...........
Speaking of cut and pasting, I like your "We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
Happy 2004 one and all.
AnswerID: 42130

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 21:37
>How come there hasn't been any agro yet on this topic...........

Some may have learnt it's not a good look.

Cool dudes don't get agro.I may be mad but I'm not crazy
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY
â
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 304584

Follow Up By: Brian - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:05

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:05
Nah.... nothing here for anyone to get aggro about ..... all good clean fun, the way it ought to be!!!!!
Cheers
Brian
FollowupID: 304631

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:13
Clean? Clean?? them chooks arent clean they just ablute in theor chook abodes and they don't even wipe afterwards and guess where eggs come from? No wonder they are banning walking on eggshells in this forum!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304719

Reply By: Nomad - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2004 at 23:58
Aw Geez Fellas

I'm glad I'm not growing up now. We didn't know anything about all this stuff when we grew up. We had a great time. Guess I'm a little bit cautious with my kids with some things but that generally only involves other people.

No wonder we are a sick race these days. We are "protected" from all sorts of evil, but perhaps that's evil in it's self.

A mate of my old Mum had a young'un and wouldn't let him go outside or let you inside if you had a cold. Poor little bugger, first time he got near a cold bug it knocked him flat. Could be a moral to be learnt there.

Cheers
Nomad
AnswerID: 42162

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:46

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:46
Well I must be a slack mum [or is that grandmum - I'm confused, obviously my great age is causing memory probs]...Tegan and Callum feed next door's chooks and handle them, we've had the geese and turkeys from up the road free range in our front yard, and both T & C run about freely down the back with a 70kg+ dog and another that is about 25kgs...and both the kids and the dogs love it....and they also feed the pony...next I'll be in trouble coz they're breathing fresh air....as my mother inlaw keeps telling me in her scottish brogue "you've got to eat a peck o dirt before you die" and my kids have eaten stacks...ahahhaha...

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

AnswerID: 42186

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 18:16

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 18:16
Yeh, good one Lyn, the more dirt and creature poo the kids eat the better resistance they have to fight any thing that enters their system. Our eldest son, when about 12months ate a couple chookyooks like rumballs. I freaked as usual, but my scottish dad says "a dob a day keeps the doctor away" He has proved himself right, we had the healthiest kids in the neighbourhood, and they still are. I am more paranoid of people's......... anything. Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304701

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:17

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:17
Fresh air doesnt start until you hit the 200km radius from a capital city GPO, so don't fool yourself into thinking that Callum and Tegan are breathing fresh air, its just air that they breathe, If it was fresh you could buy it st Safeway!

Love the pic of your grandkids Lyn.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304720

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:20
I think your mother in law is probably refering to your cooking when she says the kids have to eat a peck of dirt!
My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304723

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:41

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:41
Bonz...geez you can be jaded....lol...Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 304766

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:42

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 06:42
Andrew...hadn't realised you'd sampled my cuisine...Life - Live it , Love it !

FollowupID: 304767

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:33

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:33
BUGGER , what a dangerous world we live in ,think I will invest in a plastic bubble for my grand children before a mad chook , mossie ,dog ,crock,or general nutter gets them,not to mention Volvo drivers LOLTelfer mines rd camp
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 42194

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:18

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:18
You're not having a go at Mad Dog are ya Peter, he's getting on yannow and he just had a birthday so go easy on him for a week or so then its Mad Dog season starting for another 11 months.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304721

Reply By: Justin - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:33

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:33
Funny, a while back they linked the Increase in asthma to the increasingly sterile environments kids grow up in. Apparently back in the old day's the dirt and dust helped kids build an immunity to some of the nasties.
Cheers,
Justin
AnswerID: 42209

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:00

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:00
It seems to me that we think of bacteria as bad and infections as things to be avoided. I think that this way of thinking will be proven wrong in the long term. Like most things, it might be use it or lose it. I reckon that a child needs to get things like gastro and colds and pimples and other rotten bugs that make you crook but don't really harm you. It seems stupid to try and avoid them. Our middle kid, Lachie, has allergies to peanuts and eggs and other tree nuts and also to latex -can't have balloons. He gets asthma and eczema. His immune system is a bit haywire - it shouldn't be trying to fight things like that as peanuts or balloons are not going to invade your body and kill you.
FollowupID: 304738

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:32

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:32
Hmm, how times have changed. One of my folks favourite stories about us kids growing up relates to my oldest brother and how as a youngster he used to love playing in the dirt/poo/god-knows-what-else concoction found in the chook pen. At every opportunity he'd disappear up to the chook pen and get covered from head to foot in the stuff. Mum even reckoned he was eating it!!! She spoke to the family doctor about it and he basically said "Don't worry about - it won't kill him." To be fair to the doc, my brother is now 48 so it was a long time ago and obviously it didn't kill him (although perhaps it did do some damage which would explain a lot, LOL).

Having said all that, I have been concerned about my neighbours recent addition of a chook pen in the very back corner of their standard residential size block. They live on a corner block so their back fence is our side fence. The result is that whilst their chook pen is as far from their house as they can put it, it's right at the side of our house - literally 1.5 metres from our car port, 3 metres from our back patio entertainment area and 8 metres from our back door. Honestly, I'm not happy about this arrangement mainly due to the close proximity and the inevitable smell once the pen has been there awhile. The mozzie issue also worries me as there are containers of horrible green water lying around providing a perfect breeding habitat (due to the estuary, marshes and rivers around which our town is built we already have a major mozzie problem with the council regularly conducting aereal drops of insecticides in some areas. We have also had a Ross River virus outbreak this summer). My neighbours are not the kind of people who will clean out the pen, water or feed containers regularly so I'm quite sure my concerns are not unfounded. I know our council by-laws ban the keeping of chooks in suburbs such as ours but it's not my style to dob so for now, we have adopted a wait and see attitude.

In the meantime, perhaps I should ban my son from patting and feeding the animals from the farm animal petting zoo that comes to the local fairs etc. The chooks and ducks always seem to be a favourite with the kids...Tongue firmly in cheek.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
AnswerID: 42217

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 18:26

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 18:26
Melissa, to throw a clove of garlic in the water may combat the mozzies, it knocks worms, or a small drop of kerosene will definently work. Make a typical junkmail letter, hint of the week,;-) and put it in their letterbox and advertise a bale of straw spread throughout the pen will encourage chooks into better laying habits. This is true, but hahaha. Jen Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304702

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:20

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:20
Throw a clove to DEET in the water too and it'll cure you of chook problems.Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304722

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:15

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:15
Now come on Melissa - you can't go telling us about your bro. and not tell us what caused your - um - well - um - maybe you have some problems from eating sheep poo or something like that. Also remember Listeria from pate and listeria from cats urine is very bad if you are expecting....

Seriously though, with the neighbors chooks - if it gets to the point where someone is doing something that is detracting from your amenity and it is not in accordance with regulations, you owe it to yourself and family to try and get it rectified. You should go to the council or eventually you will go nuts if you have to live with smell or noise or chook poo overflowing into your backyard. If it was not impacting on you, the I wouldn't complain as that is just vindictive - but if your are suffering some ill - then it is honorable to complain!

Cheers
Andrew
My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304742

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:35

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:35
Melissa, Andrew and Jen are right, don't leave it until something does happen to you or your family, if it is that bad. If these people are not very friendly and not talk to you about it, there is a good chance they will be selfish, so in that case you have to look after your self. Then again I don't know what city life is like, so maybe I am wrong. We have excellent neighbours here, although about a 1klm apart. Good distance. Actually we are holding a big neighbour new year party here on saturday night. Thats about the only time we see each other. All other communication is by phone. JenLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304745

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:42
Andrew/Jen,

Agree with your comments but will wait and see. Chook pen is still relatively new so as yet no bad odours. I'm hoping the neighbours will just get bored/tired of the whole thing and get rid of the chooks before it comes to that. But if not I will have a chat with them over the fence to explain our side of things and if no luck there then a call to the council.

Andrew, as for telling stories about my bro...it is a sisters obligation and I wouldn't want to fail in my duties, LOL. As for me...well a lady never tells!!!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
http://members.westnet.com.au/flatdog
FollowupID: 305114

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 16:08

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 16:08
BOOOOOk,Boooooook, I am glad I live in a chook house with the girls, with only one rooster in our whole little world. He is so content, and loves us all equally. He has been faithful to us all, never had an affair, so we are all STD and AIDS free. Living in perfect healthy harmony. We are fed extremely well, wormed and waited on with fine grain and brews from our slaves kitchen. In return, we push out an egg or two, just so none of us are taken away. Our house is clean with lovely straw for comfort. Although, I tell you sumthin, its those humans you have to watch, they come into our house and never wipe their feet, and whats more, pick up our poo, we leave it there to bury in our next scratch, but the filthy humans......... they cart it away. I don't know, I am yet to find on what goes on in the outside world, thats if I can get past the hard heart in the human house. Gertrude.Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
AnswerID: 42249

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:22

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:22
Sounds like there's a book book book in this story Gertie, I'd talk to Penguin if I was you, don't sell it near Melissa's marsh's though them frogs have reddit reddit reddit!Laterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
FollowupID: 304724

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:38

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:38
HiHo Bonk, Oh sorry that is my roosters name, HiHo Bonz, We cackled and crowed to Penguin about our lifes story and they said flopit, flopit, flopit. So we may have to try "This is your Life", where they might grabit.
Kind Retards, GertrudeLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304731

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:44

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 22:44
Sounds a pretty good life.......the Rooster I mean. With a bunch of gorgeous girls like you. Now what has happened about that situation with head chook yesterday - the embarrassing one...??My Toy - 2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
FollowupID: 304733

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:21

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:21
The head chook got to roost early cos she wanted to pick the best coolest spot on the roost. She was in a really relaxed position as the humid hot weather had played havoc on the old girl. Bonk went to find a breeze through the opening in the wall of the pen. He passed a seduceing funny look as he passed by, for that time of the evening, especially when all the girls should be relaxing to settle for the night. The head chook started to cackle at the looks she was receiving, as the cackles became closer together, her breathing became restricted. Poor Bonk went to find the vapour hose only recently aqcuired, for the purpose of releasing fresh air into wind pipe incase of fowl smells. By the time he came back, the old girl had passed out, very little breath. The young rooster from the next pen, became anxious, wandered down and asked bonk what was going on, what he saw, suspected it was spring, and set foot back to his pen,while passing on his expertise. There is more but it cannot be revealed, until a pen hearing. GertrudeLooking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304744

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:35

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:35
My Goodness - I think I am on to what is happening here. Maybe Melbourne which I reckon was a chilly and windy and wet 17 degrees today (didn't catch any news- Robbie Williams on the CD player again talking of Roosters). Poor head chook - so when is the pen hearing.
Maybe this should be the a new post so that everyone can learn from this experience. Vapour hose - is that the 'V' brand?

My advice - don't try any Roosting tonight. I had a look in my computer for a Bonk and found a cartoon Bonk and can just picture those salacious looks.

FollowupID: 304746

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Jen - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:48

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 23:48
Too right,I am going to roost, I'm a stuffed chook tonight, but not look at glances:-) No its the "B" brand. Looking forward to the cruise and snooze years.........Retirement
FollowupID: 304748

Sponsored Links