Teewah & Rainbow Beach Update - 20/5/12

We are taking a week's break in the Beachside Caravan park at Mooloolaba. Yesterday, in company with our friends Jim and Frances who are with us in the park, we drove to Noosa North Shaw, up Teewah Beach to the foot of Double Island, over Leisha Track, along Rainbow Beach, out to Inskip Point to check the Fraser Island Ferry, down Freshwater Track and home via Noosa North Shaw. The weather was brilliant. Really a great day.

So if you have been thinking of doung all or part of this trip there is no better time than now. Sand at on ramps, although loose, is damp and compacts easily. There is a hole at the bottom of the Noosa North Shaw in ramp and a hump at the bottom of the off ramp that should not be taken to fast but otherwise OK. The beach is not particularly wide and is being swept by high tides, to the sand dunes most of the way, twice a day. So natures grader is repaiting wash outs. It was only necessary to slow for a couple.

Leisha Track was easy at both ends and with 90 minutes of ebb tide still to go Rainbow Beach provined plenty of width of firm sand right through to Rainbow Beach Town. The drive past Mudlo Rocks was easy with only a few scattered rocks standing proud of the sand.The southern end of Rainbow Beach was a bit wavy but soon levelled out. Under the mid day sun the sand cliffs looked brilliant. Colours right through the spectrum.

Sand at Inskip Point was loose but firm. It was possible to drive almost anywhere on it without risk of bogging. The ferry was reasonably busy but only one was operating.

Freshwater Track is an interesting and enjoyable drive. It is a bit rough in places with unrepaired wash outs but if taken at the official sped limit of 20 kph was fine and fun.

There were a lot of campers as we drove up the beach and even more as we came home, including a number of caravans including one large one. Drivers who ignore the 50 kph signs as you pass the camping areas are a bit of a worry as are some of the places where people park.

My mate never deflated tyres on this beach, didn't yesterday, and had no problems. I used my new deflators ($21 on Ebay) to drop pressures to 28 psi (my gravel read preference) and only had a problem when I forgot to engage 4WD when I left Freshwater. That brought me to a sudden stop when I hit loose sand near the Noose off ramp. But I learned something new. Jim suggested that I back up and use the compressed sand of my track to clear the loose stuff. Low reverse did the trick to get me back to firm sand. Then H-1 and H-2 took be through the soft sand and up the ramp.

This was only my second time on sand. I had a ball.

Cheers, Kevin.

Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 16:38

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 16:38
Kevin, thank you for such a comprehensive report for that region. I'm sure lots of EOers will be travelling north now or very soon. I had been wondering what the situation was at Inskip after the big washaway.

Min
AnswerID: 486304

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:52

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:52
Kevin

Next time you are on the sand, as an experiment, try taking the tyre pressures down even lower, say 18-20psi.

You will be amazed just how much easier you get through the soft sand and at the same time be easier on the vehicle without chopping up the sand either.

It's a great area to explore, have fun.

Paul
AnswerID: 486371

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 12:07

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 12:07
Hi Paul. I expected someone to comment on tyre pressures. I am very aware of this and had the beach been dry my tyres would have been at 20 psi but the soft sand even high on the beach was damp enough to use to build sand castles. We parked on the kind of sand that we bogged in several times during the day and drove off with out any problem. But I would have bogged at any tyre pressure in 2WD.

I wonder how much of the tyre pressure advice we read is directed at heavily loaded vehicles. We were travelling with 2 adults and a picnic lunch.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761623

Reply By: ferryman1 - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 22:45
hi kevin,
nice article and well presented.
I am up this beach every week and harldy ever have to assist anyone except when the sand is very fine and powdery. A couple of tips in soft sand - other than to deflate as necessary. When you stop in the soft sand-eg to go fishing - immediately reverse about one metre and if possible- point your vehicle downhill with the wheels straight. you can imagine that on restarting that you now have a level pad to get a bit of momentum
YUM YUM THE IC E CREAM MAN is a great source of information that is current, and he is on UHF -7.
The light house at Double island point (DIP) is run by the noosa parks assn but you can park at the gate and walk up to the lighthouse- the view is grand and you most likely will see sharks, dolphins , stingrays and in season- this is a good whale watching platform.
regards from sunny tewantin
AnswerID: 486512

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:23

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:23
Thanks for the tips ferryman1. We saw the ice cream man parked at the bottom of the path up to the lighthouse at Leisha Bay. It was too near lunch time to indulge. I've now enough confidence to head back to Teewah & Rainbow on my own. We will return and spend more time looking in detail instead of just driving through. We found that caravan park right by the Noosa North Shore beach access ramp. Looks like a good place to use as a base to do some exploring.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761840

Sponsored Links