Truma Gas heater

Submitted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 18:47
ThreadID: 95693 Views:6057 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
It is the time of the year to think of van heating. I have decided on the gas Truma and just would like to know a few things about positioning of the unit.
Best place is under the club lounge situated over the roadside wheel arches. This would mean the heated air out let would face towards the other side of the van (instead of shooting air down the length of the van). Any problems with this?
Also can someone tell me what is the minimum legal distance of the exhaust outlet from a van window?
Furthermore, is there any need/benefit to put another outlet in the ensuite in a 22' van?
Regards,
Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 21:00

Sunday, May 20, 2012 at 21:00
HI Ian,
We have the same unit in our new van and they work well - but only tried it once so far (van is only 9 days old).
Ours is located under the dinette seat and the outlet comes out the back of the seat closest to isle and shoots the hot air straight down the isle towards the ensuite (our seat is located next to the fridge and sticks out further than the fridge so the outlet can aim the hot air down the van).
We only have 1 outlet and that seems plenty - vans are generally well insulated and seems to warm the van in a short time.
You will also need an inlet for the air - ours is located in the same dinette seat but facing inwards towards the table support on the outside end of the dinette.
I do not know anything about the legal distances - but if you have bought one its probably in the user manual.

Cheers
AnswerID: 486343

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:43

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:43
Thanks Wamuranman,
Haven't bought the unit yet. Is your exhaust below the window on the outside wall of the van?
All the best with the new van.
Regards,
Ian
FollowupID: 761602

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:15

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:15
Yes Ian the exhaust (or flu gas vent) is located on the outside of the van below the end of the dinette window. It has a screw on cap when travelling or not in use. (i.e. vent is virtically below edge of window frame).
Must remember to remove cap before use.
I just had a look in my owners manual herte is what it says in this regard (I will quote verbatim so as to not misinterpret) :

"The outside surface must be exposed to wind from all directions and, if possible, there should be no trim strips or covers in this area, mount heater on an appropriate base if necessary.
The wall cowl is to be fitted in such a way that no tank nozzles or tank ventilation aperatures are located within 500mm of it. In addition, no air discharge apertures for the living area or window openings may be located within 300mm of it.
If installing the cowl directly underneath a window that will be opened, installation of an electric window switch is mandatory. The gas unit must automatically switch itself off using the Truma automatic shut-off facility if the window is opened."

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Glen
FollowupID: 761606

Reply By: Denis H - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:01

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:01
Also very interested in the Gas Heater.

The answer to the question from Ian and Kathleen is a min of 300mm from the exhaust outlet to the window , with cutout switch on the window, if it is opened during operation of the heater, I believe.

Pricing for the Truma E2400 range from $1500 (Ebay) to $1900+ (Dealer), which is a concern and one wonders if they are the same and all the same bits?

Any one have an idea on the cost of a standard installation, so I can start budgeting before I source a quote?

Rabbit
Galaxy Southern Cross 4 Van towed by Navara D40
AnswerID: 486365

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 17:47

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 17:47
Gday Dennis,

I did get a quote from my dealer - around $2200 fitted.

Regards,
Ian
FollowupID: 761645

Follow Up By: Bush Wanderer - Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 21:15

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 at 21:15
I purchased the online one for $1490. It's the same unit that has a recommended price of $1950. Cheaper purely due to lower overheads. This will and does though effect many local businesses.....but you can't blame people for looking for a better deal (atleast this eBay seller is Australian).
Works sensationally well in our 7 metre hors float. $250 for fitting. Took them two hours.
BW.
FollowupID: 761744

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 09:23

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 09:23
We've been using a Truma E2400 for awhile now and are completely happy with it. It's even better than sliced bread.
Not sure on th distance to a window (oepening) etc , but I think it coukld be minimum 500mm, but I stand to be corrected on that.
Our also blows across the van, but goes from -3 to +20c in 15-20 minutes in a 17/6" pop top.
Note: The heater will not work if the intake/exhaust cover is not removed.
And the thermostat control needs to be on at least 3.5 - 4.0. It doen't get cold bnough in oz top work on the lower settings unless your stuck in ther snow somewhere.
Enjoy the warmth.
Ozjohn.
AnswerID: 486374

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 17:49

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 17:49
Thanks Ozjohn,
Tis always reassuring when you are about to purchase an item...that it actually works..."better than sliced bread".
Cheers,
Ian
FollowupID: 761646

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 15:08

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 15:08
It is most commonly installed underneath a dinette around... Very powerful heaters they are!

Ian, there is no real issue with shooting the air across the van as it will simply bounce off whatever is across the way and disperse throughout your van warming the whole unit.

You can always have another outlet but you'll be fine with the one.

http://www.caravanandrvworld.com.au/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=5443773&A=SearchResult&SearchID=5521289&ObjectID=5443773&ObjectType=27

Hope we can help. Please give us a call if you have any further questions.

C&RVW
AnswerID: 486392

Sponsored Links