In line cord switch - waterproof/water resistant

Submitted: Monday, May 21, 2012 at 00:20
ThreadID: 95700 Views:5563 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

In the process of rigging up 2 x 24W LED 12-24V work lights onto an ex-twin halogen tripod. So far all going is to plan, except when it come to installing switches for each light. The idea is to have each light switched individually (no switch on the light itself), however having trouble finding a waterproof/resistant in line cord switch. The standard 240V in line cord switches (which i can get from Bunnings for approx $5) are ok, but just in case the lights get rained on/condensation/etc, it would be better to have something waterproof/resistant. Any ideas where to source such a thing - ideally in the Adelaide area? Have tried Jaycar with no luck.

Cheers,

OzTroopie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudbro2 - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 01:01

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 01:01
Hi OzTroopie, I have just gone through the exact same problem as you. I have put led strip lights in my rooftop tent & roofrack awning and did the same searches like Jaycar etc, and nothing (I am also in Adelaide). I don`t know if you have tried Home of 12volt in Pooraka, but they are quite expensive. I got mine off ebay for $7.95 each plus postage, just type in 12volt switches and they are on the first page (about the forth item down as I remember) they are water resistant not waterproof though. Hope this can be of some help as I know how frustrating it can be to find exactly what you want in Adelaide. Phil.
AnswerID: 486356

Follow Up By: Member - OzTroopie - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 02:12

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 02:12
Thanks Phil, notice a similar product being sold by this mob in Queensland for a slightly cheaper price than ABR LINK Their postage is $13.50, compared to ABRs $6.50
FollowupID: 761593

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 05:42

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 05:42
ABR have free postage for ExplorOz members. Cheers. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761595

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:48

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:48
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 761603

Follow Up By: Member - Navro - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:49

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 07:49
Try a ships chandler or a boating yard, they could the switch you are looking for as they would use them on boats. hopes this helps.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 761604

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:14

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:14
I wouldn't worry about going to a water proof switch, wire it up and go to a good auto elec and get then to spray it with silicon grease.

Even if water got in it's not going to cause much damage and being 12v there no chance of getting a shock.

The only time I would recommend sealed is in harsh corrosive environments but then again we have earthmoving machines we maintain in salt mines that survive OK with non sealed switch gear.

Have a look at motor bikes with there handle bar switch gear...... they aren't sealed or water proofed..... most just have silicon grease if that.

One problem we do see with water proof switches is the rubber/plastic breaking down or splitting.

You will not get condensation, condensation is formed when the temp inside is higher then the outside make the moister inside evaporate.

I think this is a matter of over engineering something.
AnswerID: 486366

Sponsored Links