Kalgan Pool to Eagle Rock Falls - Newman

Submitted: Monday, May 21, 2012 at 09:49
ThreadID: 95705 Views:4915 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello

Does anyone know if it is possible to drive directly from Kalgan Pool to Eagle Rock Falls (ERFs) by crossing over the creek at Kalgan Pool? A track is shown (on the 250K/100K/50K maps) heading off in a NE direction from this point to the track than leads to ERFs.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: briancc - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 10:09

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 10:09
Joe F is the man who'll most likely know. I've been to both numerous times and seen the start (or end) of the track at Kalgans. I've heard it is possible, but Rough. I never attempted to do that trek.
AnswerID: 486376

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 13:23

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 13:23
Thanks Brian

I see Joe has replied so will have a read of that.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761629

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 14:39

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 14:39
G'day Brian

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I am chuffed.

I couldn't complete my initial response to The Explorers post as ExplorOz web site decided to have an update session right in the middle of proceedings, so I had to give it away, until now.

Hopefully these images will help complete the story.

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found[fi]/MeImage Could Not Be Foundmbers/1283Image Could Not Be Found61.125/Forum/122[/fi]
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

I'm not sure whats going on but the up load of images was painfully slow and definately not in the correct sequence.

But the gist of it is, try and see it soon, because one day these waterholes and gorges won't exist.

Safe Travels:
FollowupID: 761636

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 10:45

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 10:45
G'day Greg

There is a track/watercourse that can be used to access the Kalgan Siding road, from Kalgan Pool and the left (west) to Eagle Rock Pool and from there to Eagle Rock Falls.

The track is known as the "Widow maker" !!
Image Could Not Be Found
If you are an adventurous hard core four wheel driver, with a double diff locked four wheel drive, with low range and a winch ~ Yes there is a track !!

I have travelled this particular track several times over the years, it is do-able but its hard work and you will damage your vehicle.

You would be better served to access Eagle Falls ~ Thunder Gorge and Three Pools by using the road system now in place through the Rio Tinto mining operations.

If you obtain maps from the Newman Visitor Centre be aware, the maps are very inaccurate, simply because the mining industry is changing the face of the region ~ irreversibly ~ on a daily basis.

The Kalgan Siding road from which you gain access into the Eagle Rock Falls and Pool areas along with Thunder Gorge and Three Pools is no longer open to the public beyond the Three Pools turn off, as Rio Tinto are setting up another mining operation on the spine of the Ophthalmia Range.

Safe Travels :
AnswerID: 486377

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 13:40

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 13:40
Hi

Thanks for info. Looks like I'll take the long way around as I will only have a hire car (and probably wouldnt tackle it anyway without good reason). Wasnt actually going to ERF or Kalgan Pool (or any of the other places you mention) just thought the track in question would make a good shortcut if viable as I need to look at two separate areas along the main tracks into these two places.

I am doing a job for a mining company so have their gps logs of currently available public and closed tracks - they obviously dont use that track (now I know why) as its not shown in the gps log. I mostly walk anyway...so generally dont get stopped by difficult tracks etc..but the distance betwen the two locations is too far so will have to drive around. I have the "mud maps" from the NVC - just cant find them - in a box here somewhere...

Thanks again

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 761631

Reply By: homey - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 21:20

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 21:20
We have this section of track still on our 'to find' list. Apparently what track is there is 'rough'. I suspect a little overgrown and some rebuilding of washed out track. We have been both sides, but so far missed the old track signs, easliy driving past it on both tracks.
If you get there before us please put up a post. :)
AnswerID: 486426

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, May 21, 2012 at 22:55

Monday, May 21, 2012 at 22:55
Greg, two ways into Eagle Rock. One, the eastern route makes a steep descent into a deep creek (Check watermark on trailer stone guard!). The other from the western side is a better approach. Video in Eagle rock blog is getting Navara down the steep entry track.

I tried the connecting route and found it can be blocked by a creek full of deep water.

Cheers

Mick

A look around Kalgan Pool

A couple of days at Eagle Rock Pool

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486429

Sponsored Links