Went to see Joe at Doomadgee last weekend.

Submitted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 19:22
ThreadID: 95759 Views:2096 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Left Normanton around 8.30am.

The dirt road, about 200 km, from Normanton to Leichhart Falls is the only dirt out to Doomadgee.

Mostly black stuff.

The falls are great and saw a freshy about 150 metres from where a bloke was having a dip.

Burketown is a very neat little place with a good takeaway shop at the CP.

Reasonable licensed restaurant opposite where the Burketown Pub was.

We stayed at the Savannah Lodge on Saturday night and could not fault the place.

We spent about an hour with Joe and picked up some useful info about the place.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sapper D - Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:40

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 at 20:40
G,Day Mate
Just read your post about your trip to Doomadgee, and am after a bit more info if you dont mind.---I'm looking at a trip from Borrooloola down tha gulf track to Normanton, and am after as much first hand knowledge as possible.--Your trip fills in one end for me.---You mentioned lots of blacktop,--that surprises me, can you you fill me in on the total road from Doomadgee to Normanton, via Burketown----road conditions, river crossings, camp spots, etc----would appreciate it greatly-----thanks in advance
Cheers Sapper

AnswerID: 486598

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:45

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:45
Sapper

The tar from Burketown to Doomadgee surprised me as well.

Joe said the last 30km were completed about 2-3 yrs ago. Our Hemma map book shows a broken brown line which indicates a very ordinary dirt road.

The road from Normanton to the Falls is dirt, mostly good surface with a few patches of corregation. Watch anything that looks like a Dip!!!! We left the seat with a few of them.

A few river crossings, but only 2 had a couple of inches of water over the road.

Never really looked for camping spots, but I think you would find a few.

Would not try that road anywhere around the wet season. Doomadgee can be cut off for up to 3 months.

Hope the info helps.

FollowupID: 761908

Reply By: Member - willawa - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:07

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 08:07
Hi Boo Boo.
will be fitting the super springs today. I will let you know how it goes in a couple of days.

Sounds like you are having a good trip. We will be up that way (limmen river area ) then Borroloola later in June.
Never know might catch up

Cheers
Ed
AnswerID: 486619

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:49

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 13:49
Ed

We will be heading home at the end of this month.

We will then go to Bundaberg late June until the middle of august.

If your around that area during that time give me a yell.

And please keep me informed about the supersprings.

FollowupID: 761909

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 17:35

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 17:35
G'day Boo Boo,

We'll be heading out from Brisbane 3/8 to travel to Townsville then across to Mt Isa and Darwin. We're in no hurry and not sure where we'll be stopping we may see you on the road.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 761929

Sponsored Links