Adelaide to Brisbane via Innamincka in Summer

Submitted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 21:47
ThreadID: 95782 Views:2638 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering how well travelled the outback roads between Adelaide and Brisbane are in Summer.

I am visiting relatives in Brisbane for Christmas and wondered that if the weather wasn't too hot if I could drive along the Strzeleki track and through Innamincka rather than through Broken Hill or Hay.

I spent a couple of years around the St George - Cunnamulla area more than 20 years ago so would like to drive in that way.

I won't be totally unprepared, I have a Patrol set up for touring, can easily carry 100+ litres of water and would probably take an epirb or similar, but if something did break it would be nice to know that someone will be along in the next few hours or even the next day.

What do you think? Possible option or too risky even with plenty of water and emergency beacon?

Cheers

Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 22:02

Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 22:02
Alex,
as long as the rain stays away you will have no problems at all.

There will be many a truck and car using that road so you should not need to get to worried about being remote.

Have a good trip

AnswerID: 486694

Reply By: Boofmann - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 00:12

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 00:12
Hi Alex,

I returned to WA from Qld with a new 3 tonne off road caravan in tow via Innamincka, down the Strzelecki track, up the Oodnadatta to Alice Springs and home to Mandurah via the Great Central Road in late October, November and December 2011. While the temperature at Innamincka in late October was 40 degrees, the temperature for most of the trip was between 30 and 40 degrees. The Strzelecki track these days sees a lot of traffic because of a constant procession of exploration/gas facility vehicles using the road. Road conditions at that time were also quite good. The biggest hazard we found was the wind and dust, which was particularly bad at our overnight stop at Montecollina Bore. As a matter of interest, you will get mobile phone reception in the car park overlooking the Moomba oil & gas field. Despite the warm weather, we would have no hesitation in doing that same trip at the same time of the year again.

Regards,

Peter
AnswerID: 486710

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 04:55

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 04:55
We came south along the Strz on 11th November 2009.
It was close to 50C and there was a 30 knot NW wind blowing.
We saw one truck going south just south of Moomba.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
AnswerID: 486713

Reply By: Alex M - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 13:13

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 13:13
Thanks for the feedback.

It's interesting to see just how hot it can get in Oct/Nov.

We will allow time to either go the long way through Innamincka or the shorter way through Hay and make the decision at the time based on what the weather is like.

Really hot - Short Way
Hot - Long Way

;-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 486754

Sponsored Links