Toyota Diesel Hilux or Prado Injector Seal and engine oil starvation problem

Submitted: Friday, May 25, 2012 at 17:21
ThreadID: 95811 Views:21437 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently reviewing vehicle options and I was wondering if anyone had heard about some serious problems in the Media recently with regard to the Toyota D4D 3.0 diesel Engine in Hilux & Prado.

http://www.news.com.au/news/ute-tough-but-breakable/story-fn9y0y36-1226351998636

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/no-im-afraid-its-not-prada/story-fn9xzkw8-1226359199033

http://www.productreview.com.au/r/toyota-hiace-2005-present/205358.html

Apparently the Injector seal leaks & related problems in HiAce, Hilux & Prado possibly known to many owners, have also now been linked to “Clogging of the oil Pickup Screen” & Oil starvation of the engine. This apparently can lead to premature engine failure if not identified and dealt with early. Checking complaints on line with this issue, evidence seems to suggest this has occurred even with the regular service of the engines within authorised service programs, and it is not being picked up before it’s too late within the normal service programs.

Can anyone comment about experiences or knowledge of this issue, particularly with HiLux or Prado? We are looking at either and some other people I have spoken to have said they were aware of problems with the 3.0 D4D in these vehicles as well.

I found another post elsewhere that would seem to confirm that this is definitely a current issue in Europe, with a major customer contact campaign currently underway until August next year on Vehicles as Early as 2006

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/1KET-015.pdf

Would value some feedback prior to making our next purchase.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, May 25, 2012 at 23:08

Friday, May 25, 2012 at 23:08
I wouldn't read into it too much, the problem seem few and far between.

Yes they are doing a recall in Europe and New Zealand but no news here.

Best bet is jump on "Prado Point" or "The New Hilux" forums and have a look ....... proberly the same as the oil issue in the 200 series, funny thing is it's only affected a hand full on the LCOOL forum.

Real life vehicle dedicated forums are the best place to find out information..... if it's not documented on them the chances of it being an issue is near to non existent.

In Europe they have different consumer laws and emission standards so it may of been forced onto Toyota to act.
AnswerID: 486784

Reply By: Madfisher - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 07:09

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 07:09
Stuart I can not even tell you off the top of my head how many d4ds we are running , but it would be over 30 and we have never struck this problem, of bigger concern is water in the fuel killing the fuel pump, ea time this has cost around $9000.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 486795

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 07:43

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 07:43
A thread has just started on this over on the New Hilux forum by a new member who has been affected and has a dead motor but nobody else has heard of the issue. There has been a number of faulty injector issues though
With the amount of D4D's on the road I would think that there would of been a lot more noise about it if it was a common problem. It is easy enough to o an inspection with an oil change so can't hurt to check.
AnswerID: 486798

Reply By: GT Campers - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:02

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:02
yeah I have seen V6s destroy cams/engines. The reason is the oil pickup screen half to 2/3 blocked due to crystalized oil. The cause? Dunno - one Prado I saw was maintained 'by the book' from 40Kkm to 180Kkm - so the screen may have been blocked before 40Kkm - no service records existed on this car (ex-auction) and it was supected most services were skipped.

Prado petrol has a sump inspection plate so it an easy fix/clean. Hilux petrol (mine) doesn't.

Can't comment on diesels, sorry ...

AnswerID: 486941

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 01:10

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 01:10
Since when has there been a V6 D4D engine?
FollowupID: 762213

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:22

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:22
there isn't - sorry if my post mislead you.
My post was extra info about V6s with similar problems due to poor servicing regime
FollowupID: 762228

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 00:48

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 00:48
The D4D injector problem is a world-wide problem, and Toyota are reputedly offering extended warranty on the injector seals. No doubt you have to make it obvious you know it's a major worldwide problem, and that Toyota know about it. In some cases, some Toyota dealers are saying it's not a problem.

Engines packing up at 100,000 kms is pretty pathetic, particularly when Toyota brag about build quality. It wasn't so long back the V6 was blowing up, some as little as 200kms on the clock. Toyota were forced to admit that this was a QC problem, and it cost them a lot of money to remedy it.

http://www.google.com.au/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=toyota+d4d+injector+problems&oq=toyota+D4D+injector
AnswerID: 486955

Sponsored Links