Seeking D'entrecasteux NP update (Moore's Hut)

Submitted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 12:55
ThreadID: 95819 Views:1619 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has been through the D'entrecasteux NP lately as we are interested in heading down that way over this coming long weekend (probably the Wed afternoon/Thurs morning) to get the jump on any crowds.

As it's going to be quite chilly and possibly wet we were keen to check out Moore's Hut and stay there if it's available and check out some of the tracks in the area however the DEC website says the site is temporarily closed due to a recent bushfire (which I believe was in January).

http://www.dec.wa.gov.au/campgrounds/index.php?option=com_jomres&Itemid=2&task=viewproperty&property_uid=90

I have tried phoning the Pemberton office for the DEC but there is nobody there over the weekend. Has anyone been there since the bushfire and if so is the hut still standing or was it destroyed? If it is still there is it accessible and the DEC site just not updated to reflect its availability? Any info appreciated!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cobra - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:53

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 20:53
Hi Cruiser
I spoke to the DEC rangers about Moore's Hut just before the March long weekend which was quite soon after the fires. They informed me that the Hut had been saved but all the campsites along that part of the south coast were closed because if the fires were to restart, they could not guarantee the safety of campers. I would expect the campsites to be open now but a call to their Pemberton Office next week would clear the matter up for you.

Happy camping.
AnswerID: 486849

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 22:48

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 22:48
Hi Cobra,

Thanks heaps for the info, I'll give a call to the DEC office in Pemberton on Monday to confirm. Hopefully it's all good as have been keen to check that area out for a while but have never had time (or the right vehicle) before. Don't think there's much risk of fire this coming long weekend. Looking a bit brisk!

Cheers again
FollowupID: 762077

Follow Up By: west Aussie - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:29

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:29
Hi Cruiser,
Try ringing the Shire of Manjimup as well. The shire looks after the area and could also help you with information. If you are thinking of camping at Windy Harbour it pays to ring then caretaker as they could well be booked out for the long weekend unless the weather is likely to be wet.
We were down there last long weekend and some roads and tracks were still closed due to fires earlier on in the year.
Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 762081

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:50

Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:50
Thanks Andy,

Will try the Shire of Manjimup as well. Probably have a look down at Windy Harbour but not really interested in booking anywhere. Looking at the HEMA maps of the area there are plenty of options at more secluded spots providing there is access and we are pretty self sufficient. We have a few extra days up our sleeves so if it doesn't work out we may head further east and have a look around the Bremer Bay area.
FollowupID: 762083

Sponsored Links