Des Strekfuss

Submitted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 at 23:51
ThreadID: 95830 Views:1862 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently stayed in the Des Strekfuss memorial rest area near Marble Bar in WA's Pilbara region. It's a lovely spot on a large river pool that was host to about 80 pelicans while we were there. These pelicans sure do get around. However, I can find no information on Des Strekfuss. Do any members have any info on who he was or his connection with the area.

Thanks in advance .................... KP.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:28

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:28
Wozikev - The correct spelling is Streckfuss. I know nothing about the man, and it appears obvious he wasn't a prominent member of any of the "ruling class".
I'd suggest he might have been an MRD employee, or a station employee who was well thought of.

Strangely, there's no record of him anywhere. Usually a hunt turns up something, even small stuff such as a mention in a news article.
You'd think if he got a rest area named after him, he'd have achieved a mention doing something worthwhile.

The only thing I've turned up is what appears to be his father's grave (Streckfuss, William Henry James) in Collie. There's no record of any Desmond Streckfuss buried anywhere in W.A., indicating the gentleman is either still alive or has been buried in another state.

http://www.ozburials.com/CemsWA/Collie/c_sierra.htm

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 486881

Reply By: Member - digfra W.A. - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 12:16

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 12:16
I hope this will help you .I would contact Main Roads in W.A. because they would have named that Rest Area and Would have a reason.I hope this helps you.Joe.
AnswerID: 486890

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 14:31

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 14:31
There is a display in the main street of Marble Bar that mentions the passing of a couple of hundred early notables, settlers, workers and itinerants in that district - in some cases, real names, age, origins or family connections are left a mystery - just expired drifters it seems. Des might be on there...............sample pic below (I didn't snap the lot)....note 'the' Lang Hancock. The local shire would probably have good info on your query - the caravan park might even do better - maybe the pub (but from what I saw in there, I doubt it :-o).

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 486899

Follow Up By: Member - John L (WA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:48

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:48
Stopped there a couple of years ago & from memory there was/ is an info plaque .
Think he was a MRD bloke who surveyed the way thru those narrow hills.
When we went thru all the wattles were in flower & a magic sight.
FollowupID: 762147

Sponsored Links