Where to fit my Water Watch system

Submitted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 08:25
ThreadID: 95834 Views:3835 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have purchased a water watch system and was wondering it any others who own a 70 series landcruiser have one fitted and where did you manage to put it. It is so crammed under the bonnet I am not sure where I could fit one.

Now, I have no connection with this and I am not spruiking the product - there are some other filter types on the market and a lot of debate on whether owners should have one or not - or just rely on the std OEM filter.

The water watch system or some call it a filter looks like a CAV filter but will only detect water in diesel. The new common rail diesels are very susceptible to water damage in the fuel pump and injectors. I have spoke to a few mechanics and read up on this and it is about $7000 to $9000 to repair so I figured getting a back up alarm besides the standard fuel filter might be good.

A mechanic from a dealership in my area (WA) said they are getting about 2 cars a week with water damage to their CRD system - (he does not work for toyota so other brand CRD vehicles). When they get one in they have to report it to the motor trades association and the statistics show WA has some of the worst water contamination in Australia.

My main question to the forum is where to fit it. They say in the instructions anywhere between the tank and the std filter. They suggest close to the std filter but I have little to no room. I am thinking under the car closer to where the pipes come out of the tanks.

Cheers

Serendipity

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:05

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 10:05
Hi,
I have seriously thought about purchase of the same filter for my '79 series LC; but with second battery under the bonnet, there is simply no where to put it. So if you find a suitable place for it, and it works, I would be more than happy to hear from you. Pics would be great too.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 486880

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:13

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 13:13
Because it has a remote warning device you can mount it just after the tank and before the OE filter. If it gets water in, it will tell you.
Test it first so you know it is working.

It has a dewatering screen and the detection system so you are still relying on the OE filter for cleaning the fuel.
Make sure it the OE filter is changed regularly and DO NOT RELY on the dealer to do it. Many dealers across all makes seem to not often change filters and it points to the dealer being responsible for many of the fuel system failures because the filter degraded and let the water and crap through to the injection pump and injectors.

Generally the vehicle systems will tell of contamination but this combined with the filter not being changed compounds the problem.

Water watch, a good idea. Any extra filter and dewatering which can be seen in a bowl is good insurance. If you have these vehicles you should be checking the fuel bowls regularly.. Some people do it once a day and/or shortly after a fill.

Ross M
AnswerID: 486895

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:31

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:31
How much does that setup sell for retail? I guess its fitted in front of the hand primer and filter!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 486901

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:39

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 15:39
OOOuch!! Found it 5oo bucks!! In real manufacturing terms, its not worth anywhere near that!! But it may save thousands.... or the servos insurance company!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 762122

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:24

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:24
Oh don't worry - I hummed and harred for ages before committing to buy. My research just turned up too many expensive stories on water contamination destroying CRD motors. Lot of dollars that could buy a fair bit of beer but I would rather be driving this great land than sitting next to my car just looking out over a deserted landscape wondering if someone will tow me home.

Not being fabulously wealthy this car means a lot to me and I want to keep it for a while.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762138

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:11

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:11
Serendipity
There are some pics on the LCOOL site for my install of that unit.
As for the cost, they are well made and you only have to purchase fuel hose and a short piece of aluminium 50mm angle and four bolts and the total cost is minimal compared with water contamination on a CRD.
Think of this scenario, you are in WA out near Tom Price and the motor stops with water contamination. You and the Wife and two kids and due to return to work in Sydney in two weeks.
Fly everyone home ?
It has happened.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 762153

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:26

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:26
That is the photo I have been looking for. I kind of worked out that was the only place it could go near the other filter but was not sure. I could remember I had seen a picture before but as much as I searched I could not find it. Just did not put in the right search words.

Now you had to shape the angle aluminium as that lip is on a bit of a slope. And it has been OK just bolted through on that lip?

How is it for checking the glass bowl for sediment and discharging any fluids.

Where did you pick up your ignition feed - the windscreen wiper motor??

Thanks for the help

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762158

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:20

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 20:20
If you fasten the angle to the lip first then place the filter vertical and mark the holes to be drilled then trim the angle horizontal to make it look better and then the angle will be hidden behind the filter. The angle is bolted through the lip.
I powered mine from the power outlet(square box for wiring accessory power) over behind the air filter box and it comes on with the ignition and is fused.
When the ignition is switched on the supplied alarm gives three short loud beeps as a self test as OK. If there is water detected in the trap the alarm stays on and a flashing light comes on also.
I think the unit will alarm before you will see drops of water in the sight glass. full instructions come with the package.
When you get to prime the unit be sure to take the fuel filler caps off as there is a vacuum in the tanks and prevents the primer pump sucking the fuel through.
To remove water loosen the bleed screw on top then back of the large knob at the bottom and let the contents flow out.
Good luck
Stan

FollowupID: 762175

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:35

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:35
Stan

I have been working on fitting my water watch where you have yours. It occurred to me that should I have to drain some water and fuel out it would be pouring onto the turbo.

The flash point of diesel is 62 to 90deg c but the auto ignition is 210deg c. Now I know my turbo runs at up to 500deg and will often be down only to 200deg when I shut down.

Could there be an issue if you or I drain some diesel over the turbo when for example we have need to pull over with an alarm going off. Could it then burn the car to the ground???

I need to do some more research.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762267

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:13

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:13
Toyota already has a water trap with electronic warning (Float system) before the main fuel filter on the TD6.
Did they remove it from the V8, if not what do you want another one?

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 486943

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 00:42

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 00:42
No they still have one but by the time water is passing through that one it is too late to save your system. A very expensive too late. I can't afford to lates.

This one is an Australian invention and featured on 'New Inventors' ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s3222733.htm

and was submitted to the Australian Design Awards 2012.

I like it when an Australian comes up with a good idea.

But check it out and have a read up on water contamination in diesel and see the results.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762210

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 20:06

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 20:06
When it comes to draining the trap I would wait for the engine to cool and fold up a decent size cloth and place it under the drain to soak up the contents.
I wonder if a disposable nappy would do the trick ?
Cheers
Stan

AnswerID: 487122

Sponsored Links