Ipad vs Others

Okay here we go - I would dearly love a Hema 6 but the options are mind boggling. ipads I have been told have no spinning parts like a laptop so rough roads and bumps won't cause damage but the only application for them to use is Memory Maps which needs to convert files and how good is the gps? PC laptops running OziExlporer utilise a usb gps which sound like the premium way to go but I am worried about the damage to a spinning hard drive and rendering the whole thing useless.

I have a PC Laptop and are thinking of purchasing the latest version of Ozi/Hema Maps and the GPS usb for planning and plotting our trips and also running EO Trackme.

Is this the right way to go? Any real advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to buy this setup and then realise the Hema is really what's needed and have double the software.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 17:52

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 17:52
I run a tablet PC runs windows7 and has a solid state harddrive so no moving parts.
Yes you do run the risk of damaging the harddrive on a standard laptop.
If your laptop is getting a bit "older" try it and see how it goes as a USB GPS will only set you back 70$. Make sure you back up your laptop onto a external drive.

If your computer dies then you can invest in a solid state laptop or a tablet.

Craig
AnswerID: 486910

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:40

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:40
Thanks Craig, the laptop is not that old so I'm thinking it's not worth the risk of damaging it and will be leaving it off in transit, I was also wondering whether the Hema Navigator can be set up for EO TrackME.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 762162

Reply By: Michael A (VIC) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:00

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:00
I have used an iPad for a few trips now and it is fantastic. I use the Memory/Hema maps app.

The iPad sits on the dash of the Troopy with a suction cup mount I ordered on Amazon.

Hope that helps

Michael A
AnswerID: 486912

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:29

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:29
Michael g'day, what is the Memory Map application like, can you use the maps as is or do you have to convert them from a pc?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 762160

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:43

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:43
The Memory Map maps are proprietry and heavily licenced. They are good but probably one of the most expensive options especially if you want 25k topo series. I tried VMS and hated it, thought it was a waste of money. If you have any ozi explorer maps then Bitmap is pretty good and will read them with no conversion.
FollowupID: 762163

Follow Up By: chisel - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:12

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:12
You can import copies of maps into Memory Map. eg. if you already have hema's maps (for ozi) you can convert and import those. It's a bit of mucking around though - but worth it in order to use Memory Map.
FollowupID: 762189

Follow Up By: Litlbalt - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:49

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:49
So is it better to use the Memory map with hema maps then just the straight hema app?
FollowupID: 762195

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 06:38

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 06:38
If you buy the Hema maps you can use either the Memory map or the Hema App as they are the same thing.

Go to the memory map site and you will see that the maps are available for PC or IPad or Android or any. If you buy Hema off that site you can get it cheaper if you don;t want the PC version. I have had it for for many years and love it. It is a ton easier to use than Exploreoz.

Download it on your PC and some maps for free to try it.

The accuracy is determined by the hardware not the application. At any rate it is accurate.

FollowupID: 762216

Follow Up By: Life Member Dick B - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:06

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:06
Hi Michael

Could you post a pic of the mount you are using and any other useful info. It sounds to be just what I need.

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 762287

Follow Up By: Michael A (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 11:22

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 11:22
Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 762677

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:23

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:23
I have a mate who uses an 32 GB iPad for all bush navigation. He formerly has had PC's and Palm Pilots. They're old hat now........

It's great (I'm envious) and he has had no issues with accuracy/GPS/etc. He travels many, many miles n rough country - again, no issues. He has a large suction cap mounted holder on the windscreen of his Troopy.

He uses a map program with 3D function and moving map. Unfortunately I can't recall the name of the program or what file types it utilises. I do know he downloaded it. He's away in the bush so can't ask him. He has the Hema maps loaded also.

When in reception/range,he just pulls up & reads all his business emails/sends emails. It's a heaps good set up!

There are some good apps for fuel useage/records available on iPad.

Cheers
AnswerID: 486917

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:25

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:25
Thanks Rick, looks like the ipad has it's good points too, also my wife says that it can do "facetime" or free talking to other ipad's or iphone's at no cost (when you have net coverage) Sounds like Apple's version of Skype to me, I suppose OziExplorer will eventually make an app for this down the track.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 762157

Follow Up By: chisel - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:14

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 21:14
I don't think you can do facetime over 3g/nextg - you need a wi-fi connection for facetime. You can make voice calls and maybe video calls through skype though - basically the same thing.
FollowupID: 762191

Follow Up By: Brett H - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 07:04

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 07:04
Hi Rick,
The twonav program does 3d of maps and moving map. Maybe that's the one your thinking of.

brett
FollowupID: 762308

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 08:18

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 08:18
Yes Brett,

that looks like the one I've seen.

Appears to be relatively easy to use.
FollowupID: 762316

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:26

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 18:26
hi Mr 12" or footy

Your concerns regarding the spinning parts are not really a worry in this day and age.
If you do have a concern then install a solid state HD.
The PC will operate better than the the Ipad.

You can get small notebooks now with all solid state memory.
No spinning HD at all
Even better

Geoff
AnswerID: 486919

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:17

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:17
Ha ha that's gold Geoff, Mr 12" I wish. I will have to investigate the solid state memory topic as the laptop I have is under 2 years old and may be okay as is. Cheers.
FollowupID: 762156

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:29

The one you have is unlikely to have a solid state drive. They cost a lot more and the capacity is not as high. Beware that they can also fail without much warning at all..I've seen a few do that now. While they are working they are very very good and much quicker. Cheers
FollowupID: 762159

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:29

It's hard to go past the Ipad, they are still the tablet others a gauged by.

As for solid state harddrives vs stsndard type..... I think it's a bit of an urban myth one is better then the other and the excuse of "no moving parts" doesn't cut it..

We have used ONE laptop for over 4 years and have never had a problem, it hasn't even been formatted since we bought it new.

Many of our friends use laptops and the same never had a issue with the hard drive....... now before some come back and say there harddrive failed, show me the proof what caused the failure and I'll believe you.

For about the last 6 years nearly every harddrive comes with shock sensors and can handle big shock and vibration.
AnswerID: 486928

Reply By: mikehzz - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:38

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:38
I have an ipad and it is very good because it does everything, gps through the day, web browser after evening meals and movie player after that. I do have a very very big problem keeping it charged up for all the activity. It does not charge very well through the day while the gps is running. The gps seems to suck the power out of it like nothing else. Therefore it has to remain on some sort of charger none stop to be of any use. It is the only problem I have had but it is quite annoying to have to constantly be thinking of keeping it charged up, especially if you are in a tent. The older they get the shorter the battery life and they aren't really meant to be changed either.
AnswerID: 486931

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:55

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:55
Is there a piggyback type battery extender available for iPad like you can get for iPhones?
FollowupID: 762168

Reply By: Member - Minty (SA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:45

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:45
Hi Foot

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 64gig tab which runs Android OS. The kids gave this for my birthday. On this I run Oziexplorer for Android with the Hema maps. Works a treat. I used to run a laptop and a 7" GPS. Still have the GPS on the dash but don't bother with the laptop anymore. The tab is so light and easy to use. I can plug an plug in Camera SD cards and external USB drives through an adapter...about $9 off eBay .

I do all my internet stuff through the tab by "WiFi tethering" it the my Telstra mobile. I use Bluetooth to to send music to remote wireless speakers or the car stereo. All easy to do. The built in GPS on the tab works very well.
There are as many apps for Android as there are for iPad. Both are good systems.
With an Android system there are plenty of manufacturers, sizes, features and price points to choose from.

Things you might want to consider for whatever you get are:
- mounting systems and availability of shades
- Screens type - iPad and Galaxy have the best
- charging - battery life for most is about 8 hours (my experience with constant use)
- software & mapping availability
- capability to add USB drives and SD cards etc.

Cheers

Brad
AnswerID: 486932

Follow Up By: Member - Minty (SA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:57

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:57
Gone Bush makes a good point below.
On my android tab I also have the ability to edit MS Office documents, email and it has a Flash player.
FollowupID: 762169

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:48

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 19:48
Have a think about what else you might want to do with the device before you choose it.

I usually update my blog while on the move but my laptop is too big to take on our current trip so I took my iPad. The iPad has major shortcomings for anything other than web browsing and emails. No support for Flash, can't transfer photos from my camera, can't upload photos to the web, can only email photos taken by the iPad.

So my updates will have to wat until we get home. Next trip I will take a Windows Ultrabook.

So my recommendation would be: get the Hema Navigator and use it for what it was designed for.

Posted from Finsnes in northern Norway on a Hurtigruten fjord cruise. Highly recommended.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 486933

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:11

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:11
Or get an Android tablet :) which can do all you mention plus a lot more due to most haveing a USB port and SD card expansion.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 762231

Follow Up By: dingbat - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:20

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:20
I've got a little net book thingy and this iPad. Both of which I can download photos from cameras to. With the iPad I've bought the accessory pluggy things which allow a direct download or an sd card insertion and I can assure you it does the job.
FollowupID: 762276

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:54

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:54
That's true, dingbat. But why should I buy accessories when Apple promote the iPad as the perfect internet device? It's not. It's a perfect display of Apple's idiosyncracies.

Fortunately it came with some Pioneer AV stuff I bought. I know you never get something for nothing, and the cost was factored into the package, but it will end up being just a portable browser and email device around the house. As if I need something to make me lazier.

Cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 762302

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:16

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 21:16
The iPad also runs Bit Map which can use the Hema maps and the NSW and VIC 1:100,000 and 1:25,000 topo maps (no conversion required), and it runs VMS which has its own maps. I have had no trouble with the internal GPS in the iPad.
AnswerID: 487045

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:49

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:49
Foot,

As a long time OziExplorer user I did not want to change to anything else and for this reason I bought a Sumsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 which runs Android OS and there is a version of Ozi for it.
I have installed it for future evaluation against the Hema Navigator (HN5) I currently use. Both these run Ozi and include the Hema and Natmap series on digital maps.
I dont think it will replace the HN5 which is more compact but still practical, but with the larger dispay size I could be eventually convinced that the larger size may win out over compactness.

We will see!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 487069

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:36

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:36
Thanks Bill, does your Galaxy Tab have an in built gps or does it require a seperate usb attachment?
FollowupID: 762342

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 08:27

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 08:27
The GPS is built-in to the tablet. I didn't want to complicate things anymore than necessary.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 762396

Sponsored Links