Rear window protection

Submitted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:12
ThreadID: 95848 Views:3392 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Advice please of what other travellers use to protect the rear of vehicles, in paricular the rear window glass from breakage by flying stones bouncing off their caravan on unsealed roads.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:31

Sunday, May 27, 2012 at 22:31
Lively - My mechanic mate Joe has just fabricated a "stone catcher" for his camper trailer by welding four short (900mm) upright RHS (box section) steel posts to the drawbar of his camper, mounted in a semi-circle.

He doubled up a length of heavy duty shadecloth and slung it around the posts and attached it to the two outside/end posts by several big springs.
The shadecloth isn't taut, it's just barely tight, and it springs and moves readily when you whack it.

His theory is that the shadecloth will act like a catchers mitt, and catch and drop any big boondies that might take out the back window of his 'Cruiser.
I think it'll work O.K. He's off to Lake Eyre on July 9th, so we don't have to wait too long to see if it works!

I took the back window out of my 80 series around Nullagine in 1995, when a fist size rock bounced back off my car trailer!
I couldn't believe it, there was so little flat area on the front of the trailer for anything to hit and bounce back - but one rock found that sweet spot!!
That was an expensive BANG! - $800 worth at that time!

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 486950

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:36

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:36
Don't drive as fast
FollowupID: 762218

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:33

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:33
I do not think maybe that Ray really appreciates what our tyres do to rocks. If he inferred to around 15 KPH on corrugations then all I can say is; ouch!!! That would do more damage to the car and trailer than a rock would. And my teeth as well. Not really the answer I think Ray.

Anyway back to the topic. I also second the frame with loose material fastened to it. I do not tow any more but it makes sense. Anything taught will bounce things off. Loose material should just absorb the rocks momentum and hopefully just "drop it". But nothing is perfect, and in the meantime, keep the glass insurance up to date.
FollowupID: 762225

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:36

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:36
You can never have too much protection!

Even the stone guards with shade cloth can deflect a stone into the rear window if it happens to hit the frame itself.
It happened to me a few years ago.

A cheap option as a one off is the humble old beer carton which can be duct taped to the rear window.

A customed designed solution that you can still see through is available at Obie's Outback

As my dual cab has a cheaper rear screen on the canopy I no longer bother with this solution but use a Stone Stomper which not only protects the rear on the vehicle but the front and underside of whatever you are towing.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 762305

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:52

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:52
Use the search function on this site and search for 'stone' then sit back and read all the former threads for ideas.
See Camper Trailers stone guards for some ideas
I use a Stone Stomper Works well.
AnswerID: 486965

Reply By: Boof, Victoria - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:54

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 07:54
www.obiesoutback.com.au I have used this product on heaps of trips and it works great.

Boof
AnswerID: 486966

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:09

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:09
Beer cartons, Corflute (adverstising boards from grog shops or real estate agents) masking taped on, I've used a neporene type rubber from Clark Rubber with velcro effectively, Obies products. As said above do a search.

Stone Catchers seem to be the very best.
AnswerID: 486968

Reply By: rnrphantom - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:27

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 08:27
We're doing a 8 week trip soon from Melbourne - Alice - Darwin - Cairns and back to Melbourne. We'll be in a 2WD station wagon towing a trailer to hold our camping gear. As we are planning on staying on the bitumen, is it recommended that we fit a stone guard or is it primarily used for off road / gravel work?

Cheers & Beers

Rob, Kim & Will
AnswerID: 486969

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:44

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:44
mainly for when on a gravel road, they are used to stop the rocks that fly back from your vehicle that then bounce off the trailer back towards the towing vehicle and then smash the rear window.
cheers.
FollowupID: 762253

Reply By: WBS - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:31

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:31
I use a coreflute protector gaffer taped on. Its light and stops the stones from hitting the rear window but not the ones hitting the caravan. Before that I had a perspex sheet cut to shape and held on with suction caps. It lasted two long trips but the suction can couldn't handle the corrugations so I had to built a couple of perspex hooks to hook to the top of the rear door. It went to god somewhere between Tom Price and Port Hedland. Coreflute is a cheaper and lighter solution for me.

IMO One of those shade cloth arrangements would certainly solve the problem but I think they make it difficult to access the rear of the vehicle or the boot of the caravan. They also get pretty grotty in the wet.

WBS
AnswerID: 486975

Follow Up By: WBS - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:32

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 09:32
That should read suction caps
WBS
FollowupID: 762230

Reply By: landseka - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:46

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 10:46
I can 'second' the suggestion of beer cartons or convoluter cardboard to the back window as a simple preventative measure.

One thing we learned on a recent trip from Auski roadhouse to Karattha via Millstream after 2 of our 3 vehicles suffered broken rear windows was that the 'luggier' the tyres the greater the risk.

2 vehicles had All Terrain tyres and 1 had highway tyres and suffered no damage. Obviously the deeper tread picked up and threw more rocks.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 486980

Reply By: IH8TRMAC - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 11:50

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 11:50
If you still want vision out ya back window get some clear plastic from bunnings.

I still think the best way is to make your own stone guard. I have just finished making mine and I am going away this weekend coming to give it a real good try but if you are after a quick and easy solution as stated before cardboard or coreflute is quick and easy to get through a trip.

At the end of the day some prevention is better then none.

Cheers

Chris
Tarmac is another waste of tax payers money!!!!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 486986

Reply By: Pouchey - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:40

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:40
I can vouch for the others who have suggested Beer cartons my creation shown below after the cost of a replacement window, well insurance covered it but the next would have been at my cost so thought a box of beer was cheaper & more enjoyable

AnswerID: 487020

Follow Up By: dingbat - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:12

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:12
That's not a bad drop either! But I've got a bit of corflute from a big green shed yet to be tested.
FollowupID: 762273

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:42

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 06:42
Pouchey,

A good bit of advertising there matey!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 762307

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 10:13

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 10:13
I addition to the standard A-frame mounted deflector, & extended mudflaps,

I'm using ? Altrex Light Skinz film on the rear windows of both of my Patrols...

Been on there several years now.. Put it on once, and forget about it.....

I will not be going back to the perspex sheet/suction cap arrangement!
(draw your own conclusions)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487080

Sponsored Links