Again with 'da fridge slide question

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:33
ThreadID: 9585 Views:5524 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All again

Another annoying fridge slide question. I do not wish at this stage to have the full on draws and fridge slide system installed in my 60 series as my day to day work and budget will not cater for it.
However after purchasing my 40 litre Engel 10 months ago I have only used it twice and discovered what a pain it is to physically pull a full one of these things in & out at campspots.
Has any one fitted a fridge slide ONLY and if so how do they find the genuine ENGEL item and how have they mounted it to the floor of the vehicle.
I would also like to be able to remove it relatively easily between trips as I carry a lot of heavy electrical cable drums and tools for my work and do not wish it to get too badly damaged day to day.

I was thinking of cutting a piece of MDF to fit the back of the cruiser and screwing/bolting a slide to it and therefore being able to remove the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

Wahddya all think
Andi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:01

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:01
Andi.
I have same problem in my jack.
My solution, similar to your path but used marine ply and added three virtical sections to raise the floor and add additional space for storage. Very "cost effective" and easy to remove and install. Unit is held down by turnbuckles to existing fixtures on floor. Added carpet to the top of false floor for looks.
Nice little project.

RegardsThis 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 42205

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:20

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:20
I was thinking of cutting a piece of MDF to fit the back of the cruiser and screwing/bolting a slide to it and therefore being able to remove the whole thing in about 10 minutes.

Wahddya all think
Andi

I reckon its a good idea! 10 mins to install, and remove, couldnt ask for better.
AnswerID: 42214

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:49

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:49
Exactly what I'm planning for the back of the GQ. Don't think I really need draws so a shelf at the same height with a slide on top gives all the storage convinence for a fraction of the cost. And it comes out in a jiffy. Not to mention I can customise it around the water tank I want to put in. What more could you want?
FollowupID: 304669

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:28

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 13:28
Andi,
Like you, I couldn't justify that expense. I made up a "box" that has a compartment for the fridge, as well as compartments for the table, 4 sabco stackable boxes and the stove and jerry (at the rear of the fridge). To act as a fridge slide, I used the slides from some old file servers at work (used in the rack mounted servers). This setup means everything is pretty accessible, and the fridge slides in and out with one finger!

Cheers
Andrew
So much to see, too little time ...
Andrew
AnswerID: 42216

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:34

Thursday, Jan 08, 2004 at 14:34
Andi - Is a slide really essential? We have a 60 ltr Trailblaza strapped into the back of the 80 and it doesn't slide - just sits on a piece of ply which is basically to protect the carpet when the empty fridge is loaded into the Cruiser at the start of a trip and taken out at the end. The 80 does have a tailgate that we sometimes need to get onto when digging down to the frozen stuff at the bottom, but otherwise with the tailgate up both my wife and I can easily get at the contents. So most of the time it isn't a hassle. Neither of us is particularly tall. If you have the fridge a floor level you may find that a slide is not necessary.
AnswerID: 42236

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:45

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:45
But a slide is a great idea non-the-less....wont leave home without it now
best thing i ever built.....besides the fridge that is.

They do make life so much easierWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 304768

Reply By: Rob G - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 00:14

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 00:14
I bought the genuine Engel slide & have found it to be poorly built - too much movement in the slide when in the lock position. When hitting the bumps, the damn thing sometimes slips out of lock & wants to go sliding on its own.
AnswerID: 42301

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:29

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:29
Andi, I have tried several slides & current Pirrana one is the best. Ply is better than mdf just bolt it to tie down points & fix slide to it.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 42460

Reply By: Cumbo - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:12

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 02:12
Just made one with the advice from
http://www.geocities.com/hay_dj/Patrol/StorageSystem/PatrolStorageSystem.html
The slide is excellent and cost #38.00

CumboTD42
EFS
TX4400
Safari Snorkel
Rola Racks
Milford Barrier
Engel 39l
AnswerID: 42533

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:07
I have the Engel slide and wouldn't recommend it to anyone as I believe it to be flimsy. When I slide it out fully the slide drops to one side. Mind you it is a 60 Litre job but I also bought the slide to suit.
When I rang Engel to complain they couldn't have cared less.
The thing I do like about it is that it's secured to the floor or in this case drawers and I will further secure the fridge to the slide when I've worked out how to secure that permanently.
hope this helps
AnswerID: 42900

Sponsored Links