Camping in the cairns region

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2012 at 13:37
ThreadID: 95859 Views:18367 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , we've been camping around the Cairns area since easter , just thought i would share some of our experiences and rate the camps. we are a couple with 3 kids , a dog and a conventional caravan which obviously restricts our movements so i can't comment about where we can't go .
we started easter at Archers Creek near Ravenshoe , now i'm slightly biased here because i love this place . Free camping always a bonus , has toilets rubbish bins a tap , no showers , no power but you CAN have fires and dogs . Swimming is possible in the adjacent millstream river , nice safe swimming , it's about 15 ks from ravenshoe on the Savannah Way , great spot Innot Hot springs is definitely worth a visit . Lots of indigineous people in the area , very nice they are as well . the Ravenshoe information centre is a beauty . Day trips we did were atherton/Herberton , Lake Eacham definitely an awesome swimming spot .
We went to Cairns next and stayed at the Lake Placid caravan park for a week $49 a night for a powered site for us phew . nice enough park , swimming pool, camp kitchen , don't really like caravan parks . We went to mareeba next and stayed in the rodeo grounds , cost about $20 a night for us , no shade but spacious , good hot showers , power and a relaxed feel , heaps of kangaroos live there and come out often , another great information centre , we did day trips to the Walsh river ( free camping by the bridge 0 , Dimbulah , granite gorge ( careful , they charge about $ 7;50 per person we only wanted a swim so for 5 of us we backed out ), Davies creek on the way to Kuranda was very nice . From there we stayed 4 nights at the Babinda rest area , free camp , cold showers no toilets , nice spot we visited the boulders 3 or 4 times for a beautiful swim , the town is good and friendly .
Then it was back to cairns , we stayed at the Cool waters caravan park which was probably the best c/van park since we left Adelaide in december . Has the Freshwater creek running through and we were lucky to get a spot right on the creek with a swimming hole . Same as Lake placid $49.00 a night , has camp kitchen the only touble we had here was permanent residents who thought they owned the place , had a real dick next to us , when we parked in our designated spot he told us to move to another spot as we were setting up because it was too small , we explained that we had been directed here , he still said tell them no , so i then said no i like it here , after that he complained at any noise , his dog came in to our camp and tore up rubbish , he came close to a punch in the nose i tell ya , but a good park overall , also has a massive park / picnic area to walk dogs in next door .
then we went to the Daintree region , camped at Lync-Haven , a massive $53 a night , nice park in the rainforest , some awesome swimming holes around and the day trips to cape trib etc. very nice . We went to a backpacker lodge for tea / internet it was called crocadylus on the Cow Bay beach road , looked a viable option to stay , good meals and a very friendly down market atmosphere . Then we went up the bloomfield track without the caravan and stayed 2 nights at the lions Den camp ground in helen vale cost $36 a night for unpowered camping , rundown camp ameneties block , no camp Kitchen , nice campground but reall quite dissapointing this one . we were in tents and it was wet so we ended up back down at ayton at Hayles cabins and Camping , much better , we actually got a safari tent for the night $ 105 so expensive but we really loved the park and the people especially compared to the lions Den , the Wujal Wujal falls were excellent and the local aboriginals very nice , saw our first croc on the banks of the bloomfield river ,
now back in cairns at Lake Placid again , nothing special but we didnt want to re-visit mr. Grumpy at cool Waters .
The only reson we've stayed this long in the region is so our 16 year old can play some AFL football here , now we're hoping to billet him out while we go to cape York .
hope it might be helpfull to someone . cheers Dave and Michelle
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: getmethehelloutahere - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:17

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:17
cheers, that was very interesting
AnswerID: 487031

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:13

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:13
Well commented Dave. good info here and you obviously enjoy FNQ. Shame about the DH at cool waters but there always seems to b one no matter where you go. you seem to have met him that time.

Anyway good read have a geat time you should start a blog and keep us up to day all of the time not just one large comment.

PS im an ex FNQer my wife and I both have parents on the tablelands.

Regards

M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487036

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:27

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:27
Stayed at Cool Waters 2 years ago for about 5 weeks whilst buying an investment house (moving into it next year!). Had a great site. Right on the river, mountain side overlooking the creek. Had quite a few neighbours..everyone were no worries. Really enjoyed that park.
AnswerID: 487040

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:20

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 22:20
At those prices no wonder grey nomads camp out of town and drive in to visit. They've written letters to the editor about it. No discount for longer term stays?
AnswerID: 487053

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 22:25

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 22:25
Had a talk with daughter whose son plays under 16 footy in Cairns. Just finished the under 15 State Championships today in Cairns. He plays for the Tigers. I'll be heading up the cape with my brother from Brisbane in a week or so, just waiting for my Drifta drawer to be finished and sent.
FollowupID: 762387

Follow Up By: ombo99 - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:22

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:22
Nice OnYaBike , yeah the lad plays for the Bulldogs u/16 they had their first loss last week , got touched up by the Tigers , so they'll cross paths , his name is Sean Campbell . We're heading for the Cape next week , the lad is staying with the B grade coach and his wife .Yea expensive Cairns , who wants to pay $350 a week for a powered sight ?
FollowupID: 762405

Follow Up By: Member - OnYaBike - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 00:44

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 00:44
Daughter says all the U16 games are at Centrals from here on, she will look out for Sean. Grandson Heath easy to spot, tall with 70's style Afro. Might see you on the track, we'll be staying at wife's daughter's place at Seisia. Waiting for miserable weather to improve to our usual brilliant "winter".
FollowupID: 762470

Follow Up By: ombo99 - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:16

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:16
Cheers , we're heading up the Cape probably next week , hopefully the weather clears up , . Not sure how long we'll take , the lad staying behind is the adventure type and my offsider for fishing etc. so have to get the wife and t.v. kids involved a bit more then we'll stay a bit longer maybe a month or so .
FollowupID: 762497

Sponsored Links