Towing Mirrors

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2012 at 14:49
ThreadID: 95862 Views:1751 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Camperdeals have two Trojan brand towing mirrors on special for $59.00 the pair. ( plus $15.95 p&h) These are of the style of fitting on your existing door mirrors. Has anyone purchased these previously? and if so how good are they for security of mounting and for vibration? Regards G.T.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:12

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:12
Hi G.T.

Cannot advise on the brand you are refering to or the price.
However, a mate had a set of those strap on mirrors which attache to your existing mirrors and he said that they were never the best answer to the problem.
Eventually one vibrated loose and fell onto the road way down on the central coast NSW and that was the end of that.

He now has a set of the Aussie Truck mirror types (same style but different name)
and is more than happy with them. He modified the window rubber to accommodate them where they slip in beside the window glass..

I was lucky that my nephew had advised me to get a set of the Aussie Truck Mirrors, several years ago, and I did so and was always happy with them on my 80 series.

I damaged the window glass on my 2003 100 series Cruiser with them so I now have a set of Clearview mirrors (very expensive), as a replacement drivers door window would not be cheap.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487011

Follow Up By: toyotarules - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:32

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 19:32
Lol it did the same with my 2003 100 series the tint on both sides so now I run the clear view mirrors to and love em
FollowupID: 762266

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:49

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 20:49
The problem on the 100 series seems to be that there is less room between the glass and the outside metal on the door or the cover strip incorporating the wiper rubber is wider and the wiper rubber thinner. Either way there is less room for the mirror bracket.

I know the rubber does not like to be scrunched up tight under the mirror bracket as it requires a fair bit of tension to keep the mirror bracket away from the window glass and the rubber takes several days to regain its shape once the mirrors have been removed.
I heard of one person who busted their drivers window and then decided on fitting the Clearview Mirrors.

I fugured I would not wait till I busted the window before I acted. I think I took the cheaper option by fitting them now.
This problem did not occur on the 80 series and it is probably OK many other vehicles as well. It just seems the 100 series is the issue.

My mate actually cut the rubber away with a razor blade on his 98 model 100 series to fit the truck mirror type. He is very happy with his mirrors.

Cutting the wiper rubbers was not an option for me.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 762278

Reply By: Member - G.T. - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:38

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 16:38
Thanks for the replies. I did not really want to go the Aussie truck mirror design due to potential damage to the door rubber. Clearview don`t have one for a L/R Discovery at present. However further search has come up with a Camec XL clip on from KulKyne Kampers for $21.81 each. It has an one month money back guarrantee, so I may give this a go. The Camec one looks identical to the Trojan one other than a slight difference in the shape of the mirror head. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 487104

Sponsored Links