Plenty Highway.. 2wd?

Submitted: Monday, May 28, 2012 at 15:55
ThreadID: 95864 Views:4057 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hey guys, do you think it would be possible to drive the plenty highway with a mitsubishi starwagon 2wd? (assuming good condition of the road to be checked in alice before departing and 2 spare tyres)... I've been finding lots of different opinions online, someone is saying you could go with a family car, someone else say it's a nightmare..

I know this is probably not possible but i just wanted to dublecheck and here seems the right place to do so! I should say i have some experience in off road driving but for sure i don't want to take stupid risks, just tell me what do you think!

cheers

Sil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:02

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:02
Make sure the suspension is tip top and you have some all terrain tyres that you can let down a bit and you'll be right.
All the bash cars drive the plenty. Biggest problem they have is shredding road tyres and blowing shocks.
Oh, and carry enough fuel.
The Plenty really is just a long station driveway...
AnswerID: 486998

Reply By: pmacks - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:03

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:03
Hi SIL

this should pose no problems at all !! it is just a dirt road although weather will be the big issue, if it is raining dont bother, also you could strike corrugations for the whole 800Ks

pmacks
AnswerID: 486999

Reply By: Solsil - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:13

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:13
that's great to hear!.. thanks a lot for the advices.
The van is dual fuel (90LT gpl) so it should be ok for long distances (a bit shorter than 900km with both tanks full) I'll have the suspension checked for the rwc next week.
AnswerID: 487000

Reply By: Iain M - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:24

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 16:24
As noted above the road can be a problem if it rains, if you take your time and drive to the conditions it is not that difficult.
It wasn't that many years ago that 4WD vehicles were no so common and travelling was done in the family car. Some still do just that today, a HQ Holden was driven to the top of Big Red a couple of years ago. It did need a push from some willing helpers (photos on the wall of the Birdsville Hotel). Not so sure a modern sedan would do it LOL.
Middleton is and interesting place, free camp and showers (the landlords own), a frosty and a chat in the bar is a great way to spend an evening.
Cockatoo Waterhole was another good camp along the way.
Gemtree at the Western end looked great but was a bit pricey (2010). Never seen so many campovens as there was in "Kate's Kitchen" I think that was her name.
Anthills are something to see as well.
Good way to get to the Centre, hope you have a good trip.
AnswerID: 487001

Follow Up By: rainbowprof - Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:50

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 23:50
Did it in an old Holden with nearly bald tyres years ago. Got one flat. Good tyres and a couple of spares would be better prepared. A few bumps and corrugations. Don't race through. Did it in a Troopy recently. Smoother in the Holden from memory.
FollowupID: 762301

Reply By: gelatr- Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:00

Monday, May 28, 2012 at 17:00
Back in the late 80s early 90s when I was living in Tambo Qld a mate of mine drove a falcon station wagon towing a trailer back and forwards across the Plenty to Alice. He had no problems. In fact I've still, got the same trailer sitting in my shed today.

Back in those days before I could afford a 4wd I use to regularly drive the direct route between Tambo and Alpha in a Holden Gemini. When I lived out there this road was a real bull dust ridden goat track, but the biggest issue for me was not the corrugations or the bull dust it was the crown between the wheel tracks. To get the Gemini through you would often have to put one of the wheels on the track crown adding extra potential issues to tyre problems and so on.

I learnt to drive on the clay pans of southern NSW so for me I was confident in my ability to get the car through and to get the car out of bog holes.

So would I drive a 2wd vehicle across the Plenty? The answer, given what I have done in the past, is yes. But having recently done it in a 4wd I know the trip is much more comfortable and less stressful in a purpose built vehicle.

So to answer your question you really need to ascertain what your own driving experience is and your ability to get out trouble should this potentially arise.

Cheers,

Geoff
AnswerID: 487007

Sponsored Links