Front Bumper for Landcruiser 105 series (NOT TRYING TO SELL!)

Submitted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:12
ThreadID: 95883 Views:2250 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm getting a bullbar fitted to my Cruiser this week and have been asked by ARB if I want to keep the front bumper once it's fitted. I have phoned around a couple of wreckers but they don't seem that interested. Has anyone had any luck getting rid of theirs or is it not worth holding on to?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:22

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:22
Cruiser74 -They're not worth much because a big majority of new 4WD's are fitted with bullbars, and the supply of new unused bumpers is pretty substantial. That's until you want to buy one yourself, of course!!

The only time there's a demand for them is when a smash repair shop is repairing a standard 'Cruiser with no bullbar. As most 'Cruisers with no bullbars are "Toorak taxis", there's usually little chance of the demand being high, as most "Toorak taxis" rarely get up enough speed to be involved in smashes!

The only other scenario is when you sell your 'Cruiser and you want to rip off the bullbar and re-install the standard bumper. Some people do this to get more money from the sale, and make the vehicle appear more like a well-cared-for, "Toorak taxi"! [;-)

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 487092

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:34

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:34
Haha! Great response Ron thanks for that! I don't really have the need for any more clutter so I think I'll leave it up to ARB to get rid of. Funny though, I bet if I were to have an accident and damaged the bullbar and it had to be removed it would cost me a packet to get a replacement front bumper put on!

I find it interesting that you would get more for a sale by taking off a $1200 bullbar and replacing it with a plastic factory bumper??

Thanks again.

Craig
FollowupID: 762332

Follow Up By: Ron N - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:52

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 13:52
"I bet if I were to have an accident and damaged the bullbar and it had to be removed it would cost me a packet to get a replacement front bumper put on!"

You're not wrong there. They'd charge you the full retail price, even though they sourced a new one removed from a 'Cruiser!

The idea of increasing the return on a sale is that a used 'Cruiser fitted with a bullbar doesn't bring much more than a 'Cruiser without one - and in some cases, it encourages buyers who think a 4WD without a bullbar hasn't been used off-road or abused.
In addition, you can generally get $300-400 for a good used, top-quality, brand-name bullbar. So, some people will remove the bullbar to get what they see as an improved return on the total sale value.
It all depends on the values, and the lower value used 4WD's is where the most gain is, doing this move.
FollowupID: 762334

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:14

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 14:14
Makes sense and I suppose I was suckered in to thinking the same when I bought mine. No bullbar?! Yay it hasn't been used off road! On further inspection it had no snorkel and the transfer case lever was actually stuck so fast I had to pull it apart and spray the bugger with Inox so I could get it in to Low range. Have since had it on all sorts of terrain and she absolutely Hums along! Looking forward to picking her up this week. Getting a snorkel and driving lights fitted as well. The first stage of modifications crossed off the list and looking forward to continue building it into a really solid and reliable tourer!

Cheers Ron
FollowupID: 762339

Follow Up By: ombo99 - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:27

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:27
Yea happened to me , got a buullbar fitted on my 100 series at ARB , they didn't even ask if i wanted to keep it . I asked them what they do with it and they said it would end up in the bin , i'm sure it would cost a 1,000 or two if you had to buy one .
FollowupID: 762409

Sponsored Links