Accessing the very tip of the Cape via wheelchair.

Hi all,

Just another post with something that I was wondering which can be frustrating at times.

I'm planning a trip to the Cape York in September, via the old telegraph line.

When I'm in my car all is fine should get through anything, hopefully.

Different story outside of the car with the wheel chair.

Anyway to get to the point, I want to know what the terrain is like after the carpark and the short walk to the very tip where the "you are now standing (sitting in my case) at the northern most point of oz) sign stands.

I've kind of checked it out on google earth, doesn't seem to far. From the pics I've seen it looks pretty rocky but possibly dooable.

Im not to bad over rough surface in the wheelchair, if anyone is familiar with Palm Springs near Hermansburg NT I've done that track, with a piggy back from mates up the sections with stairs.

This time I'll most likely be just with my Girl friend, dont really want to ask her to piggy back me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 15:46

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 15:46
rb30e.

The only way that you could get to the tip of Cape Yoke in a wheelchair is at low tide. The direct route is over the rock. You would have to time it right to do it on the sand. their are also several pools of water left behind at low tide. It would be easier to go by boat.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487102

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 18:05

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 18:05
Hi rb30e,

Try making contact with Mike & Amanda (members blogs) they have just walked to the tip & sign in the last 2 weeks and might be able to give you a clearer picture.

Cheers

Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487113

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:19

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 19:19
Hi

I have done it twice including a week ago.

It is not far (a few hundred meters) but there is practically none of the 'track' where you could roll your chair. It is a gentle scramble over uneven rocks following your chosen path between the guide cairns up and down two small hillocks.

I think if you are keen enough and have a couple of assistants for the trip it would be possible. The season is starting so all you would need to do is wait at the end of the road and suggest that the incoming group of young guys would not be able to help get you to the tip for your photo. Should work easily.

Having met some people who have gone to some amazing places in their chair, I would be extremely surprised if you are the first.

Have a great trip and post your photo here when you get back.

Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 487119

Follow Up By: Been-Everywhereman - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 21:40

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 21:40
Heya,

How are the harder creek crossings this year and which ones are they?
FollowupID: 762460

Follow Up By: Stretchlizard2 - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:18

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:18
Hi beeneverywhereman

There were no hard crossings on the bypass roads as I towed my heavy caravan, just some muddy parts.

I heard that there were some drowned vehicles but that was probably operator error as lots were doing the OTL.

Cheers Stretchlizard
FollowupID: 762498

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:50

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:50
IMHO, unless you had several helpers it would be impossible to get to the tip in a wheelchair.
I have some photos of the track if you want to post your email address I will email some to you.
BTW , I don't know if we were there on dead low, but AFAIR the water was still about half way out , and to get up onto the track is about a 3 metre very steep rock shelf.
The track is not really a track but a route where grass etc is worn down by use, but with boulders up to say 50CM to get over , gaps between rocks etc etc .
While we were there a group tour was there also and it took 2 young helpers to get some of the oldies there with 2 sticks.
Given the number of tourists , I am surprised that the State Government has not made a boardwalk.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 487132

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:53
BTW, Palm valley is much easier , in that it is either dirt or bedrock, whereas Cape York is a jumble of boulders.
Regards Philip A
FollowupID: 762382

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:58

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 21:58
You are going to need a lot of help, but this should not be a barrier as I think that there will be plenty of folk who would want to help. It is rough nearly all the way with some big step-ups.
Going via the beach would really shorten the rougher stuff, but it might be harder and there are fewer people. Using a couple of ramps would help a lot.
I would call nat parks and see if they can offer advice.
It can be done, and sounds like you can do it.
ian
AnswerID: 487135

Reply By: rb30e - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 14:17

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 14:17
Hey, thanks all.

Guess best way to find out is to drive up and give it a go
AnswerID: 487275

Reply By: Brett H - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:38

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:38
Hi,

Back in the late 80's we travelled up to the cape with a group that included a guy with one leg (and a full false one) who drove a subaru. Once we got to the tip he was having trouble walking over some of the terrain to get to the beach, so we decided to carry him the rest of the way. After a while we found it would be easier to take his falsy off and piggy back him. He loved it when he got there and the sense of achievment we all felt was great. Don't let any dissability hold you back. If you have some mates there to help you then you can do it.
The pictures may give you some idea about the terrain, although they were taken a long time ago. Not sure if access has changed since then.

AnswerID: 487349

Sponsored Links