Unlocking Garmin Maps

Submitted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 15:33
ThreadID: 95904 Views:5901 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Everyone,

Just bought myself a new Garmin GPSmap 62s. Very happy with it BUT the topo maps that I bought with it won't unlock. I've contacted Garmin (no reply yet) and also went to a Garmin forum and noticed similar issues with the maps.

Has anyone ever had to unlock the maps from the DVD or micro SD card?

If I cant get it done within the next few days I'll take the maps back and just use Ozi with it as the GPS is compatible with the OziExplorer program (the new one).

I can list all the steps I took to unlock the maps but not much point unless someone here has done it.

Getting frustrated after spending lots of $$$ on these darn maps.

Cheers ...

Scol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 15:57

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 15:57
I have unlocked Garmin mapsets MANY times.
Is your mapset on DVD or microSD Card?

There are several methods.

Perhaps your easiest:
Download and install the Garmin Communicator Plugin for your PC:
http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator

Go here to continue:
https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm

Let us know if you still have no success.
AnswerID: 487180

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 06:00

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 06:00
As you know I used this prgram Scubadoo so again, many thanks!

:)

Scol.
FollowupID: 762564

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:11

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:11
It also helps if you create a Garmin account and register your GPS and mapping software.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487318

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:59

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 05:59
Thanks Doug,

It was the first thing I did. It was annoying to see the unlock code and yet I still couldn't use it.

I used the link provided by Scubadoo and it appears that was what I needed (the communicator program). However, I still can't access my maps with Base Camp but Mapsource is doing what I need to do and I can also use the Garmin with Ozi so am happy with that.

Thanks for your reply!

Scol.
FollowupID: 762563

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:09

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:09
Scol

Base Camp is a pain in the ass, Noel K couldn't get the grasp of it either , The Garmin Topo is easier to use if you have City Nav' installed, all you do is switch from one to the other.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762569

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:24

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:24
Yeah thanks for that Doug ... I'm finding that out!

I'm just using the Mapsource program to transfer maps and edit waypoints etc. and using Ozi on the PC for plots, track planning etc. with the various topo maps I have.

I gotta say tho' ... despite the hassles I really love the GPS. Just a shame Garmin don't provide quality customer support. I said before, unlocking maps seems to be a global issue as I found out on the Garmin forum.

Cheers and thanks again!

Scol.
FollowupID: 762570

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:36

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:36
Scol....hey Scol................

Nothing's an issue if you know how , but yes I agree Garmin manipulation (big word for this time of morning) can be a frustrating experience for some.
It's amazing how many tourists I have come to me and ask for help on how to do something on a Laptop or GPS... the office sends them to me...all good fun though and I don't mind helping.
When I said switching between maps I meant on the PC not the GPS, that's another one that some can't do on their GPS .

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762571

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:47

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:47
That's interesting ... I don't have that particular feature on Mapsource and yet I see it clearly on Base Camp. I can also see the Aus NZ Topo Maps v3 in that screen (Base Camp) but again ... whenever I try to access it it tells me the map is unlocked.

BTW ... are you a Ranger in the NT? I lived there in the 80's and 90's. I used to help the rangers in Borroloola catch the problem crocs. Ahhh the days ... ;)

Scol.
FollowupID: 762572

Follow Up By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:52

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:52
Me a Ranger, no I'm a retired old truckie and Pilot Vehicle owner, I live on Mt Bundy Station near Adelaide River, I do odd jobs around the place and Fence repairs, WW2 tours on the Station and enjoy life.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762573

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:55

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:55
Yeah I know Mt Bundy. I was freinds with the Townsends who live a bit further north of you.

I used to work with the Pilot Vehicles too as I was in the Police there for about ten years ... you prolly won't talk to me now ... ;)

Stay well.

Scol.
FollowupID: 762574

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 23:47

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 23:47
Hi

What map sets are you tying to unlock? Were they supplied on DVD or SD? Who sold them to you?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487332

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 06:02

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 06:02
Hi Greg,

Using the DVD Aust and NZ Topo maps v3. As per my reply to Doug it's all good and am now using the GPS along with Mapsource and OziExplorer but still unable to access the maps with Base Camp prgram.

Shoulld also add that Garmin have still not replied ... Praise be to the internet!

:D

Scol.
FollowupID: 762565

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 10:03

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 10:03
Good stuff .

Not sure why Basecamp isnt picking it up though ...if it works in Mapsource it should also work with BC...though I have no experience with the product in question. Can you see the maps in Basecamp if the GPS is connected to the PC? This is the requirement for SD card supplied maps.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762591

Follow Up By: Scolers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 14:45

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 14:45
Hi Greg,

When I open base Camp the first thing that comes up is a window that says 'Windows is searching for TOPO AUS NZ v3.gmap. To locate the fiile yourself click Browse.' When I click on Browse I'm taken to my hard drive. I then go to program files (x86) and search for the file but it's not there. The DVD has already extracted the files so I search for any file containing the '.gmap' prefix on the hard drive. There's only that one plus the world maps so I click on the Aus NZ TOPO file. After that there's nothing. Base Camp opens and I cant locate the maps to get to the .gmap file.

When I look for the maps on the hard drive I can't find them (hidden program?) and yet the maps are registered and showing unlocked on the Garmin website.

If you look at the pic that Doug has put up I see that same icon on Base Camp in the top left of the screen and it says 'Aus NZ Topo v3' ... when I click on it it tells me that the maps have not been unlocked.

I've tried the program with GPS device attached and unattached all to no avail.

I've just about given up as I'm happy to use OziExplorer on the PC when editing tracks etc. So long as I can import maps to the GPS device I'm happy.

I'm happy to try anything new. I'm still optimistic and I'm betting there's something I haven't done but ... what is it? :S

Cheers and thanks!

Scol.

FollowupID: 762616

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 11:53

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 11:53
In the distant past I've called the support no. on the Garmin Aus site and had good results. Sounds like they've gone downhill.

BTW, you wouldn't want to auto-route to Cameron Cnr with Garmin Topo Aus. v. 2 .... it's way out of the correct position.
AnswerID: 487368

Sponsored Links