Great central Road

Hi after leaving Perth on Friday morning we arrived at Ayres Rock Van park yesterday evening. The road was in very good on the WA side of the border and was terrible on the NT side for about the first 100 after that it was good we were lucky enough to pass a grader on the job. The van went well over the rough parts we were lucky enough to only break one glass.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 19:46

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 19:46
Thanks for reporting The Crow - i'm sure that with the oft asked question about the GCR, many will appreciate you report.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487304

Reply By: Territory29 - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:28

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:28
Thanks for the report, I will be travelling the GCR in 2 weeks going east to west.
Do you have any recomendations of things to see and do, or prefereces for camping ? Also recomendations for fuel and what price should I expect to pay.

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Greg
AnswerID: 487323

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 17:51

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 17:51
Hi We are still at Ayres Rock so have no idea about fuel prices in Alice Springs but diesel here at the van park is $2.13 per ltr its shell does not take shopper dockets or give flybuys. Warakurna Roadhouse in WA diesel is $2.30, Warburton it is $2.43, Tjukayirla Roadhouse $2.45, Laverton $1.73.9, Leonora $1.63.9, Kalgoorlie $1.58.9. We free camped at Yarla Kutjarra Campsite about 136ks west of Warakurna there was a lot of rubbish there but the toilet was clean and we had the place to ourselves we also had 2 or 3 Dingos howling close to the van at about 1am. The majority of the road was in good condition. The worst part was for about 100ks into NT. We free camped outside of Leonora at Malcom Dam and at Lake Ballard out side of Menzies.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762624

Follow Up By: Territory29 - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:58

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:58
Thanks for the follow up and great report.
Cheers
Greg
FollowupID: 762781

Follow Up By: Fiona C - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:01

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 18:01
Thanks for the report Crow. Can you advise if we will get a 24 foot Supreme Territory across the GCR? We aren't sure it's too long for any creek/river crossings? Your advice appreciated. Cheers Fiona
FollowupID: 763791

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 22:31

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 22:31
Hi we towed our 24ft Van across without any dramas however it has 16in Landcruiser wheels on it.We did see a few smaller onroad vans on the road as well. We have the non slip matting on the bottom of every cupboard and for the whole trip broke only one glass not bad we thought, considering how rough the road was from the NT border for about the first 100ks east. Over all the road was in good condition. We also removed our TV from its mounts and put it on the bed. Glad we did because our lounge cushions ended up on the floor a few times on that short stretch of rough road. We were down to 10 to 15 kls per hour and were checking the van regularly. We are currently in Alice Springs.
200 Series V8 Diesel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763821

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:28

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 09:28
Forgot to add make sure you have some sort of stone protection setup between the car and van worth they are their money ours sure looked after our van. Can't imagine how much damage we would of had to both the front of the van and back of the cruiser if we hadn't had it.
200 Series V8 Diesel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763835

Sponsored Links