Canopy for twin cab

Submitted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 20:40
ThreadID: 95944 Views:5401 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for a canopy for my twin cab BT50.I have looked at the ARB and TJM canopy which is a plastic material no inner lining ,flexeglass (fibreglass)with lining,Caddy which is a fibreglass and Razorback metal and fibreglass models all with inner lining all have good points and not so good points.My main concern is the clamping of the canopy's.I will not be fitting at present but would like the option to fit them later with a roof top tent.Do you have a favourite or issue with any of the above brands.Also if you know of another I am open to ideas
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GT Campers - Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:11

Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 21:11
You will need to check if the canopy is available with (or requires) an internal frame - some frames cut into the load area and you will need to decide if this will impinge on drawer systems etc
HTH
AnswerID: 487317

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:04

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 07:04
Carl,

I have the ARB canopy with an internal steel frame and although it doesn't have an inner liner, do you really need one?
The external Roof rack bolts to the frame posts at the four corners of the canopy, so no stress is placed on the canopy shell itself.

The ARB ABS plastic shell is about 6-8mm thick as I recall when fitting the optional vent.

Excellent quality and I have had no issues with it.

One tip. Buy a canopy with lift up windows on both sides to assist easy access.
You will be disappointed if you don't.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487337

Reply By: Polaris - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:20

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 20:20
We had a 2010 Ford Ranger twin cab. Mazda BT50 clone. First put an Ironman canopy on it. Numerous trips back to the dealer for water leak issues. Dealer eventually conceded that he could not stop the leaks. returned for a full refund.

Replaced it with a Razorback. Great steel canopy, lined, central locking connected with the Ford - so unlocking the vehicle with the Ford remote also unlocked the canopy. If vehicle doors weren't opened, then the canopy would also auto lock after 30 seconds. Also had a rear window demister - operated in tandem with the vehicle demister. Tailgate was also steel - with catches like a hatchback, no need to slam. Canopy light was also switched the same as in the vehicle cab - on/off/door. Activated by the rear hatch if wanted.

Highly recommended ...
AnswerID: 487402

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 22:02

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 22:02
what is its roof load rating? Can you put a tent - or whatever - on top?
FollowupID: 762648

Follow Up By: Polaris - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 08:57

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 08:57
No internal frame needed - canopy frame is integrated and includes roof bars.

I didn't use the supplied roof bars , but fitted mine with a Pro-Rack track system.

http://www.auburncanopies.com.au/ac/ute-canopies/razorback-ute-canopies

Just as strong as the roof on the twin cab.
FollowupID: 762668

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:53

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:53
Nice!
FollowupID: 762855

Follow Up By: Polaris - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 13:31

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 13:31
The Razorback canopies are made in Thailand by Sammitr Motor Manufacturing. It is a large manufacturing company and the canopies are only a small part of the business.

Check it out at http://www.sammitr.com/

Click on the "Auto Parts" link and follow to the canopy section.

Our Razorback had "SMM" etched into the glass and also on some of the fittings.

Once again - highly recommended. Top gear.

Polaris
FollowupID: 762871

Sponsored Links