gibb rivr rd

Hi all,
I'm going to Derby shortly and leaving my caravan there to drive the gibb river rd to Windjana gorge,tunnel creek and back to derby via Great northern highway.I have a 2wd falcon,I have heard this drive can be done in a 2wd vehicle.Does anyone know if this can be done without wrecking the car.
kman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RodnSue - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 15:25

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 15:25
Hi Kman
I don't know the condition of this road at the moment, but the condition of the roads will depend on when it was last graded.
Our experience last year in a 4WD was that this section of road from Winjana Gorge to Tunnell Creek was very badly corrugated - in fact it was worse than the GRR & of > 3,000 of dirt roads we did last yr.
This road traverses through limestone country, so we had to drop our speed further in those sections where the stones were potentially sharper. (tyre pressure was already reduced)
We changed our plans of taking our off road van to Fitzroy Crossing via this road after finding the road condition so bad.

I'm sorry that this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but others on this forum may have better info for you if they've recently been along there.

cheers
Sue
AnswerID: 487378

Follow Up By: Hunter Gatherer - Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 17:45

Friday, Jun 01, 2012 at 17:45
We did it some years ago in a Mitsubishi Magna without any problems to Winjana Gorge, Tunnel Creek to Fitzroy Crossing so I supposes it depends on when the road is graded.
FollowupID: 762623

Reply By: WBS - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 14:12

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 14:12
You should be able to do it from the perspective of there being no creek crossings or any other obstacles that require a 4WD. The road condition when we drove that same route was varied.

From Derby to Windjana Gorge turn off the Gibb River Rd is sealed for quite a way. The unsealed parts were quite smooth back when we drove there in August 2010 so you should get more up to date info on road conditions when you plan to head out.

From the turn off to Windjana Gorge, the road was appallingly corrugated with sharp stones the size of a cricket ball lying loose on the surface. No need for 4WD but I'd be taking it carefully with on road tyres.

The road from Windjana Gorge to Tunnel creek was worse, but I saw some of 2WD utes doing the trip without any problems. Just take care and use the correct tyre pressure. Light truck tyres would be something to consider for that sort of road.
WBS
AnswerID: 487443

Sponsored Links