Landcruiser auto transmission

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 11:46
ThreadID: 95973 Views:1653 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I am looking at buying a 1998 GXL Landcruiser; it's a 4.2l Diesel - no turbo. I took it for a spin and although a little slow, she wasn't too bad.

One thing I noticed though was that when doing 50 or so km/h and then putting the foot down, it didn't want to change down a gear. It just laboured in top gear. There was very little delay in shifting the gears manually or out of O/D, so that was good. I forgot to check the trans dipstick...

It's pretty long in the tooth with over 300,000km on it, but the services have been routine. I don't want to buy a truck with looming issues.

My plan is to get a mechanic to look over it when the shop opens. Until then, i'm open to speculation!

Thanks.

Joshua.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PhilD - Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 23:25

Saturday, Jun 02, 2012 at 23:25
Hi,
I have a 2000 GXL that has done 230K with aftermarket turbo and intercooler, which is the same, even with a bit more go. I have learnt to be willing to manually change down when needed, and then it performs OK. Your observations are correct based on my experiences but I don't know whether it is related to the 4 speed, or just the way the transmission was made.
Phil
AnswerID: 487476

Follow Up By: Joshuah - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 16:40

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 16:40
Thanks Phil,

I noted that there was a 'power' button on the center console too, which I assume would have made the gear changes a little more aggressive. Hindsight!

Before twigging onto this, I went back for a 2nd drive without the family. At 80-100km/h she swayed horribly - me being tossed side-to-side in the seat. I had to brake for a cyclist and under brakes it pulled and swerved about too. That was a bigger turn-off than a sluggish car and transmission. My wife took it too and thought she was going to crash >70km/h!

I'll talk to a mechanic tomorrow to get an idea of it before walking away altogether. Not looking great, but that's okay.

Joshua.
FollowupID: 762792

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:03

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:03
Joshua - You're obviously looking at a very tired GXL with a lot of hard kms behind it and a lot money needing to be spent.
The "rock/n/roll" handling is almost certainly worn-out shock absorbers, worn suspension bushings, and general suspension tiredness.
Also, don't forget that a speedo is the last thing you look at. 50% of speedos lie.
I've known way too many people (that I had little time for) who thought nothing of disconnecting speedos for extended periods.

I'd walk away from this one, it sounds like the current owner is leaving all the repair bills for you to pick up.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 487524

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:06

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:06
Ron!! Thats a bit harsh... Sound like a normal well maintained Landcruiser to me!! :) Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 762808

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:29
Michael - Yeah, "well-maintained" in some owners beliefs, is maintenance that is just as well left to the next owner!!
I always love the ads that say - "owned for XX years, always been a great vehicle, and never cost me a cent!"
I'd rather see a list of receipts showing where a heap of $$$'s HAD been spent - rather than a sales spiel that effectively says - "this thing has cost me nothing! - now YOU get to pick up the tab that I scrupulously avoided!"

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 762810

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:55

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:55
Yes Ron,
Even normal maintenance costs a small fortune, even if you do it yourself but i have to say that i have had my Patrol since new and apart from normal servicing and a set of shocks, its all original. No major problems at all and it performs perfectly. Even the 335,000km clutch is original. Having said that, I am going to change it before it lets me down although it doesn't slip or feel any different from new.. If it was a 3.0L Patrol the repair bill for the same amount of kilometres would be vastly different!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 762814

Reply By: Joshuah - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:57

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:57
Well after having the mechanic look over it, there was a few thousand that needed spending.

I made the guy an offer of $12500, which he took great offence to.

My reasoning being the direct costs, the high mileage and chequered service history.

I don't think I'll be hearing from him again...

Such is life!

Joshua.
AnswerID: 487967

Sponsored Links