100 series Landcruiser rear suspension

Hi all,
After some advise on suspension upgrade, I am usually towing an Aussie Swag or a Ski boat and have been reliant on air bags up until now. I put the vehicle through a fair test and the air bags failed. I am heading to the Cape in 10 weeks and plan on keeping the Cruiser for many more trips. My question is what is better, progressive springs or the rubber spring kit from WA? I am a little concerned with the rubbers with loosing travel on the compression side.
Does anybody have any advise on what is the best way to go? I still want to keep it comfortable to travel in without weight also?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 06:57

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 06:57
I put OME on my Troopy about 8 years ago, it still performs like they did when first installed, Noel K would back me on that , he's put OME on his LC and is as happy as Larry, although I have no idea who Larry is and neither would Noel .
But I know Larry....I mean Noel is very pleased with the ride and handling of his LC.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487481

Follow Up By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:13

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:13
Hey Col & Razza,
Yes, go the Emu's with nitro's. You will be as happy as every other Tom Dick AND... Larry who has them. Doug and I have been on some bloody rugged country and I tow 1.5 tonn camper with two Engels in the back of the cruiser.

Cheers,

Noel K.
FollowupID: 762774

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:13

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:13
Hi Col & Razza.

I have had OME on my 100 series since new. Only change I have made is to increase the rear spring capacity to ensure max ground clearance for off road.
On my second set of shocks front and rear.

regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 487485

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:56

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:56
By the look of your photo, that spring capacity shore has been increased. lol. Bob
FollowupID: 762748

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:58

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 08:58
shore? sure
FollowupID: 762749

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 10:31

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 10:31
Hi Toyocrusa.

That's actually the Nissan model.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 762760

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:28

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:28
Glad you finally woke up to yourself. LOL.
I remember your story from a few years ago with the spring mount cracking. Just stirring on a cold Sunday with not much else to do. Cheers,Bob
FollowupID: 762776

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:20

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 09:20
Had the same problem with our 200 series, the difference is our 200 series has a 3800Kg GVM upgrade....... our 200 series has been set up for remote touring, all the back seats have been removed and the back has been racked out.

We have a spare wheel carrier on the rear and a 180lt aux tank...... The landcruiser site pretty flat when loaded but chuck the camper on and it drops about 10 to 15mm.

When we designed our rear racking we calculated weights and balanced the weight out to help load share over the front and rear axles, all the heavy stuff like fridge, water tank and the 3 x 120amp AGM battery's are in the centre of the vehicle and down low.

The main concern is you can feel the weight transfer when travelling at high speed...... it'snot dangerous or unstable.

We had a look at airbags but I'm not a big fan of them and they do limit articulation....... our landcruiser has KDSS suspension so the articulation is worse when airbags are fitted (KDSS give about 4 to 5 inches extra wheel travel).

I spoke to the manufacturer behind our GVM upgrade and they advised me to try and not to use airbags...... they have offered to design a new set of rear coils for our application and weight.

We are trying to bring the rear up another 30 to 40mm.

If you run near constant weights or you don't use it as an every day drive I would get better springs but if , but if you weights change considerately airbags may be the go.

There is no substitute for a when design suspension system....... airbags are a quick fix solution.

AnswerID: 487487

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:23

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:23
Hi Col
Here's a couple of pictures comparing two cruisers my 80 series with oldman emu 50mm lift with the highest rated springs in the rear.

And my brother inlaws 100 series with stock suspension.
The 80 is still sitting as if nothing in it. 100 sagged out lol

Both vehicles were fully loaded for the Simpson desert.
I had far more weight than the 100series as, i had 3 people in the 4wd pus a spare wheel carrier / jerry x2cans, carrier on the rear.
The 100 only 2 people less fuel less water etc.
The 100 was basicly on the bump stops and bottomed out many at time crossing the Simpson.
Never had an issue with the 80.
My brother inlaw has now upgraded to ome front torsion bars and spring,
the rear springs are basicly the same as 80 series,
He did have air bags for a while but they didn't last.
From memory ome make three types, standard, medium ,heavy duty.

Go for the heavy duty in the rear. i like the ride in my 80 and compared to many other vehicles cars 4wd etc,i have driven it is hard to beat.

Rob

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487497

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:47

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 12:47
Hi. This 200 is my Brother's 07 Sahara and has also had the GVM upgrade. It has a 70L Aux fuel tank, Rear draw set, 60L Waeco plus a heap of tools and travelling stuff in the draws. (They live in it and travel full time.) The van towball down load is around 390kg. We fitted Firestone airbags that he runs at 25lb when hooked up and 10lb unhooked. As you can see it sits quite well with no sag and the airbags have done over 70,000 K over some rough country without any signs of a problem. Cheers, Bob.

Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 487506

Reply By: Col & Razza - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 20:41

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 20:41
Thanks for all of the info, I probably should have added a little more info on the weight carried.
In the back of the Cruiser I have a set of draws, tools and spare brick a brack. I also carry a 110L Waeco we use as a freezer ( all of those fish we catch you know) and will have dual tyre carriers on it in the future. I have never measured the tow ball weight but the Aussie carries 4 jerry's, 2 gas bottles and a 15hp boat engine on the draw bar.

I think the best thing to do now would be to measure some weights and talk to some suspension outlets and see what is on offer. I haven't heard of any reports on the rubber spring kit as of yet??

Thanks again for the info!
AnswerID: 487545

Sponsored Links