Cape York in August

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 10:27
ThreadID: 95987 Views:1834 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to cape York in early August with my Carry Me Camper
What is the process regarding booking camp sites ?
I believe that booking is necessary as August will be pretty busy
I assume places like Weipa and up the top need to be booked
Other than those places can we just rely on bush camping ?
Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:15

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:15
Hi Mark. I did Cape York in July/August 2009 and had no problems with just dropping in at camp sites all the way up.

Laura, behind the hotel
Charles Mine, South of Coen, gold coin donation.
Weipa, a bit busy with fishermen
Archer River, plenty of room although there where road worker camped there
Seisia, Charity Beach nice and quite

Only down side was that the XXXX was $6.00 a bottle at Bamaga Hotel

Enjoy the trip.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487494

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:16

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:16
Hi Mark. Not sure about Weipa but if you are planning on camping in any of the National Parks up there, you will need to book on line or over the phone BEFORE you get there. There are no facilities now for self registration. You will be allocated an individual site for your stay and print off your camp permit which you will need to display when you get there. Visit the www.derm.gov.au/parks website for all the info. Makes it hard due to the variables in travel times up there but unfortunately we have no choice. I have booked for July and Aug and just hope it all works out.

Cheers,

Mike

AnswerID: 487495

Reply By: wjh41 - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 16:59

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 16:59
Hello Mark,keep your eye open for a red patrol ute and a white patrol ute,we are going up in august and are not organised enough to book any where,see you in jail.Wally
AnswerID: 487519

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 17:38

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 17:38
Yep what others have said - you need to pre book all NP campsites. I've just been through this exercise for our August trip up there and it is pretty painless really. Only thing is that i hope that others don't move in and take possession before we arrive :-). Re Weipa- there is only the one authorised campground and that is almost right in town. Good park but can get a bit crowded. Also you can't pre-book so it can be a bit hit and miss on the site you get. Whatever you do avoid the big tree near the ablutions block the flying foxes can leave your tent in a bit of a mess.
AnswerID: 487522

Reply By: Member - John N (SA) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:58

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 19:58
G'day Mark, looks like a few of us heading up there in August. I've just been through the process of booking NP sites for our party - quite painless in the end. I hope we can keep to schedule though as there is no flexibility if we get held up for a day or so. One of our party wanted a powered site at Weipa and the lady there suggested we book one as they are expecting many visitors this season - no bookings for un-powered.

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 487541

Sponsored Links