gibb river on gas

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 17:13
ThreadID: 95997 Views:2208 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
planing a trip to the kimberlys/gibb river rd i have a gq duel feul and after some info on gas availibilty in the area i have found some info on fuel locator sites any info and advice much appreciated
when doing grr plan on carrying extra with jerry cans so the basic plan is to fill up both tanks in kunnunara with jerrys full and buy petrol when needed
any advice appreciated
stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:06

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 18:06
Mt Barnett has fuel, petrol & diesel, closed during lunch time, 12-2pm, I think. However if you have duel fuel, petrol/diesel and gas, then you will just about get to Derby unless you are towing something heavy. Cheers
AnswerID: 487525

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:28

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:28
Stuart - The only place you'll find Auto LPG in W.A.'s North, is in the major towns on the highways. This means Derby and Kununurra.
No other remote places are provided with Auto LPG, because the Auto LPG tankers stick strictly to sealed highways.
In addition, Auto LPG is delivered in different tankers to domestic LPG, because Auto LPG is a different blend to domestic LPG, it's refined to meet Govt Fuel Standards.

Be aware that LPG in these remote towns is expensive - much more expensive as compared to the price increases for petrol and diesel.
In addition, you may occasionally find that LPG isn't available because of dispensing equipment failure - and that the LPG repairman may take a couple of days to arrive and fix the dispensing problem. As a result, it pays to not have to rely on Auto LPG in the remote areas.

http://wafuelfinder.com/lpg/derby/today

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 487553

Follow Up By: tom1 - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:58

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:58
in he bush it all comes ot of the same tanker
FollowupID: 762832

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 23:59

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 23:59
Tom - So it does. You learn something new every day. Domestic LPG is 100% propane, Auto LPG is more commonly, a mixture of propane and butane.
The % levels of butane and propane in Auto LPG vary substantially from State to State. W.A. has the highest butane content in Auto LPG, at around 40% on average.
Some of the Eastern States have very little and even no butane in their Auto LPG.

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/lpg/faq.html (see 2nd last paragraph)

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 762834

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 00:16

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 00:16
I must apologise, I got my States mixed up - It's the old CRS kicking in, I shouldn't have relied on memory - and I had to go back and check the figures.
It's Victoria & S. A. that have the highest % of butane, not W.A. W.A. has the lowest butane content of all, at 2%. Here's the precise figures - not from memory, as in my last post.
The figures don't add up to 100% because of traces of other gases.

STATE - PROPANE % - BUTANE %
QLD ......... 78.4 ............ 21.6
VIC / SA ... 51.4 ............ 47.6
WA .......... 97.3 ............. 2
NSW ........ 61.4 ............ 35.4
FollowupID: 762835

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 07:24

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 07:24
Gee the WA people would be getting "shorted" at least 50kms a tank on those figures. I could really tell when I got a tank full heavy in butane because of the little bit of extra power and the extra kms for no real reason.
FollowupID: 762840

Follow Up By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:35

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:35
Mike - Someone is certainly "shorting" us, because I've noticed in the last couple of tanks of LPG, that the ute is not getting anywhere near the fuel consumption I was getting previously. I've got a 75L tank and could always get 350kms out of it around the city - but recently I've only been getting a little over 300kms. I dunno what's going on.

What with major LPG production problems at Kwinanal, leading to shortages - the hose plasticiser problems - the rocketing price - and the extra road tax being steadily added to LPG - LPG is becoming a joke.

The LPG industry is in crisis, because people are turning away from LPG in droves. It's simply cheaper to run on petrol nowadays.
The LPG installers are shutting up shop in droves, and people are even converting their forklifts back to petrol.
This is typical of what happens when we have a Govt who only pays lip service to support for the alternative fuels industry.

http://www.news.com.au/business/companies/last-rites-for-the-lpg-industry/story-fnda1bsz-1226364134999

Cheers - Ron.
FollowupID: 762852

Reply By: Member - Burra - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 22:29

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 22:29
Our 1st trip up North we used a duel LPG and Petrol vehicle. We had no major issue if you take away there is little LPG in the outback, we found it was advertised but when we got there it just was not available.

After dealing with many varied service stations we found we collected dirty fuel as most outback areas prefer and generally deal with diesel as it's major fuel; due to many reason but diesel works in the vehicle and their generators. 1 fuel only.

Next trip we brought a diesel.
AnswerID: 487650

Sponsored Links