Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:53

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 22:53
Hi Jamie,

check this link Site Link

We had to apply for permits for other parts of our trip and we included this area. I don't think you have to get one before you arrive but you do have to report into the office when you arrive.

You could contact them direct to find out. Check the link for details.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 487555

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 23:42

Sunday, Jun 03, 2012 at 23:42
No permits required for the GRR and or Kalumburu unless you want to enter the community or camp in the area. Cheers
AnswerID: 487558

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 07:05

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 07:05
We went to Kalumburu last year and got our permit on arrival. $50! The office is beside the main shop. Just drive into the town, past the caravan park and then past the mission and you will see the shop with the office building to the left.
Did not get much for the high cost and the town was a mess with rubbish everywhere.
We went and camped at McGowan's Beach, $30 a night, a fantastic spot right beside the beach. Toilets and showers provided.
I think on Tuesday the barge arrives and that is a good time to buy groceries in town. The locals also had a bit of a gathering one night in town and there was a bit of damage the next day.
The mission is well worth a visit.
Kevin
AnswerID: 487562

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 17:02

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 17:02
I phoned ahead about getting a permit to enter as was told no need, so like Kevin, purchased the visitor permit in town. We got there during the long lunch break so had quite a wait. Likewise we camped right on the beach at McGowan's and had a great time. Fishing was great fun (you can only take what you can eat whilst there - so we threw back some great catches) and they were the best fish i have ever eaten.

As also stated by Rangiephil, the morning mission tour is a must.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 762885

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:16

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:16
Just to clarify re Kalumburu.
You are supposed to advise the WA government of your intention, but AFAIK nobody does.
At Kalumburu you do not need a permit to stay in town at the Mission caravan park which we did, but you have to pay if you want to go out towards Honeymoon Bay or Mc Gowans . You pay at the office next to the community supermarket.
We stayed at the mission park which is IMHO great, and looked at the others but was unimpressed with the generator shed at Mc Gowans right next to the campers and fishermen with generators running 24/7 to freeze fish. At Honeymoon Bay the owner's teenage daughter was racing around the grounds in an 80 series with no muffler or windows for that matter. Nice people BUT!
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 487570

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:23

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 09:23
BTW, Make absolutely sure you go to the $10 history presentation by the brother , if it is still presented.
When we were there in 2010 it was being given and people were flying in from Broome just for the presentation.
I just looked at the site and it is not mentioned.
Regards Philip A

FollowupID: 762850

Sponsored Links