Brisbane to Lake Eyre

Hi All,

My wife and I are keen to see Lake Eyre while it's got plenty of water and want to travel in that direction in our 4x4 campervan sometime between now and August. Our plan is to travel from Brisbane in our campervan to wherever we have to to find a flight over lake Eyre. We're pretty new to 4X4 and campervanning but have done a trip to Melbourne and back (not off-road) to iron out any bugs. We followed that up with a 4x4 training course and then a trip to Fraser Island and Teerwah beach camping, for sand driving experience. We think we have all we need for the Lake Eyre trip but would not do it alone and would like to know if anyone (preferably with experience) would like to travel in that direction in the next couple of months.

The rig is a Toyota Land Cruiser RV with slide-on camper that has already been across the Simpson Desert a few times (with previous owners).

Any comments or advice would also be appreciated

Ian and Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Teejay - Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 19:38

Monday, Jun 04, 2012 at 19:38
Hi Wordly,

It sounds like you have prepared well so far for your trip to Lake Eyre. Be sure to check the status of the water coverage in the lake before you go as it may or may not have much water in it by August.http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html#bottom

TJ.
AnswerID: 487619

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 13:09

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 13:09
Ian and Chris

I wouldn't be too worried about getting to Lake Eyre by yourselves. It is actually not that remote and you sound like you are quite well set up.

If you cannot find anyone to go with you, then just go. It will be well worth the trip. I have driven that way quite a few times solo and have not had issues except for a couple of flats - and very cold nights!

The roads to Lake Eyre are all pretty good tracks (unless you are off track) and with the exception of the corrugations will not cause you too much trouble.

Just go!

Zook
AnswerID: 487701

Follow Up By: Member - Worldy - Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:31

Sunday, Jul 01, 2012 at 18:31
Hi Zook,

Thanks for the reply and good advice. We've taken your advice and will head off in about a0 days. Regarding cold nights - I presume campfires are allowed but do you need to carry your own wood?

Worldy
FollowupID: 765020

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 00:08

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 00:08
The best flights over Lake Eyre are from Birdsville. They cost a bit more than the ones from the other end but yo see far more. The one we did goes over Big Red, tracks down to the Warburton Creek and Warburton Cut. We then circled around the lake and back via Goyders Lagoon and Diamantina River. Whilst you are at Birdsville you are bound to find other travellers you may team up with to travel south with.

Central Eagle Aviation
http://www.birdsvilleaircharters.com.au/tours/

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487827

Sponsored Links