Toyota's win over seas

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 09:58
ThreadID: 96040 Views:2558 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Last week I flew out to Toronto via Abu Dabhi for work. When we landed at Abu Dabhi the first thing I saw out the window was.........
Image Could Not Be Found
Every vehicle I saw was a toyota.
Then I flew into Toronto and the first thing I see is.........
Image Could Not Be Found
Again, every vehicle was a toyota. I'm not starting the which car is better debate. Was just very interesting that both airports were using toyotas. Between the mines in Oz and what I saw that's a lot of yota's being sold. Even the shuttle bus at Abu Dabhi was a toyota coaster.
I then went to New Jersey and didn't notice anything except the freakin big dodge ram and surburban trucks everywhere (like hiluxes back home). Some very nice rigs on the road.
Also noticed over here there are motor homes parked in the carparks of some of the major shopping centres. They let them as they figure they will then do their shopping in the store. Not a bad idea. And I'm not talking nus etc.. I'm talking huge,massive, ginormous rigs with every bell and whistle on it.
Oh to dream........

Josh

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 10:25

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 10:25
Josh,

I live in New Jersey, you should have let me know you were coming. Yes it is the land of Ram's, Silverardo and F250's, not to mention Toyota Tundra's.

Here a RAM 1500 or Silverardo 1500 is just $21.000 in New Jersey. A landcruiser is $77.000. You almost never see a landcruiser.

Black Jeeps are the most popular 4x4 vehcile at my shopping centre. How did you like New Jersey? It is very pretty this time of year (depending upon what part). Where about did you visit?
AnswerID: 487686

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 10:38

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 10:38
Hi Graham, I'm still in New Jersey. I'm in Manalapan. Tomorrow I'm free most the day then pretty busy during the day till Sat when I fly home. Nights not to bad at the moment. Not sure where you are or how close to Manalapan but would love to catch up if your free. You can email me on kidsandall@yahoo.com.au.
I'm drooling over the cars and the prices. I went to my first ever baseball game the other night. Man those guys can throw a ball.

Josh
FollowupID: 762942

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:49

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:49
Hi Josh,

You are quite a distance from me. I am in Mahwah which is about 1 kilometer from the NY border in Northern NJ.

I have not been where you are but will do some looking up. Have to see how things go but I will talk to th wife and see if I can borrow her car. My truck is broken down at the moment and I am waiting for parts which were due yesterday.

Would love to catch up however. Are you flying out of JFK or Newark?

What brings you to that part of NJ?

Cannot get you on that email you gave. My cell number is 1201-749-0231 just shoot me a text.
FollowupID: 763000

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 22:42
Sorry Graham, there is no dot on the end. kidsandall@yahoo.com.au
I head to JFK on sat. I'm here with work. Our head office is in Manalapan NJ. I'm here looking at a new product we are launching soon in OZ. Having a look at how they do it over here. 2 weeks in NJ paid for by them, I'm happy.

Josh
FollowupID: 763007

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:43

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:43
HI Graham,

Do you have any knowledge of the latest model Silverado?
(locally is it considered better than Dodge Ram or F250 for example?)
I am in Australia but am "toying" with the idea of buying a new one in USA, touring around USA for a few months, then shipping it back to Australia and getting converted to RHD and Australian compliance.
Would you happen to be aware of anyone who has done that.
The Chev dealer in NJ (Hawthorne Chev) was actually recommended to me as a good dealership to buy through.
Any thoughts or comments or contacts would be appreciated.
Cheers

PS I may put up a separate thread on this question in due course.

FollowupID: 763035

Follow Up By: Jeff P - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:58

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:58
Hi Wamuranman If I was you I would checkout about what you want to do I think you have to own it for 12 months before you are able to bring it back into the country alot of hassle Ive been down this road and just ended buying a new one in Australia already converted as for the trucks chevy chevy chevy they claim the new ford has a better interior but that is google king of the mountain( Diesel Power mag) and you will see why the silverado is king !
Jeff
FollowupID: 763040

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 15:22
Thanks Jeff.
From my preliminary reading I like the chev - I am talking about the 6.6litre V8 diesel one with Allison transmission. Engine is built by Isuzu and Allison truck transmission has to be good.
I am not sure you have to own it for 12 months if it is not sold new in Australia by an authorised Chev dealer. They are iimported by some groups who convert them but I understand they are not authorised Chev dealers (I think they just buy them retail from dealers in USA - not from Chev factory direct). Also the Silverado is on the Commonwealth Govt list of permitted vehicle imports.

Anyway I am just researching the possibilities at present. Would not happen until next year if it does happen. I know there would be a lot of red tape but an import agent would deal with most of that. Even if it worked out no cheaper at least we get a USA holiday out of it. I like a challenge anyhow...lol
Cheers
Glen
FollowupID: 763045

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:35

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:35
Hi Wamuranman,

Shoot me a email to carlsp1000@gmail.com and I will have some look arounds for you.

Are you thinking of a Silverardo 2500, or a 1500.
Are you looking for one with a 8ft bed / tub ( 2500mm)
Are you looking at 2 door of 4 door.
I assume diesel?
Have you looked at Tundra. The reason I say this as Toyota are so big in Australia. It has a 5.7 petrol but not certain about the diesel engine. It is the same size as the other 3.

If you are looking at a 1500 model I would get a RAM 1500 over Chev or Ford. I have a E250 here and love it (this is the van version of the F250)

Have you spoke to the guys in Gympie yet. Not certain of their name but they are or will be importing RAM, Tundra, F250 and Silverardo and converting to RHD.

Do not know anything specific about importing to Australia. Try this link:

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/features.html

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/vehicle-tour.html

FollowupID: 763079

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:13
Hi Josh,
Years ago they used to talk about a world car, well I guess Toyota fill the bill as they can be found in nearly every country on earth I guess.

I've never been out of Australia but every where youi look you see them.
Good machines too.

Camping in parking lots at shopping centres was one of the things which intrigued the brother when he went to the US to buy his second hand motorhome about 6 or 7 years ago.

They had a months holiday in the motor home before taking it to California to have it shipped back to Australia.

He said they stopped in a carpark one night because he was too tired to keep driving and he said when he opened the door of the motorhome the next morning people were lined up outside expecting a cup of coffee. They were homeless people. Apparently they have a converted motorhome as a meals on wheels wagon of sorts to help the homeless.

Brother felt that sorry for them he gave them some money to go buy a cup of coffee. Though from what he says, it is dificult to get a decent cup of coffee in the US, well the places he went anyway, and as far as a cup of tea goes, his wife said forget it. She is a cook.

Think the camping in carparks is a good idea but I cannot see it catching on here as you would not want to camp in some of the town carparks around here where I live, too dangerous.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487690

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 13:22

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 13:22
Yeah I agree about the coffee, I'm hanging to get back home and have a decent one.
I can't see the parking in carparks taking off in oz either. We don't think big picture enough. And none of the motorhomes here would fit in our carparks lol.

Josh
FollowupID: 762959

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 14:17

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 14:17
Yeah, we have a job turning a comodore around in some of our carparks.

They think we still drive 1948 Ford Prefects.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 762963

Reply By: SDG - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:46
Last christmas I met a bloke in a small motorhome. He was travelling for the weekend.
During the week he works in Sydney. He parks his home in the carpark near his work. Apparently security locks the gates around ten, so as long as he is in his home by then, he has a bed for the night.
AnswerID: 487758

Follow Up By: Member - Josh- Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 22:46
Friends of ours did the big lap on motorbikes. They would find a carpark that locks up at night and just before they locked it for the night they would go in and park in the corner. After it was locked they would roll out the swags and set up camp. Safe and sound. They were packed up for it to open in the morning.
A couple of places they got caught but they didn't seem to care. It is quite a clever way to do it.

Josh
FollowupID: 763009

Sponsored Links