South Lake Eyre is it full?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 18:38
ThreadID: 96051 Views:2820 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all fellow travellers! :) I will be travelling between Marla and William Creek in approximately 3 weeks time. Does anyone know if South Lake Eyre currently filled with water? and is it visible from places along the Oodnadatta track? Does anyone have any first hand reports of current road conditions out that way? It will certainly be special to witness such an event!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - moparcm - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 19:31
i was there about 7 weeks ago and the lake was nearly full. there is a parking bay/lookout on the oodnadatta track. the track was in good condition than.
is definatley a once in a lifetime thing to see you wont be dissapointed.
AnswerID: 487740

Reply By: Teejay - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 19:31
Hi Busmonk,

Lake Eyre South was full a couple of months ago. Since then it has been drying up.. Going by the info from the lake eyre yacht club site you will most likely be able to see some water from the viewing area on the Oodnadatta Track.

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Flinders_Ranges_Outback/Lake_Eyre_National_Park/Current_status_2012

Have a great trip.

TJ.

AnswerID: 487741

Reply By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 20:58

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 20:58
Hello Bushmonk.

I was there last week and the South Lake is almost full.

Cheers Vern
AnswerID: 487752

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:59

Tuesday, Jun 05, 2012 at 21:59
Hi Bushmonk.
Like the others have already said, you will definitely see Lake Eyre full from the Oodnadatta track. We were there about 4 weeks ago.
As for the track, it's in great shape!
A few corrugations from Coward Springs to William Creek - nothing too bad though.
We continued on to Oodnadatta, but people told me the road from William Creek to Cober Pedy was like a highway.
The young fella behind the bar in the WC Hotel said he was doing 110km/h on it.
I recommend the campsite at Coward Springs. But make sure you start gathering firewood early (around Leigh Creek - Marree). There's not much in the way of wood up around Lake Eyre / William Creek.
Enjoy the trip - we did!
Cheeky1
AnswerID: 487760

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:10

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 01:10
hi bushmonk The wife and I have just arrived home from there and what an experience the. South lake eyre was full and the road conditions were very good, we towed our 23ft Roadstar up the Oodnadatta track, and had no problems at all the roadstar is a 1996 normal van. I have some great photo's of the sun rising over the lake and when I get to write a blog I shall post them too. collect your fire wood as it is very cold out there of an evening. fun and enjoy and do a flight over the lake we found it most rewarding.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487828

Reply By: bushmonk - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:42

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 07:42
Great to have a response from you all and thanks for some extra little tips :) I think I'm even more excited than ever before now! YEW! :)
AnswerID: 487830

Sponsored Links