Darling River Run

We’re contemplating a driving trip following the Darling. Our thinking is that, following the flooding rains, the river should be more voluminous than we’ve seen it in recent times – e.g. our visit to Menindee several years ago presented a sad situation. Would this be so, or have all the waters moved on? If we do go, when would be the best time?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:23

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:23
Hi Bev. After being out that way in April I think it will be a long time after this before you will see it any better. Menindee area lakes 90 to 110 % full. Most rivers and creeks I saw flowing at least 70% full. The country side has never looked better. The down side was (if it is one)the wild life love it so you need to drive to accomodate them as they are pretty proficient. You will love it. Cheers,Bob.

AnswerID: 487776

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:21
Hi Bob,

Just a tongue-in cheek comment.

What are the wildlife proficient at? Hitting vehicles? Or avoiding them? :-)

I presume you really meant "prolific" - i.e. lots of them around?

Still, I guess if there are a lot of animals around, one might lead to the other - those not so proficient could learn from those that are! :-)

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 763038

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:41

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 06:41
Hi Bev,

still plenty of water around.
Menindee is looking better than it has for years. Be prepared for the mozzies though.
It would pay to check the RTA website RTA live traffic. This has links for contacts to check local road conditions. I was reading it this morning and there are roads closed due to flooding at the moment.

Have fun,
Steve
AnswerID: 487777

Follow Up By: tojofixa - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 22:35

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 22:35
The road from Pooncarie to Menindee was still closed three weeks ago due to flood damage.
Cheers, Derek
FollowupID: 763072

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 20:07
Might be best to leave it till spring. Most of the roads along the river are still closed owing to flooding. It takes a long time for the water to pass down that river.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487889

Sponsored Links