Caravan trip geraldton to pt hedland

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 00:14
ThreadID: 96055 Views:1825 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, I'm about to head off on a trip from Leinster w.a to geraldton and head towards port hedland! I am after any awesome places to see, visit/camp along the way? I realise there are the main attractions but was after any cool or interesting spots that people have found along this way? I will be travelling along the coast road!
Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: lucabair - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:44

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:44
Hi Just wondering what leinster is like for accommodation will be passing through soon on to newman
AnswerID: 487788

Reply By: jacent - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 21:13
There is a caravan park to put your own van ir whatever but has no rooms or anything, it doesn't have an onsite care taker either, but it has transportable type toilets/showers but reasonably clean!
If you needed supplied accom then there is only one option in town and that is called the Lodge, which is donga style accom, around the $120 mark per night.
You would be best booking in advance as the rooms regularly get filled by mining contractors.. You book through the Leinster Tavern 90379556 they are open from 12 pm til around ten at night.
I havent personally seen inside the rooms but have heard they are nothing special, just bed, tv ensuite etc! for meals you can go to the food mess, it is a buffet style and costs $12 bucks each which is cheap I think.. I eat there occasionally food is usually not too bad either!
Not sure if you already know but a short cut to newman is via wiluna up through neds creek road,. It is unsealed but quite good last time I drove it. Cuts off around 200 km off the trip to newman. Wild flowers are starting to come out here too!
AnswerID: 487819

Follow Up By: lucabair - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 07:33

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 07:33
Thanks for the follow up, have no van just 4x4, what about leorna south or meekartha $120 buys a lot of diesel may use tent only wife and i travelling from SA sounds like your from that area
FollowupID: 763127

Reply By: jacent - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:06
Hi, yes I live in Leinster, not much between kalgoorlie and leinster, mostly truck stops, there is a caravan park in menzies and leonora. I see alot of people that just find a clearing on side of the road and park there. You could call into leinster for hot showers, just roll up the the caravan park and go for it. If you have a tent maybe Leinster CP would be best as it is cheap, showers, toilets, walking distance to pub, supermarket, servo etc very safe! cant comment on meeka as I have never had a desire to go there! about 120 km from leinster heading towards sandstone there is a camp spot that has a brown square sign with a pic of a camera on it, thats a nice spot, it is positioned on top of breakaways with a nice view. Its free and every time i go past on the way to geraldton there is usually two or three campers in there
AnswerID: 488528

Follow Up By: jacent - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:13

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:13
BTW if it has had decent rain here everything turns to deep mud, dont pull off onto any unsealed surface even if you think it looks ok unless it is a dedicated road, at work a guy got our shift 4x4 bogged down to the axles, so they got the cat loader to drag it out and that went down to the counter weight, so next was the backhoe, that got bogged but they managed to drag it out using the backhoe bucket then snatched the loader out after digging it out, and finally used the backhoe to skull drag the ute out!
FollowupID: 763676

Follow Up By: lucabair - Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:42

Monday, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:42
Hi, thanks for the info, never been to WA, going to visit son who lives in Newman, could you tell me the safest route, thinking about from kalgoorlie to leinster from which i see you mentioned sandstone is this a dirt track to mt magnet then head up or go wiluna then up could i make this trip in one day what do you think
FollowupID: 763942

Sponsored Links