Cape Leveque WA

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 10:38
ThreadID: 96059 Views:2917 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hellow everyone, Has any one been to CL north of broome towing a van? Any ideas on site seeing 4x4 driving this area. We are in Broome. Thanks Guys JOHNO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:03
Better check with the Kooljaman bush camp at Cape Leveque - they allow tents, camper trailers and campervans. No caravans.
AnswerID: 487783

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:38

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 12:38
Hi johno,

I was there last yr and Dennis is right, NO CARAVANS allowed. You might get it up the road but they have 3 very high speed humps going in and a van would not get over them. Plus the sites are limited and booking is usually required. You could leave the caravan at Broome or check with the tourist office of other places closer to Cape Leveque & drive in, they welcome visitors that are there for the day. It is a beautiful place and a must see destination, I will be one that will return.

Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 763033

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:31

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:31
While up there 3 years back with our camper, we saw quite a few caravans at Middle Lagoon - none were so called 'true offroad vans' - meaning that if due care is taken on what can be a very corrugated road, vans can survive up there (but preparation for the shaking would need to be made with regard to contents - and reduce tyre pressures etc / take it very easy etc.). We only went as far as middle lagoon (a truly wonderful place :-o)...... as I recall, the road is much better above the ML turnoff (sealed mostly) - check the Treks and Blogs pages here. There have been posts on this in the past - a search might bring them up.
AnswerID: 487786

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:52

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:52
We took our off road camper up there last year and the only places we saw caravans were at Quondong Point and as previously stated, Middle Lagoon. Mind you the track into Middle Lagoon was not the best, so it will depend on your caravan and you. (We came across one family towing a standard camper trailer where the springs had disintegrated on the track.) The below photo is into Middle lagoon and is typical of the tracks into some of the camping grounds. But the Dampier Peninsular is a fantastic place, we spent 9 days up there and will be back!
Kevin

AnswerID: 487797

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:54
Middle Lagoon is quite popular with caravans.

Road is bitumen north of Beagle Bay.

The Cape is guarded private resort.

I think the the Cape is over rated.

Suggest just a day drive to Beagle Bay and look at the church if that is your thing.

Possible to go to the Cape and check out pearl farms etc as a day drive.

Alan
AnswerID: 487798

Follow Up By: johno59 - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:23

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 19:23
Thanks evryone, I think we will drive 4 x4 for a day and return to Broome johno
FollowupID: 763053

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 16:47

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 16:47
Hi johno 59,
Around 2001, we went to C.L. It was lovely. At the time it said no towing so we booked in early (at least a month before, for 1 night of luxury in a safari tent cabin. The rest of the time was in our Oz tent.
We did day trips from there, went to Lombadina, a worth while side trip. some communities on the other side of the Peninsular are closed communities. Don't go.

We were led to believe that you could swim at C.L & did! When we went to Lombadina, we asked the wonderful bloke there . Why we couldn't swim there at Lombadina but we can at C.L Oh, he said Crocs, don't have take a -ways up there! Smiling.
Can't remember if you can swim at Middle Lagoon. We didn't stay , just called in for a walk & to have a paddle we were at the end of our Holidays.
Ring Middle Lagoon.

It's been many years & things may have changed but the road was shaped like a wide U from past grading. We stopped to see if a couple needed help as they'd
flipped the car & trailer. when at the start of the track had warnings about speed & no trailers! They had to get help from Broome & others were going to get the help when they got to Broome.
smack in the middle of the road for quite some time.

As has been advised, do your homework, ask at Broom & ring Kooljarmin before leaving,Broom, conditions can change overnight. Ask the Rangers re swimming or anything you need to know.

When we went paddling at Lombardina A baby shark came up to hubby in knee deep water.
Don't miss it ,Our trip will always go in history as one of the nicest. Just drive to conditions & obey the signs. Don't go into closed communities . particularly on the other side of the Peninsular.
Take care, safe travels. Ma
AnswerID: 487807

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 22:52

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 22:52
Been to Middle Lagoon a few times with camper trailer and my daughter and family have been in with a large caravan with no trouble.I would advise staying at Middle Lagoon(nicer place to stay) and doing a day trip to Cape Levique.As said the road from Middle Lagoon to CL is nearly all sealed.We all swam at Middle Lagoon.Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 487824

Sponsored Links