Gas Struts - Alternative method of removing, and replacing yourself

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 13:08
ThreadID: 96064 Views:2307 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Had to replace the OEM gas struts under the bonnet of the JEEP after 7 years and didn't even bother going to JEEP as they usually have to order such items from a central Store, and on arrival cost $SSSSSS's. So! I decided to get the old ones regassed.

On checking the net and yellow pages for re-gassing services I spotted a mobile dude who services the South Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne and gave him a ring.

Short Story - Marginally dearer ( few dollars) to replace OEM's with new ones and if he did re-gas the OEM's, he wouldn't/couldn't guarantee how long they would last as they were basically throw aways designed to last approx 3-4 years with seals in same at a commensurate quality level.

Anyway he arrived 40 mins after initial contact, removed old struts, selected new struts from the huge stock he carried, gassed up the new ones to the specs he said was needed for the JEEP bonnet and fitted same.

Bonnet now works perfectly and he asked if I wanted more gas in them to make the bonnet go up faster, which I declined.

During all of the above I established that he cruises the Sth Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne daily servicing the myriad of auto mechanics etc and private jobs like myself and is kept flat chat all day.

He also services and installs bigger/better strut solutions for all types of applications that require or would be better off with gas struts other than the auto industry.

The total cost was $130-00 fitted and gassed up to working specs.

Time taken - 10mins plus 5 mins to conduct electronic Credit Card payment and receipt documentation.

Regards

DD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jun 06, 2012 at 20:09
Gday
He is a nice bloke , goes to the same church as my brother.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487816

Sponsored Links