re sealing pop top

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 07, 2012 at 20:54
ThreadID: 96099 Views:4484 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hello everyone
We have purchased a 1988 viscount aero light pop top recently, whilst we thought it was a lovely van and a great buy, we were screwed over, I guess its buyer beware and we certainly found out that "lovely country people" arent always what they seem. The chasis was broken and disguised by a bigger wheel on one side. We googled and came up with this sight, and the helpful threads gave us a myriad of ideas for repair. Thankfully Tony is a mechanic with experience with truck and trailer chasis so he has repaired it but now with the rain we have discovered a badly leaking roof.
Does anyone have any tips, we thought we would reseal then paint again with the special membrane paint. We would appreciate some ideas of products from anyone that has done this. also there is a little chimney from the rangehood we think it leaks around that too.
Looking for war to hearing from you.
Regards Judes and Bazz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 06:33

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 06:33
Hi. If you do a search on the Caravaners Forum. I know this subject has come up as recently as last year. Especially the broken chasis repair. Hope it can be of help to you. If not it is free to join and you can ask there. There are some very knowledgeble people on there including caravan repairers. Cheers,Bob.
Caravaners Forum

AnswerID: 487909

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:00

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:00
Thanks Bob for your help we will do that. have a great day
Cheers

Judes and Bazz
FollowupID: 763189

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:07

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:07
Hi Judes & Bazz,
I only said to hubby, last night whilst we've been looking for a second hand pop top for ourselves for months & a second hand 4x4 for a young bloke without much money.
After hearing about some of the disasters from other sites. I said, I don't think anyone on E.O. would knowingly advertise a dud without telling you the truth . Maybe you have a situation where the children were selling their elderly parents van & truly didn't know wherever you got it from. So sorry, I can't give any advice but to ring a very reliable caravan repairer. Both this Forum & the caravaner's Forum would know a good one. I know Google is my friend but word of mouth compares & gives you the best.
We need a good canvas door repairer for our tent either Warrnambool or Geelong so am interested in what this post turns up.
Thanks for reminding me of the worries of buying second hand, sometimes.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now & good luck,Ma .
AnswerID: 487937

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:59

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 18:59
Thanks Pa,Ma&Gus,
We didnt buy it from an advertisement on this forum, it was brought privately I have just come on here for some help regarding the repairs. We knew that it was buyer beware when you buy second hand, but I guess you hope that you can believe what the seller says. We are committed now so our aim is to have a safe and comfortable van to have that holiday we have planned for such a long time.
Thanks for you advice.
FollowupID: 763188

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:08

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:08
Sorry Pa,Ma&Gus
Forgot to sign the above post.
Thanks again form your help.
Regards Judes and Bazz
FollowupID: 763192

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 11:52

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 11:52
Hi Judes & Bazz,
Hoping this finds you well.
I realised you didn't get it from E.O. Don't worry about not signing your post.
As I was hoping the answers you got have helped me so thanks to you for posting & a big thanks to those who answered.Hoping you're able to get it fixed properly & enjoy your holiday.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
FollowupID: 763219

Reply By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:37

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:37
hi judes and bazz
sikaflex-pro is a very good product and drys slowly but is flexible and wont crack and fall out
i have used it on caravan joints and around windows on 3 caravans and fibreglass cabs several times etc and it is a great product for joints in fact i have just sealed around my utes 15yr old tourertop cab windows at the weekend
availuble from bunnings or hardware stores cut the nozzle at a 45 degree angle so as a bead of about 5mm will oze out keep the pressure steady as you move the nozzle along the joint it requires a steady hand and constant steady pressure
releash the gun pressure lock as soon as you have run a bead to stop the flow

apply a good bead then wet a finger of your choice and lighty drag your finger along the fresh bead to finish it to a smooth and neat bead
which also insures the sikaflex is lightly forced into the joint
if you havent used it before have a small trial on something and have a pack of tissues handy to wipe your fingers
as you apply and smooth it
dont wait too long before you smooth it as it will start to skin and will then drag instead of smoothing under the finger it is also paintable
and dont try and go back over it a second time once it has started to get tacky or you will stuff it up
hope this is helpful cheers
barry
AnswerID: 487963

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:04

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:04
Thank you Barry,
Your instructions are great and easy to follow. Will let you know how we went.
Appreciate all your help
Regards Judes and Bazz
FollowupID: 763190

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:57

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:57
I second this as I have resealed two leaky vans with sikaflex, comes in all different colours too. make sure you seal every single joint as it usually isn't obvious where the leak is on top of the roof! using sikaflex you dont need to use the pant over the top!
FollowupID: 763631

Follow Up By: jacent - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:59

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 18:59
( paint) ha but you could glue pants if you want ha ha
FollowupID: 763632

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:43

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 18:43
Thankyou to everyone for their help and tips, you are all amazing to a couple of novices like our selves.
Update;- Chassis all repaired and much stronger than when it was first manufactured Bazz tells me.
Checked Pop top for bowing and thankfully it was all level.
Resealing done with sikaflex.
Painted with a membrane paint.
But....we still have a leak,. The kitchen is across the front of the caravan and the wall and bench top under the window at front of caravan was still wet after the rain last night. The little vent/chimney from rangehood has been resealed.
Should we remove the sealer from along the top of the window and reseal there if so should we use the same sikaflex.
looking forward to your replies.
judes and Bazz
FollowupID: 763722

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 21:58

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 21:58
hi judes and bazz
yes that is the best thing to do get rid of all or as much of old sealant along the top and all aroundwindow frame and reseal using sikaflex-pro and do any where else that looks sus then you should have a trouble free holiday in respect to leaks
it can also be used underneath if dust is getting in around hoses /pipes electric cables etc enjoy your travels
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 763747

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 17:28

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 17:28
Judes and Bazz,

If the top has sagged as most pop tops do with time & water puddles and then leaks To get a reasonably permanent seal You will need to fix the sag first.
There are many variables in the roof construction and each will have a different remedy. Suggest You talk to a caravan repairer if someone handy to You. They may be able to offer advise to get a fall back into the roof.
If there is a sag in the roof resaling without fixing the sag will not last.
Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 487968

Follow Up By: Judes and Bazz - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:06

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 19:06
Thank you Mike,
Hadnt looked at that but will definately check it out.
Much appreciated.
Regards Judes and Bazz
FollowupID: 763191

Sponsored Links