Tracking device for Caravan

Submitted: Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 11:56
ThreadID: 96113 Views:7968 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested to hear if anyone has any information about tracking devices that can be fitted to a caravan. The reason is to be able to track the caravan if it is stolen. I have looked on the internet and there are so many who knows what is worth purchasing.
Ralph and Anne C (NSW)

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:09

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:09
You could try Telematics CarCom Satellite Tracker. It will give you a position within one meter of the items that have been stolen. It can be tracked by the base station and they will inform the police of it position. Not cheap as you buy the unit and then it is eighty cents a day to monitor the item.

I have no affiliation, only a user.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 487938

Reply By: Member - Ralph & Anne C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:32

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:32
Thanks for the info, will check them out.

Ralph
Ralph and Anne C (NSW)

AnswerID: 487942

Reply By: Roughasguts - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:49

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:49
You know you could probably do it a whole lot cheaper by using an Apple App.

If you have a Ipad/ ipod iphone with 3G or Wi Fi you can hide that in your van. hooked up to battery back up if you like.

Then use the Apple App find my ipod! and it will locate your ipod on a google map within a few seconds.

I do this to locate my kids and there ipods from time to time works well.
and cost nothing to use.

Cheers
AnswerID: 487945

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph & Anne C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:04

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:04
Thanks Roughasguts I don't have an Ipad/ ipod iphone but love the idea about tracking the kids.

I wonder if it would work with a sat phone as I am looking to purchase one.

Ralph
Ralph and Anne C (NSW)

FollowupID: 763151

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:42

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 23:42
if thats the case use EOTrackme!
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763208

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:30

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 13:30
Ralph & Anne - I haven't come across any cheap tracking systems yet. They all rely on human monitoring and tracking, and you have to pay for that.

In addition, the current tracking systems are full of flaws. They lose tracked items when they go inside steel-walled seatainers or concrete walled buildings. Many of the tracking companies are poorly run.
Read up on the South Africans experiences with tracking operations. Not too many of their systems are really effective, and they're all costly.

Put simply, the monthly cost of comprehensive insurance is still generally less than the monthly cost of paying a tracking company, who may or may not be able to find your item.

Professional thieves are very aware of tracking devices and how they work, and go looking for them, so they can disable and/or remove them. You need to power tracking devices, so that means little batteries that go flat, or wiring that can be traced, or big, easily seen batteries, that can be disconnected/removed.

Someone, somewhere, has to come up with a good cheap tracking system, but it doesn't exist yet. It needs to be small, it needs to have low power requirements so it can be powered by a small battery for a long time - and it needs to have simple tracking software that you can monitor yourself.

There is only system at present that may offer you a cheap solution. Google "APRS in Australia" and see if that could work for you.
APRS is an amateur radio network with a detection/tracking system that some people have used to track stolen items.
The system has great potential because it's run by amateurs, is worldwide, and doesn't required a dedicated employee of a tracking company to sit in front of a screen 24/7.
However, it still requires a powered radio-signal-producing source that thieves can find and disable.

Anyone who comes up with a good cheap, difficult to disable, relatively foolproof system will be on a winner. I can recall being in a fibreglass boat builder/repairers factory many years ago, and the walls of his (large) office were lined with pics of many stunning-looking boats (and many of them, very large boats, too).

I asked him if they were pics of his repairs or builds, and he grimly remarked - "No. Every one of those boats is stolen, and the Police send me pics virtually every week, of stolen craft, so I can alert them if they show up here. Very few are ever recovered. If you go boating with someone, do you ask if his boat is stolen??"

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 487952

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:01

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:01
Have a look at the GPS trackers on this link below

http://www.chinavasion.com/gps-sat-nav/

I dont see why one of these strategicaly placed on the roof and wired out of site wouldnt work quite well. Placed in the center of the roof how many people get up there looking?.......it just might go unnoticied for a considerable time or forever.

Admittedly it needs a mobile phone signal to work but the "new owner" of your prized possession would on the law of averages be travelling in a signal area eventually one would hope!

Cheap enough to run on a long life pre paid SIM.....I have been giving it serious thought myself about doing just that

By the way I have pruchased a GPS (windscreen mount) from that site link and the postage is very prompt and the item working a treat

be interesting on other comments of my suggestion above.
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 487958

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph & Anne C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:27

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:27
Thanks Bungarra,
Just had a reply from Bruce that Jaycar have one for $150, if OK roof mounting would be a good idea.

Ralph
Ralph and Anne C (NSW)

FollowupID: 763177

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:19

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 15:19
Hi Ralph and Anne,

I just got the latest catelogue from Jaycar and they have a device in it for $149.
With this device, they say, you can keep track of your car, truck or boat, or it could do the same for a caravan I would suggest.

It says
"Locate and track the whereabouts of your vehicle in real time via a computer or on a smart phone. The device is easy to install with only 2 to 4 wires to connect."

"Insert a GSM SIM card (not included) and hide the device away. It works by sending the vehicles GPS coordinates via the GSM network to the free online tracking service, which shows the location on Google Maps."

Could be the device you are looking for.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 487961

Follow Up By: Member - Ralph & Anne C (NSW) - Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:23

Friday, Jun 08, 2012 at 16:23
Thanks Bruce,
I will check it out at Jaycar , should be able to mount it on the roof of the van.

Ralph
Ralph and Anne C (NSW)

FollowupID: 763176

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:11

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:11
The GPS Tracker that Jaycar sells is sold on Ebay for $ 60, comes with a hard wire kit to keep it charged. i think its the most simple and cheap option with a prepay Telstra Next SIM. MichaelImage Could Not Be Found
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 488057

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:15

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:15
There are 2 models, the TK 102B has a bigger built in memory than the TK102, some sellers come with a hard wire kit, some without.. Takes a prepay sim and communicates via SMS, fairly simple and cheap if your vehicle or van/ camper goes missing. Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 763270

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:41

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 23:41
A friend just bought one from Jaycar that you put a sim card in. Don't have any more details but may be worth looking in to.
AnswerID: 488059

Sponsored Links