Kennedy development road Lynd to Hughenden

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 16:43
ThreadID: 96135 Views:3816 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys

Planning to head from Cairns to Hughenden through the Lynd then along the Kennedy Development Road to Porcupine Gorge over the school holidays and wondering about road conditions, in particular about road works, river heights and corrugations.
Has anyone travelled this road recently and able to give an update.
Any info would be great.
Regards
Joel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 20:00

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 20:00
Joel,
I used to live 60km north of the Lynd Junction years ago. I haven't been down that road for years so I can't help with road conditions but I would suggest you ring them up at the junction and they will help, also it is a must to stop and have a beer at the junction as it has the smallest bar in the world. (or it used to be, still worth a photo or two)
Cheers Mick
AnswerID: 488043

Follow Up By: Joel_B - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 21:41

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 21:41
Hey Mick,

Thanks for the advice I might just do that.
As for stopping at the Lynd that was a given, in fact that will be our lunch stop.
Cheers
Joel
FollowupID: 763263

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 08:33

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 08:33
Joel,

I haven't been along there for a couple of years either, but went along there 3 times, back in 2010, and they were doing a lot of work, in different places.

Past a road train carting lick, and he said the road was a bit worse than usual, because of all the extra trucks on it, at that time. Those hills south of Lyndhurst would be the worst, and even there the corros aren't too bad.

Would suggest the graders may have been on it, by this time of the year.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 763277

Follow Up By: Joel_B - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:51

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:51
Hey Bob

Thanks mate sounds like the road is kept in pretty good nic then.

I went from Hugenden to Porcupine Gorge in mid 2009 and there was a bit of work there as well but have not been further up yet. Looking forward to checking it out though.

I agree that the graders will have probably been through by now so all should be OK.

Cheers

Joel
FollowupID: 763300

Follow Up By: Col D1 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 14:10

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 14:10
Joel,
Came down that way August last year towing a 21'van, a lot of corrugations which made it slow, but there was also a lot of roadworks going on .
We enjoyed the trip and loved the gorge, which has a good campground of the self registering type.
Col
FollowupID: 763693

Sponsored Links