Trans Aust Access Track

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 16:00
ThreadID: 96151 Views:1981 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi each

I traversed this last month-one of the best 'treks' we've been on for changing outback scenery and great camping - travelled Rawlinna-Kalgoorlie.

We got about halfway when the number of yellow flashing lights became almost blinding-akin to driving on a busy airport apron I would imagine.

Turns out they were Govt contracted vehicles laying a shot line (I think its called) to undertake seismic prospecting along the road.

Call me paranoid or synical if you like but I'd suggest anybody wanting to travel this wonderful road do it soon - it'll probably be closed to the public within a couple of years.

[Happy to be corrected on any of this if you work for the exploration department of the WA Government]

Geo

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:01

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:01
the GSWA or GA whoever dont close anything

all they do is collect information which is publiclly available

there have been many surveys of australia of many kinds

alot of australias geology is mapped to 100k

soil samples have been taken state wide etc

government seisimc surveys or any surveys arnt to detect minerals - they are to define the geology of the state and faults etc
AnswerID: 488107

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:03

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 19:03
as for closing land off

most land is closed in WA for agricultural purposes and as aboriginal land

only a tiny fraction of 1 % has been closed off for mining
FollowupID: 763307

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:01

Sunday, Jun 10, 2012 at 22:01
It still sounds like a pretty good drive.
Thanks for the heads up Geo. I'll put it on my list.

Steve
AnswerID: 488131

Reply By: redgp - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:06

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:06
Thanks for this,

Planning to do this track September/October this year. Will enter at Kalgoorlie and turn North at Rawlinna up the Connie Sue and back to Perth via the Great Central H/W.

Question. How easy is it to find the start of the track in Kalgoorlie?

The railway access road is closed from Rawlinna W.A. to near the start of the Googs track in SA, we found a sign (at the Googs track end) that stated it was closed because of the dangers of the trains, but found out later the railway workers were sick of rescuing stranded travellers?

Like you, I hope this part of the track stays open.

Steve and Carol
AnswerID: 488169

Follow Up By: 222 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:11

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:11
Hi Steve and Carol

I'd say it'd be fairly easy to find at the Kalgoorlie/Coolgardie end. As I remember the track comes out onto a main bitumen road so the signpost on that road should be quite clear. But I was going the opposite way - into Kalgoorlie - so didn't take much notice.

I'd ask at the information centre in town - I'm sure they will be able to give you accurate directions so you don't inadvertently go past the turn off.

You'll love it - very, very good road to Rawlinna with simply the best campsites along the road. Some stretches are fenced along the southern side of the access track but we didn't see fences on some long stretches either. Just wait until there is no fencing then you can camp off the southern side of the road away from the train track if you'd prefer. The trains are great to film and photograph during the day but not necessarilly great when they thunder past close by at night if you are camped on the northern side close to the track.

I've heard on here that that section closed but I didn't enter via the Googs track intersection so I can't say.

Enjoy

Geo
FollowupID: 763394

Follow Up By: The other Norm C (WA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:15

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:15
G'Day Steve and Carol
When you head into Kal, if you take the bypass road(Anzac Drive) follow to the big round about Take 2nd exit to left onto Goldfields HWY. Then first on right (small sign to Access road) past the bottom end of super pit.Follow your nose heading toward Mount Monger turn Left onto Trans Aust. Access Line.You can go past Rawlinna to Haig next stop along the line but that's as far as your alowed to go East. Bit long winded but hopefully you get the idea
Norm
FollowupID: 763445

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 18:28

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 18:28
Hi Steve

It is truly a great drive and you will enjoy it. I do not know how this will pan out, but here is screen dump of Ozi showing the drive from Kal and if you are using OziExplorer, here is the link from when I added the Track.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 763581

Follow Up By: 222 - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 16:58

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 16:58
Hi Stephen

You turned us on to this trek and I'm sooooo grateful.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to do the Cocklebiddy-Rawlinna jaunt again unless it was essential - it took us just a tad less than 6 hours - the locals (including the lovely Barbara from the station whom we met en-route) said about 3 hours!*#!

I don't know how anybody could arrive the other end in one piece after traversing that track in 3 hours but...whatever.

We got onto the actual Access Road fairly late in the arvo (my wife chatted to Barbara for a lonnnng time) and had to make our first camp only about 34 kms from Rawlinna. As I crossed from the road to the northern side I collected a length of ancient fencing wire on my tailshaft.

But...I connected the trusty 5" angle grinder to the even-more-trusty inverter and had it cut up and off in seconds...I've dragged that thing 'round so often and never needed it but - at last - it saved me an hour or so of clipping with pliers.

Sorry - can't upload pics but we got great stills and vid of trains going past - the lady driver even 'whistled' - and the work gangs I mention in this post.

Cheers Stephen
[We often camp on private property at Waterloo - love Clare]

Cheers

Geo

FollowupID: 763624

Sponsored Links