Caravan Parks in Darwin - any good ones?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:03
ThreadID: 96172 Views:2226 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to be in Darwin in mid/late July and am after some recommendations for caravan parks. I realise that I may have to put up with whatever is available given I haven't booked yet but has anyone stayed at a reasonable standard, kid friendly park recently? I have checked Badgers & other review sites & there are very mixed reviews so am a bit confused as to where to stay. Thanks, Rachael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:34

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:34
We have stayed at the Lee Point Caravan Park and can recommend it. It is not in the city centre, but not very far out. Great swimming pool! This is the link to their web site.
Lee Point Village
AnswerID: 488174

Reply By: Ron N - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:51

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:51
Rachel - Book immediately for July - you will find Darwins caravan parks are fully booked for this period, and you may be struggling to find ANY room in ANY caravan park - let alone the park of your choice.
The NT school holidays are 22nd June - 23rd July, and the place is overflowing with Southerners getting away from the cold in mid-July.
In 2008, we made the mistake of not booking ahead fully, and nearly ended up sleeping in the car in mid-July - and I'm talking about ANY type of accommodation.
Motels, hotels, caravan parks were all fully booked, with hardly a single vacancy in that period. We were extremely lucky to find a cabin cancellation.
Nothing much has changed in that time, Darwin is absoutely booming with State growth at 15%, ahead of W.A.'s 14% annual growth.

Cheers - Ron.
AnswerID: 488176

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:52

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 15:52
Hi,
I stayed at Lee Point some ten years ago. Found it very good not far out but a lot of midges / sand flies. ensuites were good.
PeterH
FollowupID: 763398

Reply By: Pradobob - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:29

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 16:29
Rachael,
lWe stayed in Shady Glen CP or the whole of August last year. Nice park, except for the sometimes noisy scrap metal yard across the road. It is about 10 minutes from Darwin CBD, via the new Tiger Brennan Drive.
Nice pool, grassed sites, kid friendly, night-time entertainment twice a week etc Facilities are well kept and cleaned daily.
The park was not full at any point during our stay, but July might be different, as I think their Show is on then.
The parks in and around Darwin have one thing in common. They are all overpriced.
Bob
AnswerID: 488187

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:44

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:44
KOA Park at Malak is only a short drive from the city. Clean anf comfortable. Cheers.

Roger B...
AnswerID: 488223

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:12

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 23:12
Free Spirit at Pinelands get my tick of approval having just left there after a relaxing fortnights stay. Not the closest park to the CBD by any means..... But then you won't be going into Darwin every day. Three pools kids activities & genuinely friendly staff.
As previously mentioned where ever you decide to stay book NOW!!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488229

Reply By: scoots68 - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 00:08

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 00:08
Thanks all for your replies. I think we should be there just as the school holidays end so that will hopefully relieve some of the pressure but I will attempt to book somewhere now, I was just hoping not to be too tied down to a fixed time. Interesting that everyone has a different view & all those recommended have had ordinary reports on badgers so I guess it's just pot luck really. Often peoples expectations vary as well. Thanks again to all who replied.
AnswerID: 488234

Sponsored Links