L/R, fuel tanks

Ok all you 4x4 buffs, I live in Perth and have Just been to lake Eyre for three weeks, and with all trips you come up with new problems . I have a Nissan Pathfinder TI550, and although we were getting about 475 klms, out of a tank of diesel, there were times when we could have done with another 150 klms or more as the Null-abor has some pretty pricey fuel, so I am thinking of having a L/R tank fitted, the question is who do you see and what capacity do I get fitted and is it some thing that is easily done. I have never had one before on any of my 4x4's always carried Jerry cans any sugestions.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: redgp - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:44

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:44
We travel from Perth to Tasmania every year to watch our son in the Targa Tasmania car race.

We have found large savings by having 1000klms (even better with 1500klms) range to get from one reasonable price diesel outlet to the next.

Not sure how long it takes to save the $1000.00 - $1300.00 it costs for the install of the long range tank, but do know it sure beats the hassle of decanting Jerrys, and it is a great peace of mind knowing you get across Oz on three tanks full.

Try "Longranger"they seem to have tanks for just about all the makes.

Steve and Carol.
AnswerID: 488166

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:49

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:49
Thanks for the info Steve do you know who carries them over here.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763370

Follow Up By: redgp - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:17

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:17
ARB are there agents here in Perth.
Longranger have a 95 litres aux tank for the older Pathfinder (up to 05) but have not yet developed one for the 05 onwards model.
FollowupID: 763372

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:10

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:10
Depending on the size of your tank and the 475k's from a tank full I would think it is not much. Exactly how big is the tank OR what fuel was used for the 475km.
This will give a basis on what to comment on more accurately.

However, presuming it is an 80 litre tank and you are using 75 of them in the 475km.
That is only 6.33 km/litre or 17 to 18 mpg. You must be towing a big heavy caravan too, you didn't mention that if you are.
My old HJ61 turbo LC gave 7.3 or 21 mpg towing/moving an all up weight of 4 ton under similar circumstances.
Always quote fuel used and distance because "tank full" doesn't say much really.

For the occasional times when you use/need the extra fuel it would be possible to have a portable plastic diesel tank of a suitable size and configuration, fitted with an external 12v electric car type pump and use this to deliver the fuel into the Pathy tank when required.
There are lots of options for plastic tanks and car pumps these days.

Far far cheaper than a long range tank and no extra weight when you don't need to use it and a lot lighter too.

Regards

Ross M
AnswerID: 488170

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:44

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 13:44
We were towing a 96 Roadstar caravan, sitting on 95/100 k/per, it has a 80 litre tank in it, using diesel fuel, on most occasions we still had a quarter or just below a quarter of a tank before we refuelled, better to be safe than sorry, coming back into Norseman, we had the fuel warning light come on but we had done 503 k's on that one and only occasion, and when we filled up it took 77 litres, and I had set the cruise control to 90k's, about a hundred klm's out of Norseman.
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763375

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:06

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 17:06
I thought there would be a caravan involved with figures like that. I just guessed at the 80 lite tank. That's not too bad considering size weight and wind resistance though.
The plastic tank I suggested would sit in the rear of the Pathy or even under the van.
I looked at LR tanks for my vehicle and when I need to I will use the portable system. On a camper van I put a Daihatsu Applause fuel tank with internal pump under the front, holds 60L and I use it's own built in electric pump to download the fuel when having a beverage or cuppa.
So I have a long range campervan I suppose.

Ross M
FollowupID: 763410

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 18:21

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 18:21
Thanks for that Ross, it is certiantly worth exploring as I had not even thought of doing anythig like that, I suppose that's what you get when you have a fixed mind on doing something.
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763422

Reply By: Daniel W2 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:03

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 19:03
Gday Broodie,

We done a 6 month lap around the island in 09 and i had the same thoughts.

I settled on a couple of 20Ltr gerry cans.

Other than a bit of inconvenience of having to pour them into the main talk and storage could be a problem, a lot cheaper than L/R tank.

Cheers
Dan
AnswerID: 488197

Reply By: GT Campers - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 20:17

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 20:17
Easy:

http://thelongranger.com.au/navaralongrangefueltank.html

AnswerID: 488202

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 12:39
gt campers,you were correct in saying the under carriage is different, I rang Nissan and they told me even the tank space is different from the wagon to the ute, and it appears that no one is making a tank for the v6 diesel yet as there is no great demand for them yet, as they haven't been around all that long and don't seem to be selling all that well. We are very happy with the pathy it does everything the Hi-lux did and is more comfortable, and lighter on fuel. thanks for the info GT
Broodie h3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763559

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 13:24

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 13:24
Hey no worries, always happy to help. The Pathfinder (petril, diesel or V6 diesel) is not a particularly strong tourer (off-road) so there may not be much demand for a big tank to suit it. If you sih, check out Dolium in WA; they may have a small above-spare-tyre aux tank that can be adpated to suit the Pathy's butt...maybe!
FollowupID: 763690

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 13:59

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 13:59
I was talking to my little brother the other day and he is going to make me one, as he says it's all to easy for him. he's a boilermaker. and has made them for others before and has had no problems with them, so my solution is now solved, and as I have all the necessary equipment here to do it he reckons it will be a breeze, all I have to do is get the other one out. I'll let you know how it works out.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763692

Follow Up By: GT Campers - Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 20:01

Friday, Jun 15, 2012 at 20:01
Well that is good, if he has done them before he will know that designing and constructing a long range fuel tank to fit the available space, carry the dynamic loads of the fuel and maintain all vehicle serviceability/maintenance attributes is a surprisngly complicated task
FollowupID: 763727

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:50

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:50
This is the only thing I can find on the Longranger site - Site Link - here is a chance for you to star as a designer.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 763767

Reply By: Sapper D - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 20:17

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 20:17
G,Day Brodie
Have just fitted a Ironman -145ltr long range tank to my new Navara 550, which I think is a ute version of your TI.----I think the under carriage on both is identical, and the Ironman tank is made to suit the Navara/Pathfinder.---pull the 80 ltr out, and the 145ltr fits straight in, neat as a pin-----Cost was $1000 fitted with warranty
Hope this helps,,,,,, Sapper D
AnswerID: 488203

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:52

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:52
Hi Sapper, could you let me know where to go and check the iron man out, and you are right the under carriage is the same, and for a grand it willl make our forth coming trip up the csr that much easier, with a couple of jerry cans as reserve. thanks sapper
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 763444

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:48

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 11:48
Navara tanks will not fit the pathfinder. The chassis from the drivers seat back is completely different. The chassis is much shorter, the suspension is different (leaf Vs coil) and the cross members are in different places.

To fit the D40 replacement tank you would need to cut the back seat foot well out of the Pathfinder. The Navara auxiliary tank fits around a chassis cross member that is simply not there in the R51.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 763766

Reply By: GT Campers - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:44

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:44
Double check the undercarriage - although based on similar architecture, one is leaf and one coil-sprung so there will be differences that may affect the fit.

The link I posted is for AUSTRALIAN MADE tanks, made by The Long Ranger in Newcastle
AnswerID: 488250

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:33

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 21:33
i made my own long range tank, 102ltrs with dints!!
its heavy and the extra weight isnt welcome when i dont need it, 2h slugger! hj47 tray.

i too would next time go down the plastic tank in the tray, quick disconnect, 12vlt transfer pump, and remove when not required, but being plastic it could stay on the vehicle as not much weight to carry around.
i dont have much room to play with on my gvm, soo weight is critical.
cost wise id be in front with the plastic tank too, time making template, cut, folding, tacking up, install and welding takes TIME.
then if it leaks you got to pull it out and grind weld, and re weld it.

aluminium isnt an option either, as the weld pool is full of porous holes, and to repair a leak would be a nightmare, as the diesel would soak into the material.

if weight isnt an issue, long range it, if it is then go the plastic route.

my main is only 60, soo i had to make a long range tank, one day i want to make a bigger main tank, and get a plastic tank as 2nd tank.
AnswerID: 488491

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:08

Saturday, Jun 16, 2012 at 12:08
Here are some leads:

Brown Davis - 130 litres -Longrange Automotive -120 litres.

Note there are 2 companies, Longrange Automotive and The Long Ranger, don't get them mixed.

Any good 4WD mob should be able to source them for you (maybe except for an ARB dealer as ARB is connected with The Long Ranger.) The catch with the R51 is that the replacement tank displaces the spare tyre and you have to relocate it. You can however have an extra 40 or 50 litres of fuel carried safely.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488613

Sponsored Links