Tech question - Aircon fan

Submitted: Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:01
ThreadID: 96197 Views:3147 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone,

The aircon fan in my 2004 Navara has decided to stop working on fan speed 1, 2 and 3, but is fine on 4.

This is just the fan I'm talking about and has no (obvious) relationship to the airconditioning unit, which works fine when the fan's on 4. The fan doesn't work, aircon or no.

So the question is, is there anything that connects the fan settings 1, 2 and 3 that doesn't involve the 4th speed?

I spent a few minutes trying to get behind the switch in the dash but is proving difficult to get in with an electrical tester. Could it just be the switch or more likely the fan unit itself?

Any ideas before I get cannibalistic on the dash board?

Thanks,

Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:10

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:10
The switch in the dash is not the problem, it is the multi coil load resistor, usually 3 or 4 wires which is below the dash in the airstream between the fan unit and the heater unit.
The reson 4th speed works is because it doesn't rely on the resistor as it is full 12v to fan motor n speed 4. 1.2.3 all use the resistor.
The resistor coils in there will open circuit and will have to be replaced.
It is usually held in with a couple of screws.

Wreckers are the best option and any 4 speed Nissan car or 4wd unit will probably fit and be quite ok.

Ross M
AnswerID: 488209

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 06:29

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 06:29
Agree it will be the fan resistor but price a new one first. A second hand one will be the same age as yours so may not have much life left. There are also aftermarket ones for some of the more common vehicles so you may be lucky and find one to suit yours. Bob.
FollowupID: 763455

Reply By: GT Campers - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:37

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 09:37
yeah - what they said. My old'93 Pathy fan was 'flat chat' only - and it is identical under the skin (heater system etc) as your 2004 Navara.
AnswerID: 488249

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:42

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:42
Hi Guys, I have an Xtrail and like Matt have lost fan speed No 2 so am pleased to find out what is causing the problem. I will now investigate and see if I can find this faulty bugger.

Rob
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 488274

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 15:43

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2012 at 15:43
Matt,

I do not want to hijack your thread but the Troopie had the same problem as your Navara and thanks to the replies from your thread I was able to fix the Troopie.

The fan on the Troopie is easy to get to so that was removed, no sign of any electrical problems.

Next, once the fan was removed I found 4 wires that looked like they belonged to the fan. Unplugged and the assembly removed. Turned out to be the fan resistor and it was broken in a few places.

Checked out a few wreckers and they are a very popular part, so off to Toyota. Ordered one this morning, picked it up this afternoon. The cost from the wreckers $50-$60. A new one from Toyota $70 with 12 months warranty.

Just imagine a Toyota having the same problem as a Nissan.

Wayne

AnswerID: 488380

Sponsored Links