First Solo 4WD Trip

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 962 Views:1957 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I will be travelling for 5 weeks during the month of June and July 2002 using fully equipped Landrover from Austrax. I want to experience outback driving and camping. I have researched this topic to such an extent that I am now overloaded with information. As a lone traveller I would appreciate any hints and tips regarding tracks and areas to visit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 14, 2002 at 00:00
Peter, where will you starting from and roughly where abouts would you like to go?
AnswerID: 2834

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
Hi John, I will be starting and ending in Melbourne and would like to take in central, North Eastern Autralia, the Oodnadatta track, Tanami Road and possibly Gibbs River Road. Only I have no idea of how long I would need to cover this area and get back to Melbourne in five weeks.
FollowupID: 1091

Reply By: Mike - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Peter, all of this trip is poosible in 5 weeks however, you won't see anything, as it will be sliding past your windows too quickly. I would suggest that you remove the gibb River Rd from the itinery this time and the rest would still be a huge trip. Why not, for your first run, just travel as far as the Red Centre and you will have plenty of time to do the area properly. There is plenty around there to fill a few weeks. The Oodnadatta track is definitely the way to go though. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the world of 4WD. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 2840

Reply By: Sean - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Peter
I agree, forget about the Gibb river for a 5 week trip and spend more time enjoying beer'o'clock each afternoon.

Sean
AnswerID: 2848

Reply By: Gordon - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Peter, my wife and I did our second outback trip last year. In 3 weeks (ex Brisbane) we did Eyre's Rock, the Olgas and Mereenie Loop via Innamincka and Boulia. My comments would be 1. Time goes quickly in the outback: We could have easily spent another 2 weeks around Alice; 2. Learn from others: We were glad to be travelling with my b-in-law who is a seasoned outback traveller; 3. We learned alot about equipment and how to make travelling easier, safer and more enjoyable; 4. Test your set-up: As a result of our experience last year we have changed our set-up considerably for our next trip which means it will be easier to travel further and longer. Your first trip should be a short one. Our only hard and fast rules are (A) 4.00 PM is beer o'clock and time to set camp; and (B) its a holiday (NOT a "bin there, dun that" exercise so..YOU VILL ENJOY!! 4.00PM gives plenty of time to set camp and reflect on the day before night fall. Happy trails.
AnswerID: 2851

Reply By: rich - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Peter, cut your trip in half, you'll enjoy it much more. E.G. I ran Hay - Broken Hill - Tibooburra - Innamincka - Birdsville - Boulia - Alice - Uluru in 6 weeks, and the last 36 hours of that was FLATCHAT driving back from Uluru to ACT (I needed another week!). As a seasoned solo traveller, my best advice (without writing an essay) is, 1. Take your time. 2. Respect your health and safety, you don't get far without them.
cheers, have fun.
AnswerID: 2862

Reply By: kim McFarland - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Peter,
The advice you have received so far is very good. I have done a number of trips to the centre and it seems that no matter how long I take its too short. I'm also thinking of doing a solo trip at the same time as you (for the third year running)and am based in Melbourne. If you need any help or advice contact me on kmcfarland@casey.vic.gov.au
AnswerID: 2867

Sponsored Links