Caravan park in Alice springs

I've had heavitree Gap and McDonnell Range caravan park both recommended. The Heavitree apparently has rock wallabies that come in to be hand fed, but there are a lot of permanent workers who get up at 5am to go to work. Some mixed reports on the cleanliness there.
Mostly good reports about McDonnell range.

We are travelling with a camper trailer, will probably book a power site but can go unpowered.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:52

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 21:52
Greetings Carolyn L

Stayed at McDonnel Range twice last year - great park, friendly staff, programmed activities if you want to be involved, clean and tidy. Out of town towards Airport but pretty quiet.

Highly recommended - cheers.

SCOEY

AnswerID: 488214

Reply By: snapper49 - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:26

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:26
GDay Mate we stayed at
Very good neat and tidy and friendly
AnswerID: 488220

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:30

Monday, Jun 11, 2012 at 22:30
Stayed in both. Most times while driving coaches with school groups at McDonnell. Good facilities, clean etc.

Heavitree, privately because McDonnell is far more expensive. Heavitree is a resort style but the camping area is sparce and the toilets aren't real well kept. If you don't need the better facilities then the lower one will do. You select.

AnswerID: 488221

Follow Up By: baz&pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:49
Stayed at McDonnell CVP year before last $43 per night, there are other parks .
Cheers
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 763463

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:03

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:03
McD Ranges is the premium park, but it comes at a price $$ - been there quite a few times - everything is spotless. Tried G'day Mate across the road once, less frills, bit squeezier, cheaper as a result and quite ok - will try them again next trip for sure.
AnswerID: 488253

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 12:42
Another vote for G'Day mate - stayed there last year and was fine. Much cheaper than the Big4 (McD Ranges) across the road, which we have stayed at on previous trips.

Will stay at G'Day Mate next time we're in Alice.

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 763484

Reply By: Carolyn L - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:54
Thanks Guys - will confer with the princesses - I think I can guess which way they will go ; ) Although, having said that, if McDonnell Park has school buses coming in then they will go across the road for sure! They were less than impressed with the behavious of high school kids on our trip to Wilpena last year. ; )
AnswerID: 488259

Reply By: Pradobob - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:13

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 13:13
Last year, we stayed in Stuart caravan park (twice.) It was about $30/night with FP discount. Nice park, very secure, clean and well located.
Bob
AnswerID: 488273

Reply By: DesF - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 19:47

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 19:47
Usually stop at the Stuart Park, always pretty good and reasonable.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 488303

Reply By: Mark, Michelle & Abraham (NT) - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2012 at 21:36
MacDonnell Range is without a doubt the best park in the Centre. Until we moved back into town from the communities it was where I spent a lot of time in a camper trailer with my son on School of the Air trips and the shorter school holidays. In fact there was time when we would pull up out the front and by the time we came inside the girls would have everything ready to go for us. Maybe a tad more expensive but in my opinion worth it, and if you are a Big4 member you get the discount. Great park, great staff cant sing its praises enough.
Every place visited is a new experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 488314

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:56

Thursday, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:56
Hi Carolyn.
McDonnell range for sure if you have kids. Heavitree used to be a great campground but not any more.
Teenage bus tour groups any where are very unpleasant especially in the ablution blocks, in particular, The females.

The Heritage is good for camping where you can have you're own camp fires. It used to be anyway, out in the bush area.
If you're just man & wife it would be good & quiet. even If you don't want a
campfire. Nice & quiet for us .

Heavitree used to have a great section where you could have you're own private fire . They have the little Wallabies .
it's all changed now, we won't go there again. Doubtful cleanliness.
Perhaps you could go there for a meal & feed the Wallabies but I think you have to book for the meals, we haven't eaten there but I think the Restaurant would be
up to scratch. They have teenage bus groups too.

McDonnells have been developing & there are some nice areas up the back but
the last time we were there these tent sites were just above the bus camps.
There's some nice areas for a camper trailer , but in the busy season you are given a site & that's that. It is spotlessly clean & has rainwater tanks.

It isn't safe to be out on the streets at night. In The Alice, there's a nic e Park
out Past Kittle's To yota I think it's called Wintersun but is quite small but unless you cook your own you have to go out at night. It's on the left.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
AnswerID: 488445

Sponsored Links