need advice on best tyres for off roading

Submitted: Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:47
ThreadID: 9622 Views:1589 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have 1985 much loved 60 series land cruiser 4Ltr Diesel

have recently discovered the joys and tribulations of "off roading". I need some advice on what the best combination of wheels and tyres would be for road and off road useage.
Have 235/85 road tyres currently, 5 hours later in the otways stuck in mud i decided the tyres i have need replacing.

Have been given conflicing infomation from tyre dealers, and mates, what i really need to know is -

1. what is best for my land cruiser, gearing and power wise
2.what size rim ? 15" or 16"
3.Fat or thin ?
4. MT or AT ?
5.what brand is best ?
if any one has suggetions i would be grateful
thanks
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: maverick - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:58

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 20:58
steve, this should be good. you will no doubt get a zillion replies. if you have the $ and room to store then leave what you have on for the road and get a set of 15" m/t when playing - as for brand - again if the $ are plentiful cooper are v good, bfg are v good, bridgestone are good, wrangler are ok and the list goes on. if you want only one set and don't wish to change wheels then a set of cooper or bfg or bridgestone a/t will be plenty good enough. work out how much will be around town on bitumen (don't kid yourself - it will only cost money in wasted tyres) and buy appropriately. Also don't get too down on your tyres if stuck in the mud - also a lot to do with technique and other stuff. maybe have a talk to other like minded / vehicle people (i know - that's why you wrote into here) and see what they are using. also m't tyres will 'flick' up heaps of stones, mud etc so be prepared for that. they are also noisier on the road but a 1985 tojo - just wind down the window and enjoy it. welcome to the off road fold. rgds
AnswerID: 42400

Follow Up By: steve c - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:54

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:54
thanks for your sugesstions
FollowupID: 304880

Reply By: Andi - Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:07

Friday, Jan 09, 2004 at 21:07
Hey Steve

My 1989 GXL 60 series Petrol has been shod with BF Goodrich All Terrains for the past 3 years.
Same tyres now with 50,000 on em and going strong. they are on my standard steel 15 inch rims and are 31x10.5's (whatever that is in the new scale). Never a prob in wet dry mud, slip a little on loose stuff in the corners (but what doesnt a little when you are doing 60ks on gravel)

Thought they were pricey at approx $220 3 years ago till we fitted Pirelli to my wifes commodore at $400 EACH!! But at least they dont slip EVER.
AnswerID: 42404

Reply By: Paul - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:05

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:05
Steve,
I bought a old 81 LC ute about 12 months ago, it had a couple of brand new Goodyear MTR's on the front and some half worn Toyo's on the rear. After I'd ripped the sidewalls on one each of the brands and destroyed them I started thinking this not much fun. The MTRs had a 3 ply sidewall and the Toyos only two ply. I could remember when I was a kid on my uncle's property driving the old Landy everywhere & never destroying a tyre & started wondering why this was so. It was because the old cross ply tyres have about a 12 ply sidewall that makes them near to bullet proof compared to radials.
I bought a set of 7.50x16, 12 ply MRFs at $163 each & haven't buggered one of them yet. The old girl is a little less direct in the steering on the bitumen & they are pretty noisy but I can go truly off road now or to put it more precisely off track.
If I was just intending to be an "Aussie Adventurer" and stick to the bitumen and defined dirt tracks I'd probably stay with radials probably (quieter) but these crossplys take a lot of the worry out of going over true rough country full of stakes & sharp rocks. I haven't noticed any difference in the grip between them & the radials & even though they are narrower they are a larger diameter which may account for this. I live in Mt Isa and virtually any place of interest here requires a 4wd so I've given the crossplys a pretty good try out so far. Even getting up a bit of mud up here now.
Paul
AnswerID: 42430

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:21

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:21
In the Otways the best things are Caterpillar tracks...full stop...middle of the summer and you can still be up to your eyeballs down there in Mud!

As to tyres. I used to run 235-85's MT's on my '91 Maverick and they were brilliant in the mud, gave a bit more ground clearance than the 215/75's(?) that were standard on the 6" rims as well as a bit of extra width. They did sap a little power from the rig tho, but marginal.

Fat or thin depends on what your really doing, if you want to play lots in the mud it also depends on the type of Mud, if you want to drive across A Western District paddock to look at your cows then you may need some of the "float" characteristic that wider tyres provide, if its muddy track work then the wideness is not so important as you need to "bite" thru the mud and get under it to something bordering on solid ground to get some grip, so fat or thin muddies are horses for courses IMHO as they'll both shed the mud (i.e. self clean the tread so it doesnt turn into a huge muddy donut.

Mind you once down the Otways when I was being hauled out by the SES in a HUGE 4WD tractor the rear tractor tyres did this muddy donut trick right before my eyes going thru one mudhole.

At this juncture I will be trying Cooper ST's as my next tyres although I just read that someone was on Goodyear MTR's as the Coopers chipped badly, Jemima tells me that Coopers have solved this chipping problem. Ask Truckster about MTR's he's had them on the family wagon and should be able to give you a report.

All the best SteveLaterally Literal
Seriously Cerebral
AnswerID: 42442

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:36

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 10:36
Bonz, reckon you are right. It was the first thing that came into my mind rather than tyres.

A mate went to Tassie and showed me in a photo where he winched himself through. I had to ask why he actually got himself into the position in the first place. I think decisions need to be made for the best route rather than suggest equipment chages each type of mud or sand. Good decisions are usually the best tool.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
FollowupID: 304884

Follow Up By: Moose - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 14:49

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 14:49
Hey Bonz - the Cooper mud pattern do not chip - it's the ST's sure do (or at least they used to). Hadn't heard that they changed the design as that is where the problems eminated from.
FollowupID: 305033

Reply By: rors101 - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:17

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:17
IMHO... Every tyre is a compromise - just be realistic about how much time you spend in the mud etc?. If you have the time and money two sets are ideal. I have been using 265/75/16 bfg at ko's on my patrol and cant praise them enough as being an ALL terrain tyre having just completed 30,000 km from sydney to perth via cape york, gulf, grr etc etc. No complaints however with all the abuse they have now received i will not risk using them on a similar (often very remote) trip for fear of punctures etc.
They still have 70% tread but with so many scars, scrapes, chips etc and the fact that i have 5mm less tread as a buffer (10/15mm) from punctures I will be going for a set of thin 12ply truck tyres for my next expedition and future general use - they are cheap reliable and bullet proof - no good for mud, ok for rock and the same on sand except you have to use lower pressures because the side walls are so dam thick!!.
For weekend trips and general fun in mud etc I will eventually replace my current at's with mt's or something more extreme.
AnswerID: 42455

Reply By: paulw - Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:52

Saturday, Jan 10, 2004 at 18:52
If you are talking whats best for the Otways
Its 16" Rims, Thin, deep tread, with Large Gaps.
If you really want to get some where bring your snow chains!!!.
The chains bite in to the clay and dont clog up.
It wasn't the Wye Track you got bogged on was it?
I was there 3 weeks ago and only just made it through.
AnswerID: 42500

Reply By: bigboy - Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 20:30

Sunday, Jan 11, 2004 at 20:30
I run 33 x 12.50 R15 mongrels on my L/C HJ60 ....
BEST TYRE I FOUND OFFROAD .... I THINK THE RRP IS $250-00
I RUN A 15 X 8 RIMS..

I THINK THERE IS STILL A SET FOR SALE IN THE TRADER(EXPLOROZ TRADER)

AnswerID: 42602

Sponsored Links